Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Twitter

Popular This Week

Critical Role 2nd Campaign 3D Animated Fanimation.

*LONG POST*

So for the last week, I have been working on a 3D Animated Fanimation for some snippets of the new campaign. I'm a 3D animation student and I thought it'd be a fun challenge to take some cuts from the new campaign and make an animation to them.

I am going for low poly because its easier to model and rig in a sense. I have modeled 6 out of the 8 characters (Frumkin being the 8th character), and have almost finished rigging Jester. It's going to take a bit until I can completely finish my first animation which is only going to be around 30 seconds in length. But I am hoping that once I have a lot of the assets made I can produce more throughout the coming months.

I will be using the preception neuron motion-capture suit so the movements should be somewhat "realistic" therefore animating shouldn't be too much of a hassle, though it will still be hard. I want to also add nice looking camera shots, depth of field, and motion to make it feel like a truly good animation.

I have never really posted anything within the community so I just wanted to gauge everyone thoughts on this. Whether they would want to see it completed, maybe some fan-favorite moments within the campaign I could refer to for an animation stuff like that.

Here is a link to an unlisted video on my youtube channel with some render test ->

Road Bumps

Cloth - With so much cloth in a fantasy world that one thing that's going to be an issue with simulation but I hope to get over that.

Low poly – With low poly modeling there are some key features that I had to not include because of the small size and difficulty in adding them to a character.

Facial Features – I decided to not go with facial features because of animation time and it doesn't really fit with the style I'm going for, I hope to achieve character through the voice of the actors who play the character and through the movements I will create.

Render times – I will be using the Redshift renderer on my rendering computer to put out the rendered shots. Though it looks beautiful. It takes time. I am aiming for a 5 minute or less render with GI and depth of field. So if its max a 5 minute render per frame and I want a 30-second animation that would be 900 frames x 5 minutes which is 75 hours on one pc. Which is days of rendering unless I can find a way to increase render speed. By either optimizing the scene which means removing some quality or pay for a render farm.

I know its a long post but the point is, after a week and hours of work to model the characters I guess I just am kinda burning out a tad. Not that I don't wanna continue but I feel like my end product is so far. But I know I'm getting closer and closer to my final product which is nice. Heres a list of some things I need to complete for my final animation.

• Background characters, lots of different colors, races, shapes, and sizes.
  • Supporting characters.
  • Props and weapons.
  • I need to model Yasha and Frumkin
  • I need to rig EVERYONE, Background, and supporting characters.
  • I need to record Main character mocap, supporting character mocap, and background character mocap.
  • I need to create the scene in which the animation will take place.
  • I need to record camera motion and set up camera placements.
  • I need to storyboard my scene.
  • I need to set up lighting.
  • And etcetera.

Theres a lot to be
done but I think it will be a fun project to work on for the next
few weeks.

Id like your
opinions cause I could go on all day talking about this.

I also hope to post
updates along the way like the video above. And maybe even after I
make the video I could make a making of video going throught the
proces.

Comments

• *Update 1*

So update! I have spent the last two days trying to rig what I thought would be the most simple character, Caleb. Yesterday I rigged Caleb up to perfection, but I needed the bottom part of his overcoat thing to actually act like cloth. I tried multiple ways to rig it using IK's and nhairs. I was unfamiliar with nCloth and I was afraid to touch it. But through hours of trial, error, and crashes I submitted to nCloth and learned how to do it. At the end of my day (which is about 1 pm as I have a flipped sleep schedule) I finally believed I had solved my cloth problem but had another problem with the rig not working with my motion capture files. I decided that since I believe to have solved my cloth problem, and since I know how to do everything else I would start a new tomorrow and rig Caleb once more.

So today I woke up around 1:30 am, I spent a few hours waking up, eating, watching Arrow then at 4 am I got to work. The best thing was is that I got to work while I watched the newest critical role in the background. I created the Caleb rig, had cloth simulation working and everything rigged in just two hours. With that rig done I could base my other character meshes around it to easier rig it. All in all, today I was able to rig Caleb, Nott, Fjord, and Beauregard. I know that Jester will be the hardest to rig while Molly and Yasha are and should be the same difficulty as the others.

I still need to model Yasha, because she is a little harder to do in my eyes so I've been holding it off. I need to create at least 3 types of males and 3 types of females as background characters with a bunch of varying colors. And some supporting characters for my short clip of animation. But once done with all that I will be VERY close.

I'll be excited to finish the rigs and release some cool renders with poses and all that!