Region Free DVDs

For a few years now I’ve been sporadically trying to get all the episodes on DVD that will work on my Region 2 DVD player, as I live in the UK, with all releases matching as closely as possible (i.e. A region 1 season 1, a French season 2 and a DVD-R season 3 wouldn’t do).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The region 1 New Video Group versions of the combined seasons 1 & 2 release, season 5 and season 6 are all region free. Seasons 3 & 4 are not, despite a search of “The Guild Season 3 Region Free” yielding an announcement article from Felicia Day stating otherwise.

I recently purchased a “Region 2” version of season 4. I didn’t believe it existed, but it was only a couple of quid so I purchased it. Turned out it was indeed Region 2, French, and printed by the company lvl42. What struck me most was that both the cover and disc featured a BBFC rating, which made it as good as a proper UK release in my book.

The problem is that putting it in the player makes it sound like I’ve inserted a disc from an angle grinder, which wouldn’t be so bad but for the fact that episodes 10-12 will not play at all.

So any information anyone can help me with regarding the following releases would be appreciated:

Did anyone else have similar problems with any lvl42 releases? Especially the seasons 1-3 combined set, and the season 4 set I bought?

The Region 1 DVD-R releases, particularly seasons 3 and 4: Are they region free, or will they only work on region 1 players?

If they’re region free, how do I tell for certain whether I have the DVD-R version, or the factory pressed version? Is it because the latter says “New Video Group” and the former does not?

Best place to purchase new / like-new copies that’ll ship to UK? Besides Amazon / Ebay of course.

The 6 season “Megaset”: Are these discs just the original NVG pressings in a new box, or have they repressed the discs? i.e. Are any of the faces of the discs printed differently in any way at all from their individual releases?

And, of course, if they are different, or even if they don’t appear to be, are the discs in this set region free?

Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated.