Fan playlists

After looking at all the character playlists on the Critical Role section of the site, I decided I wanted to play this game, too. Here is my playlist for Vox Machina - one song for each character, plus one for the group as a whole.

https://open.spotify.com/user/haverwench/playlist/4Fjz0mshWWGVD5T6dAGyuy

1. Anvil of Crom, from Conan the Barbarian

Grog, the party's massive Goliath barbarian, needs a big, sweeping theme song. What could be more appropriate than the intro from the film Conan the Barbarian, which inspired the whole character class? The pounding drums and blaring horns are the perfect soundtrack to swing a massive axe to.

2. Book of Days, by Enya

The ethereal music of Enya seemed like a perfect choice for Keyleth, the nature-loving druid who is the heir to the Air tribe of the Ashari people. The lyrics to this particular song reflect the spiritual quest she's currently undertaking, the Aramente, in which she must journey to the four corners of the world (the D&D world, unlike ours, has corners) to meet with the heads of the other tribes and uncover her own hidden strengths.

3. The Gauntlet, by Nathan Rogers

The gunslinger Percy is a man driven by a thirst for revenge against the people who killed his family. To illustrate this obsession, I've chosen this song by the scrappy Canadian singer-songwriter Nathan Rogers. It's an anthem to the goal of vengeance, the vow of a Nemesis who can't be turned aside.

4. Healing Hands, by Marc Cohn

Pike is the party's healer, a critical role (har!) for any band of adventurers. Marc Cohn's tender love song, with its references to "deeper grace" and "the holy grail," reflects Pike's faith as a cleric of Saranrae, the goddess of healing and redemption. And if the "healing" in the song seems to be a bit more sensual than spiritual in nature, well, you can always hear the lyrics as her fellow adventurer Scanlan's expression of his passion.

5. The Man With The Magic Touch, by the Brian Setzer Orchestra

Scanlan, that lovable rascal, seems to have a gift for turning any situation to his advantage - sometimes with his silver tongue, and sometimes with his magical musical skills. The "magic touch" in this song could also be interpreted as a reference to Bigby's Hand, one of the gnomish bard's favorite spells.

6. Journey of the Sorcerer, by the Eagles

Dragonborn sorcerer Tiberius has left the party, but I couldn't bear to leave him out of the playlist, so I've included "Journey of the Sorcerer" to send him on his way. The energetic, yet slightly eerie instrumental seemed appropriately draconic in tone. (Incidentally, this piece was also the theme to the 1980s radio series "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," which Tiberius, as a scholar, would no doubt appreciate.)

7. Lawyers, Guns and Money, by Warren Zevon

My husband suggested this song to represent the rogue Vax'ildan, who is always wandering off on his own and getting into trouble. Fortunately, he can count on the rest of the party to show up and bail him out - Percy with his gun, Vex with the money, and Scanlan in the guise of a lawyer named Burt Reynolds.

8. Hunting Girl, by Jethro Tull

This tale of a "high born hunting girl" seemed like the perfect choice for Vex'ahlia, the daughter of an elven king who's deadly with a bow. Although she doesn't tend to go around having "random encounters" with farmhands, she has been known to wink indiscriminately at gentlemen of all descriptions.

9. The Bear And the Maiden Fair, by the Hold Steady (from the Game of Thrones soundtrack)

The final member of the party is Vex'ahlia's bear companion, Trinket. He doesn't say much, but his devotion to Vex - and hers to him - is unswerving. This ballad from the Game of Thrones soundtrack relates a story much like theirs - a chance meeting between a bear and a maiden that transformed both their lives forever.

10. Magic Carpet Ride, by Steppenwolf

This one is for the party as a whole, in memory of the many rides they shared together on their late, lamented magic carpet. But it's also dedicated to dungeon master Matthew Mercer, the true wizard who has taken all of us fans on this magical ride of a story. As a bonus, the first line of the song refers to a "sound machine" - which happens to be a loose English translation of "vox machina." Spooky, or what?

By the way, I've never had a Spotify account until now - I set one up solely because I was so pleased with my new playlist and wanted to share it with other Critters. Anyone else want to play?

Comments

• Ok, I'll play the game.

Grog: Warrior - Disturbed
    This one should be pretty self explanatory. Grog is the bruiser of the group. He's always ready to roll heads and he does not let anyone stop him once he sets his mind to something. If you step up to this Goliath you better be ready to throw down or you'll find yourself numbered amongst the pile of bodies he's left in his wake.

Percy: Diamond Eyes - Shinedown
    Percy has always struck me as a man on a hair-trigger (pun intended). He presents himself as the calm, cool, and charismatic noble. However, if you push him, you will come to see the darkness that dwells within and, after your heart has filled with despair, he will end you.

