Top 5 Board Games of 2015

Geek & Sundry's Editor in Chief Rob Manuel has posted their top 5 board games of the year:

http://geekandsundry.com/geek-sundrys-top-5-board-games-of-the-year/

(Still not sure why the videos on these articles aren't *also* posted to the Youtube channel... I may have completely missed them had I not been subscribed to the RSS feed of articles - any reason for not also posting the videos to YouTube @VirginiaApplejack ?)

Although I haven't played all of these games, I definitely hear a lot of good things about all of them. 

Lanterns is definitely a great sleeper hit - a small Kickstarter game that has the simplicity of Carcassonne/Ticket to Ride but a shorter play time, plus it looks beautiful. It's one I really enjoy teaching to new people, and some of them pick up the strategy quite quickly (and use it to great effect to be nasty to their siblings... but in reality this is mostly a nice game, you can't really be that nasty).

We are also loving Pandemic Legacy - have made it through August so far, so only a few months to go. Quite a few surprises, some great new mechanisms introduced and some very very close wins and losses. Tearing up cards is surprising hard the first time, but it gets easier...

I wouldn't mind trying Codenames or Blood Rage at some point, although I'm not sure they're a good fit with the people I regularly play games with, but I guess we'll see. XCom doesn't interest me because I've never played the video game, and I'm not really onboard with apps in board games as such.

Other favourites of mine from this year: Between Two Cities (which I was lucky enough to playtest in 2014), Raiders of the North Sea. I'm looking forward to playing my Orleans Deluxe edition and Clacks: A Discworld Board Game which haven't hit the table much just yet. We also have the expansions to Takenoko and Istanbul which we are raring to play, so maybe some of those will come out on our huge New Year's Eve gaming party :)

New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander

Comments

• VirginiaApplejackVirginiaApplejack Member, Moderator
    @Molokov, since the offices are closed, all I can offer is some New Year's scrying: I bet they're driving traffic to the website before they post them to YouTube, in much the same way they do with Omnibus or other "G&S Exclusive" kind of content. We'll probably see it on YouTube in a week :) 

I'd love to check out the Discworld game! 
  • No worries then :)
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • Hi @Molokov, I checked in with Rob about this, and as it turns out we made this an exclusive for the G&S site to drive traffic there in the interest of community building. But he said if you guys are loving it to comment on the video at the site and demand it on YouTube :)
  • My favourite board game is Magic. anyone knows how to play it? )