Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Twitter

Send us your pitches for articles about board games / tabletop here

Do you write about board games and tabletop gaming? Send us a pitch!

Comments

• dramademondramademon Member
    edited September 2015 PM
    Here is my little pitch:

There are no Fake Geeks: A brief introduction to my finding a home in the geek community. The article would cover my beginnings as a sideline geek and how I came to embrace the geek community. The piece could stand alone or be the start of a reoccurring article about diving into the geek community as a +30 year old Noob.
  • MolokovMolokov Member, Moderator
    @dramademon how does that relate to Tabletop games in particular?

It's a good topic for an article, for sure, but it isn't specifically Tabletop related, is it?
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • @Molokov No it is not specifically tabletop related. I couldn't figure out how to post to the broader Op-Ed page. I decided a slightly misplaced pitch was better than no pitch at all.
    @dramademon - you could just create a new discussion by pressing the big green "New discussion" button :D
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • edited October 2015 PM
    If there has not already been a review of the board game "Splendor" I would like to pitch mine!

Splendor: Friendship, Fast Action, and Italian Noblemen

The concept of Splendor is fairly simple. Collect chips, increase your prestige, and, of course, become the best gem merchant in Renaissance Italy. 
    Gameplay revolves around stages of gathering and refining various colored gems, and developing your business. The ways to score points is also simple; by garnering the favor of the various nobles available in the game, or gathering development cards. The player who first reaches fifteen of these prestige points wins the game (and thus, the ultimate bragging rights of being the greatest gem merchant in the land).
    While the rules are simple, the variety of ways in which the game can be played multiple times with various outcomes, allowing for each play to have a fresh take. Moreover, the simplicity of its rules leads to lightning fast gameplay, forcing players to think on their feet, improvise in the face of an always-changing game board (oh, I'm sorry, did you want that noble? Mine, now!) and allows for even novice players a chance to play against a seasoned veteran and win.
    With each game lasting about twenty to forty minutes, this game is perfect for a short family game night, or an ice-breaker at a party... well, so long as the people you play against don't hold too many grudges!
    Here to kick ass and nerd out... and I'm all out of ass.

Twitter: twitter.com/go_elf_yo_self
    Tumblr: oh-damn-this-is-my-spacejam.tumblr.com
  • rpgresearchrpgresearch Member
    edited October 2015 PM
    I have been researching the effects of all forms of role-playing games for many years now.
    In more recent years, looking at the use of RPG as an educational and therapeutic modality to achieve specific goals for different populations.

Besides "regular" role-playing gamers without special needs (and the many benefits they receive from playing RPGs), the many special needs populations I have worked with so far include: Autism spectrum (ASD/PDD), ADHD/ADD, brain injury (TBI, stroke, etc.), trauma (PTSD, etc.), Cerebral Palsy (CP), Downs Syndrome, at-risk youth, the Deaf community, and others.

The RPG formats include tabletop, live-action, choose your own adventure/solo, and computer-based RPGs.

I have been doing all this work in combination as a student, and as a self-funded (retired computer scientist) researcher and volunteer at many facilities.

I have more than 11 years worth of work in these overlapping topics so far.
    I have participated in role-playing gaming since 1979. I even briefly taught a class in RPG for a month at a private school back around 1985/86.

I approach this research and work from an interdisciplinary approach of Recreation Therapy, Neuroscience, and Research Psychology.

HBO's VICE documentary group recently wrote a few articles on LARP and education  - http://www.vice.com/read/at-this-danish-school-larping-is-the-future-of-education-482 and a video documentary on LARP and Autism.

(I'm quoted and my work referenced a few times mid-way through their article).

I would love to get the word out to folks in the Geek and Sundry community, and have a wide range of topics that can be covered that should "Click" for a lot of different people.
    What do you think?

More on my RPG-related background here: http://rpgr.org/staff/hawke-robinson

Happy Gaming!
    RPG Research
    Studies on the therapeutic aspects of role-playing games, from cognitive-behavioral, humanistic, recreation therapy, and cognitive-neuroscience perspectives.
    http://www.rpgresearch.com
  • I've already posted a couple of topics, but I have few others on the subject of RPGs and some game theory.

Some topics:

The proactive and reactive styles of player and GM.

A bit on reading character sheets as a GM.

Advice on reskinning mechanics.

Advice on building scenarios for use in a convention.

Commentary on games that charge resources for things with no mechanical effect. For example if two races have a selection of attributes and advantages that, if purchased separately, would be worth equal amounts of points but one of the races has a higher point cost without any mechanical benefit.

Managing Player spotlights.

Some basic discussion on the types of character generation/advancement, conflict resolution, health tracking and other such systems.

