My Binge Watch

Right now it's Mr. Robot. I made it through 4 episodes in one sitting. The first one was a little soap-boxy, but I'm really impressed by USA and the direction they're taking their content. Trying to keep up with FX and AMC, maybe? Definitely going to pick up some cyberpunk literature in the next couple weeks to match. 

Comments

• We binge watched Killjoys over the last week or so, my new favourite space-based scifi! I have no idea how it's flown under the radar and got virtually no buzz. Same goes for Dark Matter, which I wouldn't have heard about had Wil not tweeted about his guest role...

New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • VirginiaApplejackVirginiaApplejack Member, Moderator
    Before I delve deeper, I read the synopsis and am wondering if Killjoys shares the same tone as Spaceship Troopers. Party-loving characters with a society run by corporate interests? 

Dark Matter looks like Lost in space .. .no wait.. It looks like Lost, but in space... gah! You know what I mean. Between the two, I'm more inclined to make Killjoys my next binger. Thanks for the recs, @Molokov!
  • Killjoys is not gory - the worst is some scenes of torture and some violence - but it's a very well done short series where there's "job of the week" (Firefly style) plots at the start, but the world-building that goes on in the background is pretty well put together and comes to a great climax at the end of the season. Plus, it's got a decent sense of humour too. It's closest cousin is probably Firefly, although Killjoys isn't quite as unique. All of the female characters are not only strong but actual *characters* not archetypes, which is great.

Dark Matter is a little more disjointed - the stories seem mostly unconnected to each other, but we discover a bit more about the characters' missing history each week, but it doesn't really all have small bits leading to a big finish. Far more 'episodic' rather than 'epic'.
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • I always think of the Portlandia sketch where they binge watch Battlestar Galactica. Hilarious and not too far from the truth.

A few more that I've binged on- Hannibal, Broadchurch, The Walking Dead, Orphan Black...most recently was Sense8, which I'm still not sure about. Some of the dialogue and choices are questionable. But nothing unexpected with a Wachowski offering. 
  • Steven Universe was mine and my partners' most recent binge watch. We discovered the show into its second season in August. On a whim, we started watching from the beginning. We found ourselves caught up in only a few days.
  • zuberzuber Member
    edited March 2016 PM
    Stargate Sg-1 and Stargate Atlantis,Fringe, and Farscape were part of my list in the past.  I might go and watch those series again.

John Doe, End Game, and Spy are among my current since they're 1 to 2 seasons long.