Vex: Across the Line - Linkin Park
    I feel like Vex and Keyleth are the voices of reason in the group and they go about it in very different ways. With Vex it often feels like this desperate battle to keep her new family together. She is someone who has lost much and does not wish to lose any more.

Vax: Little Lion Man - Mumford and Sons
    Vax is a man who constantly sees himself as less than he should be. He has that nagging voice in the back of his mind saying "you can do more" "you should be better than this". So he feels like he has to live up to those unrealistic expectations and throw himself head first into danger.

Scanlan: Dick in a Box - The Lonely Island
    Again, not a hole lot to read into this. It's Scanlan. He's the scoundrel that we all know and love and we're all constantly waiting for all his nonsense to blow up in his face in spectacular fashion. However, while we wait, it is so much fun watching him weasel himself in and out of trouble.

Pike: Light Your Heart Up - Aimee BlackShleger
    Pike is the group's little ray of sunshine. Always ready to give a positive outlook on the situation, the little cleric with a heart bigger than any dragon is often the one spark in a sea of darkness.

Keyleth: Angels or Devils - Dishwalla
    Like Vex, Keyleth seems to be the one who is always ready to set everyone back on the right path. However, there is a clear conflict going on within her between her own morality and the grey areas that Vox Machina often works in.

Tibs: The Humbling River - Pucifer
    Tiberius is the proud dragonborn of the group. He is powerful, inteligent, and always ready to tell you that you're wrong and why. However, he often finds himself at odds with the opio

Bonus Mashup from the big reveal on ep 39
  • As far as ambient music goes, the group Anuna does a range from irish folk to latin polyphony chants.
  • haverwenchhaverwench Member
    edited March 2016 PM
    I must confess, I don't actually know any of the songs on crankdawg47's list - except "Dick in a Box," which I must confess is very suitable for Scanlan.

Anuna would be nice background music for the show, but there's that whole copyright thing.

By the way, I'm bummed out to discover that apparently it isn't possible to find my Critical Role playlist on Spotify by searching for it - presumably because I only have a free account. So it looks like the only people who will see it are the ones who read these forums.
  • After seeing Zahra and Kashaw rejoin Vox Machina in Episode 43, I decided all the guest characters on Critical Role should really get a playlist of their own. And since there are only a handful of those, I added a few songs for the NPCs who have been the team's most loyal allies. (I did not include a song for Garthok, since he only appeared briefly and we never learned that much about him as a character.)

http://open.spotify.com/user/haverwench/playlist/2K9apErqHEBtXX9ZxFF6RW

1. Heaven and Hell (3rd movement), by Vangelis

Zahra Hydris is one ass-kicking warlock, but this song reflects her gentler, moon-worshiping side. The title is appropriate for a being who bears the bloodlines of Hell but has chosen to turn her eyes toward the heavens. (PBS fans may recognize it as the theme from Cosmos - both the original version featuring Carl Sagan and the newer, slightly less cool one with Neil deGrasse Tyson.)

2. Mirror, Mirror, by Kat Eggleston

The wizard Lyra has one all-consuming passion in her life: her desperate longing for the warrior Aldor, who has absolutely no interest in her. This song, which Kat Eggleston calls a "portrait of obsession" rather than a love song, captures their relationship perfectly.

3. Faith Alone, by Bad Religion

If ever there was a completely bad religion, that religion must be the worship of Vesh, the evil goddess of destruction whose one priest is also her husband, Brother Kashaw - the healing force of good that exists to balance her in this plane. Being so intimately tied to a being he loathes has naturally left him bitter and pessimistic about the fate of the world, and unlike most clerics, he can never be sustained by faith alone.

4. Fight, by Gwar

As player Wil Wheaton put it, "Thorbir doesn't think that deeply." He just wants to find something to hit - and since he doesn't like anybody very much, pretty much anything will do.

5. Run Like Hell, by Pink Floyd

The character of Lillith Daturai only appears in one episode, but we learn two important things about her in that short time: she's a powerful illusionist, and she's fleeing for her life. So with her face made up in her favorite disguise, she runs, never stopping...knowing that at any moment the hammers could come to batter down her door and send her back to her sisters in a cardboard box.

6. Zombie Jamboree, by GrooveBarbers

Most necromancers tend to be, if not absolutely evil, at least rather dark and grim. Gern Blanston, by contrast, is a cheery, blue-skinned dragonborn who takes everything life throws at him, good or bad, with the same devil-may-care attitude. If his undead "friend-pets" can't do any good by taking part in a battle, he just instructs them to dance instead. Is there really any question what song should represent him?

7. The Enchantress, by Greg Joy

Allura Vysorin is an enchantress of extraordinary power. She made bags of holding as a child, and later apparently worked her way up to flying carpets - and she also had poor Tiberius entirely under her spell without even trying. I couldn't find a single song in my music collection to fit her, so I just searched "enchantress" on Spotify and listened to all the tracks until I found one that seemed to capture her bewitching spirit.

