Book Recommendations!

This is the thread you have all been waiting for, ladies and gents! Here you can recommend your favorite sci-fi, fantasy, ect. books that you have been dying to recommend, whether it's your favorite Hugo-winning novel to a fun self-published kindle book that you love to death.

What are some of your favorite novels?
Here to kick ass and nerd out... and I'm all out of ass.

Twitter: twitter.com/go_elf_yo_self
Tumblr: oh-damn-this-is-my-spacejam.tumblr.com

Comments

• Just novels, or can we recommend non-fiction too? I know a lot of folks on the forums write fantasy and historical fiction, and for them I recommend Medieval Underpants and Other Blunders. It's about how to avoid historical inaccuracies in your writing.

As for novels, I recommend Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story and it's sequel You Suck: A Love Story, by Christopher Moore. They're quick, funny, and satisfying reads.
  • Anything by Terry Pratchett, of course :)

Other authors to definitely read: Douglas Adams, Ben Aaronovitch, Jim Butcher, Kevin Hearne, John Scalzi

@JohnRedBeard - some years ago, I bought You Suck, based purely on its title, and as I was reading it, I figured it must be a sequel... but there was NOTHING in the book (even in the frontispiece) that gave any indication of what the name of the first book was, so I was left very confused in parts. That being said, I did not find it funny at all, which you would expect with a book called You Suck about vampires... so unfortunately, Moore was a miss for me with that book and I've never bothered with anything else he's written. It was a real turn off.
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • @JohnRedBeard You can most definitely recommend non fiction! I'll have to give You Suck a look!
    @Molokov great list of authors. Douglas Adams is especially near and dear to my heart.

My favorite recent discovery (aside from Ready Player One) was the Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. It came free with my Emerald City Comic Con tote bag awhile back, and I finally got to blow through it. The idea of a fantasy heist novel is really unique, and kept me at the edge of my seat for the entire read.

• I'm sorry to hear that @Molokov, but if you didn't like that one, you probably wouldn't like any of his other books. They all have a similar style of humor.

@this_is_my_spacejam, be sure to start with Bloodsucking Fiends. That's the first in the series.
  • Ooh I can't believe I forgot Neil Gaiman! Definitely all of Gaiman's stuff from picture books (Chu's Day) to adult novels (American Gods) to comic sagas (Sandman)

And yeah, Scott Lynch's books are amazing... read the third one not long ago, eagerly awaiting the next one.

Oh and Patrick Rothfuss...
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • @JohnRedBeard Thanks for the heads up! I will make sure to do that lol. 

• VirginiaApplejackVirginiaApplejack Member, Moderator
    I tried looking for some Jim Butcher stuff at a bookstore last weekend after a pulp noir discussion, but couldn't find any. So I picked up Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash instead- NOM NOM NOM!! I HIGHLY recommend it. I'm also a huge Stephen King fan, but people are probably over that discussion.
  • I still need to make up the time for Jim Butcher and more pulp noir after reading this thread! How was Snow Crash? 
    And no worries! Please feel free to discuss King! I really do like his horror novels, I have to say my favorite by him was the Stand, although the Shining was really well done as a novel. 

edited September 2015 PM
    @this_is_my_spacejam, I'm only halfway through Snow Crash, bc, as you said, time, time time. But holy moly, it is epic. It was written in '92, but entirely drenched in network culture. If you get the same kind of chills I do from eerily prophetic sci-fi with minimalist language that reads like poetry, surefire arrows of description and dialogue... yeah maybe pick up Snow Crash. 

Oh man, The Stand! Definitely one of my favorites. I re-read a lot, and every summer I re-read It. If you're willing to consume his thicker books, he has a way of grasping the feel of childhood I can't find anywhere else. For a mini-version of that feeling, The Body (aka Stand by Me) in his short series Different Seasons is wonderful. You won't regret picking that up, as it also features Apt Pupil and Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. 

What other horror novels do you like? 

nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom
  • I would be remiss if I did not mention my undying love for anything and everything related to HP Lovecraft. Although it is technically not in the Cthulhu mythos, Dagon is amazing in its use of minimal exposure to the actual creature as a vehicle for horror. Really well made.

The Body is one of my all time favorite novellas, actually!

• Dagon was the first Lovecraft story I ever read, and I pretty much fell in love right away, a dark, creeping, eldritch kind of love that wrapped its etherial tentacles around my soul and dragged me down into madness.
    OOOoOooOoooh Lovecraft discussion. I have to read Dagon, the description I'm finding doesn't ring a bell. In a twist of events, have either/any of you read The Silver Key? It's his foray into fantasy. It's got that same indulgent vocabulary, but instead of provoking horror, it has an elegant, sad vulnerability that continues to haunt me. 
    For horrific Lovecraft, I love The Colour Out of Space. 

I know we're strapped for time, but I hope someday we get a chance to discuss It, since The Body ranks so highly for you :) In the meantime, I'll check out Dagon. Thanks for the recs!
  • Any Sanderson fans? The Stormlight Archive is one of the best fantasy series I've read in a long time, and his short story The Emperor's Soul was also enjoyable. 
  • I have never read it, but I'll check it out!

• I highly recommend Into the Nanten by Jay Swanson (or in the cannon of the journal, Marceles na Tetrarch). It's a really cool project where the novel/journal/blog is posted in time with the cannon of the story. Jay posts the journal on the website to the time of day the entry is written by Marceles. You can purchase the novel or read it online here. Season 1 is finished and in book form as well as online and season 2 is going on right now, starting on day 321.

Real awesome stuff.

-Ben
  • Can I suggest the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks, but my husband and I love it. Not to mention if you don't give Scott Lynch a go you are mad
  • @ashleh I loved the Night Angel trilogy when I first read it, but to be honest, I fell into deeper love with Brent Weeks's next series of books, the Lightbringer Cycle (3 so far). The world of the Lightbringer and the magic system are just so well thought out and realised, and it's brilliant how the narration introduces you to the worldbuilding... and yet at the same time manages to turn it on its head for both you and the characters :) Eagerly awaiting the next one.

For others: first book in Night Angel is The Way of Shadows , first book in Lightbringer is The Black Prism.

• ashlehashleh Member
    edited October 2015 PM
    ooooooh @Molokov Ihane't looked at those yet, might have to go get them now. Thanks!

I have some more suggestions for anyone looking, The Collector by Chris F
    Holm is interesting, The first Law by Joe Abercrombie is a favourite in
    my house, I love the Century Trilogy by Ken Follett. The Seer King
    Trilogy by Chris Bunch is hard to describe and def interesting. The
    Witcher if you can get it all in english is amazing though I was a
    little disappointed by the ending.
  • Manu_ChaoManu_Chao Member
    edited February 2016 PM
    Recommend you to read Dostoevskiy as he is a genius psychologist and humanist. His books reveal complicated the depth of the human soul.. The brothers Karamazov, Netochka Nezvanova, Crime and Punishment  and so be sure to read..
  • I'd like to recommend the Alex Craft books by Kalayna Price. It's an urban fantasy series thats well written, good caracter development and both short and long term plots that develops well. So far four books are published but she has plans for more.

When I first stumbled on the series I just bought one book but was instantly hooked and the morning after I went and bought the other two books that had come out then.