• Pitch: Boardgame enthusiast (read addict) is learning how to play MTG - the game she's loathed for over 30yrs.

He calls it "The Compromise" ...

Our boardgame nights have always centered around my love for table top games and it wasn't until recently that my partner decided we needed to play one of "his".

So after years of putting it off,
    I begrudgingly picked up a Magic The Gathering deck.

On the first night I started to grasp the basics of the game.

After the second, we ignored each other for an entire day.

Okay, two days.

But I'm trying.

Not like, "I REALLY want to love this game but it's hard" trying, but "I REALLY want him to keep playing boardgames with me so I need to tolerate it" type of trying. And let's be honest, that's the hardest type of trying.
  • Are you still looking for writers for board games? I would love to contribute some of my tabletop writing. I review board games on my blog, (www.thedomesticgeekblog.com) but have a ton more to review this coming year. In fact a great piece of writing might just be why so many tabletop gamers have, "The Shelf of Shame." 

The Shelf of Shame is the place where all of your unplayed games live, some have been opened and the components looked over, some still in shrink, but all never actually hitting the table for a gaming session. My shelf is about 13 beautiful unplayed game boxes, and it definitely breaks my heart. 

When I write board game reviews I typically write out a synopsis to hook the reader, then go over some essential geeky bullet points, "Is it worth my precious gold?" "How big should my party be?" etc. 
  • *Points to domesticgeek*  What she said.  Curious as well.

Some samples of my work for Needless Things:

http://www.needlessthingssite.com/2015/11/practice-your-poker-face-another-geek.html

http://www.needlessthingssite.com/2015/07/not-your-daddys-poker-card-games-for.html

http://www.needlessthingssite.com/2015/06/lay-your-fandom-on-table-fandom.html

My full body of work- non tabletop work and all- can be found under my name tag on the same page.  I have a Co-Op tabletop game article scheduled to post on Needless Things in a couple of weeks as well.  I tend to keep humor in my pieces and jibes/references related to the fandom-based games in my pieces (if reviewing fandom based games) to keep the pace.  I mean hey...gotta keep it real. 

As you can see I've reviewed card games, some of my favorite micros, fandom based games, and I have a Co-Op piece coming out in which I reviewed three Co-Ops (Dead of Winter, Firefly: Fistful of Credits, and Forbidden Desert.)  One thing I haven't done yet is to set an article in which I hit our local gaming stores to see what the most popular demo games are that they keep in the stores for the locals to play.  Get the store employees opinions on the best games, their opinions on the most often played in-store demos, and the regular gamers to see which ones they like the best.  There is nothing better in marketing than word of mouth and gamers trust other gamers for recommendation.  Once you play it, you can determine if the gamer was out of his freaking head....but at the time you trusted him/her at least.  From tabletop board games to Friday Night Magic players, Wednesday Night Doctor Who RPG players to Thursday Night Warhammer campaigners, I could hit up local stores to see what everyone feels as the best of the best for either killing time, stretching out the night, or outright winning the day as the best games ever.
  • Hey guys!

I've had quite a bit of experience with Music Journalism (as well as have a few articles reviewed by Cracked.com's editorial team, although they ultimately weren't picked up) and would love to get into writing about my other passion: tabletop gaming.

My pitch is a series of articles based on conversations my DM and I have had about Dungeons and Dragons 5e where we've tried to come up with the most broken character builds possible.

We've managed to do things like come up with a character capable of dealing up to 576 damage in a single round (which is enough to kill everything in the Monster Manual except a Tarrasque in one blow).

We've come up with a build that can have an AC of 34, making everything with a Challenge rating below 20 completely incapable of hitting you, barring a natural 20, and everything with a challenge rating higher than that having a 60% chance to hit you at best (there's that pesky Tarrasque again). I'd break down exactly how to achieve these crazily overpowered characters and then, if you guys would like, try to come up with a story justification for their rather peculiar combination of abilities.

Those are definitely the first couple of articles I'd write, but I have plenty of ideas for more. We could even challenge the community to see if they can do better or ask them to challenge me to break something next.
  • Ok, I know I'm one of the newest guys here, but I've been fooling around with an idea for quite some time. It's kind of a guide of good practices regarding tabletop sesions, either amongst friends or strangers. It's designed as a series of articles regarding various themes, like "Hosting the perfect Tabletop game session", "Snacks: dos and dont's", "Long term relationships: Tips for buying a game with friends", "The perfect setup: Low-budget gadgets for your game sessions" and some others. I would like to give them a Gentlemen's Club kind of vibe, so it's always on how to stay classy while having some extra fun. 
  • With the impending release of The Force Awakens DVD/Blu-ray in our minds, I would like to pitch a review of the Original Trilogy version of Star Wars Monopoly.
    Specifically, I wanna look at it from a lore/flavor text standpoint, and then see how it compares to the newest version of Star Wars Monopoly. Possibly see which one's better, maybe polarize some readers, you know, just have fun.
  • Hey, what's up? That's nice.