8. Theme from The Powerpuff Girls, by Jacqueline Vanderbilt

Lady Kima has obviously had an extra-large dose of Chemical X. Though she be but little, she is fierce. And like Bubbles, Blossom, and Buttercup, she has dedicated her life to fighting the forces of evil.

9. Wizards in Winter, by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra

The wizard Gilmore, of Gilmore's Glorious Goods, is a truly unforgettable character. This instrumental by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra is every bit as dazzling, flashy, and utterly fabulous as Gilmore himself.

10. Brothers in Arms, by Dire Straits

One more for the whole group, plus all their allies…and the ties that bind them together.
  • haverwenchhaverwench Member
    edited December 2016 PM
    Hey everyone...for anyone who's followed my original Vox Machina playlist on Spotify, I wanted to alert you that I've made a couple of changes to it. I was never that happy with "Healing Hands" as a song for Pike, and I didn't think "Hunting Girl" was ideal for Vex. Ultimately, I decided Vex and Trinket could share one song, since "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" is really about the two of them. So here's the new version below.

I'm thinking of updating the second list as well to include Shale and Jarrett, if I can find good songs for them. 

1. Prologue/Anvil of Crom, from Conan the Barbarian

Grog, the party's massive Goliath barbarian, needs a big, sweeping theme song. What could be more appropriate than the intro from the film Conan the Barbarian, which inspired the whole character class? The pounding drums and blaring horns are the perfect soundtrack to swing a massive axe to.

2. Book of Days, by Enya

The ethereal music of Enya seemed like a perfect choice for Keyleth, the nature-loving druid who is the heir to the Air tribe of the Ashari people. The lyrics to this particular song reflect the spiritual quest she's currently undertaking, the Aramente, in which she must journey to the four corners of the world (the D&D world, unlike ours, has corners) to meet with the heads of the other tribes and uncover her own hidden strengths.

3. The Gauntlet, by Nathan Rogers

The gunslinger Percy is a man driven by a thirst for revenge against the people who killed his family. To illustrate this obsession, I've chosen this song by Canadian singer-songwriter (and former prize-fighter) Nathan Rogers. It's an anthem to the goal of vengeance, the vow of a Nemesis who can't be turned aside.

4. The 23rd Psalm, by Bobby McFerrin

Pike is the party's healer, a critical role (har!) for any band of adventurers. Bobby McFerrin’s beautiful setting of the 23rd Psalm, with the lyrics altered to describe a female God, reflect Pike's faith as a cleric of Saranrae, the goddess of healing and redemption. In the presence of her foes, in the darkest and dreariest of lands, Pike knows her goddess will not forsake her.

5. The Man With The Magic Touch, by the Brian Setzer Orchestra

Scanlan, that lovable rascal, seems to have a gift for turning any situation to his advantage - sometimes with his silver tongue, and sometimes with his magical musical skills. The "magic touch" in this song could also be interpreted as a reference to Bigby's Hand, one of the gnomish bard's favorite spells.

6. Journey of the Sorcerer, by the Eagles

Tiberius, the dragonborn sorcerer, has left the party, but I couldn't bear to leave him out of the playlist, so I've included "Journey of the Sorcerer" to send him on his way. The energetic, yet slightly eerie instrumental seemed appropriately draconic in tone. (Incidentally, this piece was also the theme to the 1980s radio series "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," which Tiberius, as a scholar, would no doubt appreciate.)

7. Lawyers, Guns and Money, by Warren Zevon

My husband suggested this song to represent the rogue Vax'ildan, who is always wandering off on his own and getting into trouble. Fortunately, he can count on the rest of the party to show up and bail him out - Percy with his gun, Vex with the money, and Scanlan in the guise of a lawyer named Burt Reynolds.

8. The Bear And the Maiden Fair, by the Hold Steady (from the Game of Thrones soundtrack)

Vex’ahlia, the elven ranger, is never to be seen without her loyal bear companion, Trinket. He doesn't say much, but his devotion to Vex - and hers to him - is unswerving. This ballad from the Game of Thrones soundtrack relates a story much like theirs - a chance meeting between a bear and a maiden that transformed both their lives forever.

9. Magic Carpet Ride, by Steppenwolf

This one is for the party as a whole, in memory of the many rides they shared together on their late, lamented magic carpet. But it's also dedicated to dungeon master Matt Mercer, the true wizard who has taken all of us fans on this magical ride of a story. As a bonus, the first line of the song refers to a "sound machine" - which happens to be a loose English translation of "vox machina." Spooky, or what?

(mod edit: fixed some formatting issues)