My name is Josher, and I'm a longtime geek blogger and freelance writer specializing in board and tabletop games. 

A game designer I know is partnering with a well-known board game box organizer company to create a modular, expansive alternative to the dice tower. Imagine watching a die travel down a tall box, bouncing back and forth off of obstacles, and triggering Rube Goldberg-like apparatuses. The role now becomes a part of the narrative of your game. The product will likely be out by Christmas.

I'd like to get a few quotes from the genius working on this project and write you 500-700 words. What do you think?
  • Title: Dungeon Master Tales: Why I love being a Dungeon Master

Long ago, in a world not so far away! There were lands filled with scary beasts and little pixies.  Where your imagination could lead down the path of a heroic adventure or your untimely demise!  The only limit was your Dungeon Master!  You could save the villain from the princess, or save the princess from the villain!

When I started playing Dungeons & Dragons almost twenty years ago, I was a high school
    nerd and back then, Role Playing Games were definitely not the “in” thing to
    do. Most people thought it was some satanic cult thing. However, for my friends
    and me getting together a few times during the week to become heroes in a world
    that was not our own; was the “in” thing to do. We did not care what others
    thought about us, this was and is, who we are.

Since then, I have played everything from tabletop RPGs, text based
    online RPGs or MUDS to video games like Everquest and World of Warcraft (Gnomes
    FTW!). Each one of these RPGs has one main thing; human interaction!

The human interaction is the greatest part of tabletop RPGs. For me,
    there is no comparison.

Two years ago, I got involved in a 5th edition campaign after having
    been away from D&D for a few years. After playing for a while I decide I
    wanted to DM my own campaign. Speaking to a couple of my friends about starting
    my own 5th edition campaign was the next step. All of us were already involved in
    a AD&D (2nd edition) campaign together. After a few entertaining
    discussions and understanding that this would be a learning experience for all
    of us, we sat down and created some characters.

You’re probably thinking, when is he going to get to the topic of this
    article? Well, right now!

Choosing the role of Dungeon Master was an easy choice, well kind of.
    Some people are probably wondering why I would take on such a task. Some of you
    probably understand the drive and excitement behind being a DM. So let me give
    you a few of my reasons why I decided to become a DM without even really
    understanding the 5th system.

First, I truly enjoy writing and being creative. Being a dungeon master
    gives me that opportunity. As a Dungeon Master you get to write, draw and
    create worlds in the process. If you like, you modify any of the existing ones
    that are already created. It also allows the DM to become a director, actor,
    producer and most important of all, a story teller! Now mind you, I’m no Matt
    Mercer or Chris Perkins, but the players I DM for enjoy each week and that
    makes me happy! So, at least they keep telling me.

Moving on to the second reason I chose to become a DM. I love doing my
    own thing. I’m also kind of a control freak and a perfectionist when it comes to
    things I that love. So, when I started my first campaign, I decided to use a
    module created by Wizards of the Coast. I picked up the Hoard of the Dragon
    Queen module and we started our adventure! Along the way I kept thinking, “I
    really want to create my own world and campaign.” Sneakily, I started inserting
    my own bits and pieces into the module to foreshadow something in addition to
    all the other things plaguing the characters already! I sent the players into a
    self-created tomb on the orders of Ontharr Frume who then appeared through a
    portal right after the party defeated a big baddie. Then, Ontharr turned into a
    Rakshasha and sucked them into the world of Lourne! My own world finally!

The whole experience of DM’ing has been more gratifying and humbling
    than I could have ever imagined. Unlike many hobbies out there, being a DM
    allows you to express your creative side in various ways, as I listed above.
    Every Tuesday night I meet up with six other enthusiastic D&D folks to
    unravel the next chapter of a story we write together. Those smiles and cries
    that I see each week are irreplaceable.

• RadioFoxRadioFox Member
    Hi klklmcfuggs!

This forum post says "Send us a pitch!" Can I do that via email, or maybe via Geek & Sundry's main site contact form?
    Kiki is no longer with Geek and Sundry, and neither are her two successors in the role.
    These forums are no longer used by G&S staff, and pretty much no-one else either. I don't know if they're still looking for articles, but asking here isn't going to get you any answer (apart from people like me).

• RadioFoxRadioFox Member
    Molokov, thanks so much for your helpful note, then. I really appreciate it <3