Geek & Sundry should have a wiki

Comments

• torontogaltorontogal Member, Moderator
    @lonewander - I went in and added more detail to the main Geek and Sundry page entry, to provide some info on the Original Channel backstory, etc.  I'm not sure if that was enough to get me onto the user list, for the sake of Admin promotion?
  • This time when I was looking at the user list, I noticed a dropdown menu that let me change how many edits a user had to have made to be on the list, so I changed it from the default of 5 to 1 (though I have to do that every time I go to the page, because it keeps resetting). And um... I realized I couldn't actually assign a user level from that page, anyway. But eventually I figured it out, and I think you're an admin now.
    Absolutely Pointless
    "Adulthood... I'll see you in hell." -Skip Gilchrist
  • The formatting is not awful. 

I did add a category to the page (I seem to be the only one who does that), and a link to the series the episode list is for. 
    Absolutely Pointless
  • lonewanderlonewander Member
    edited September 2014 PM
    Well, I already did episode pages for The Guild (on Monday, as mentioned in another thread, in case you'd forgotten) and Space Janitors  (just this morning). They don't look significantly different from your TableTop episode page. (Your template is probably better for unscripted series like TableTop, where the episodes probably don't have titles.)

I wouldn't know what to say about the community other than mentioning that the official website has forums (which we're using at this precise moment in time!) But if you want to start a page to detail specifics about the community, that'd be cool.
    Absolutely Pointless
    So I've been playing around with the colors a bit, using hexcodes to closer match with official G&S colors.

Here's the old version, and here's the new version I'm playing with...

(Older Version)

(Newer Version)

I may try and find some time over the weekend to pretty up the upper-left logo as well.  But for now, I've got to see how to make the adjusted theme propagate through the site (assuming no-one hates the adjustment, lol)
    The new colors are live, I think - I ended up going a bit lighter for the background, for the sake of readability.  That said, I'm open to suggestions for additional tweaks...
    Thanks @Zuffy and @lonewander for all the great work so far, btw!

I second the opinion that @AlanAlmeria would be a fantastic contributor, but I know he already does so much episode recap duty here on the forums that I don't want to peer-pressure him too much :)

And kudos to @kyle who scored a Facebook Q&A with Ryon, for the sake of building a wiki page for him!
  • New colors definitely better. I wish you luck with the logo... one problem I had was that it must be 250x65 or less. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if that and other things might be allowed greater freedom of customization if we threw some money at Wikia... which doesn't strike me as necessary.) Another problem was I wanted the font for the wiki's name to be the same as the G&S logo itself, but I have no idea what that font is, so I just picked one that didn't look too clash-y, to me. Oh, another thing I noticed when I was working on the colors earlier today, sometimes it seemed like they didn't propagate unless I refreshed my browser... I think I even had to clear my cache. So if anyone notices a discrepancy between the look of different pages, it may not be a wiki issue but a browser issue.

And again I'll mention that if anyone who's working on the wiki wants admin status, you have but to ask.

And btw, every time I see any new edits, I feel like quoting Young Mr. Grace: "You've all done very well!"
    *wonders how many people will get that reference*
    Absolutely Pointless
    edited September 2014 PM
    @lonewander - thanks!  I was actually working on an adjusted logo and arrived on the forums to see your post :)

I'm no graphic designer by any stretch of the imagination, but I tried to make it look a little more funky...

(Old Version)

(New Version)

• @torontogal, I really like the new background and logo.  I also sent Ryon Day the questions I had planned to ask him for the wiki.  It was really long.  On microsoft word, it reached two and a half pages.  It is mostly for Ryon's wiki page but some questions branched out to inquire further about Felicia and Co-Optitude.  Hopefully, I will organize his response to fit a wiki page format by Monday.  Over the weekend, I plan to add a page about Co-Optitude episodes then a page for each and maybe also work on Space Janitors.
  • alanalmeriaalanalmeria Member, Moderator

@Zuffy @TorontoGal thanks for the votes of confidence.

I've got a while bunch of stuff to do over this weekend, but after that - assuming I can figure out how to work Wiki Syntax - I might be able to some pages next week or the week after that.

Love The Guild and/or Choose Your Own Adventure Novels? Then make sure to check out The Trials of Codex.

• I like the new logo. I also like the pic that seems to be Felicia as a pulp magazine cover astronaut or something. Very cool... but there was one time I loaded the wiki's main page and that pic was incorporated onto the page and every other time I load it it's not there. I hope it can become a permanent fixture....
    Absolutely Pointless
    @kyle - thanks so much! - I'm really curious to see what cool new tidbits we'll find out from your Ryon Q&A :)

@AlanAlmeria - your masterful use of the English language would be very welcome!

@Zuffy - glad you like the new color scheme, and thanks for jumping into things so quickly :)

@lonewander - that was me playing around with the Felicia-astronaut pic - I tried tossing it onto the main page, but I didn't like the alignment (I may have some perfectionist tendencies, lol).  I removed it, but I may give it another try.  Thanks again for kick-starting this whole thing - hopefully we can wrangle up some more contributors!
  • Made some minor edits to the Vlogs page, and thought I'd add stub pages for some of the archived G&S shows... but I can't quite work out how to add pages to that category easily. Maybe I'll try again later, it's bed time now.
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • @Molokov, what shows are you wanting to add? Ones that aren't listed already on either the vlogs page or the Geek and Sundry page?

@Zuffy, I think the styling on the TableTop episodes page is decent for any shows whose episodes don't have titles or about which no one is likely to feel compelled to create specific episode recap pages.

Absolutely Pointless
    @Zuffy - great work on the table-style - I think that would indeed be a good fit for the rest of the Wiki :)

@Molokov - welcome to the fun!
  • @lonewander Yeah I was thinking of the archived shows like #parent, Story Board, MetaDating etc. Didn't quite get there, though :D
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
    edited September 2014 PM
    Well, those are all listed on the Geek and Sundry page, all you have to do is click the links to start pages for them. One note, when I was making that list, I had to make the link for #Parent just Parent. (The link shows a hashtag, but the URL of page itself will just be "Parent," because it doesn't seem like I can use a hashtag in a URL... which makes sense, since them things are used to jump to different portions of a page.) 

Oh, and I was wondering if we should put parentheticals or something for the shows listed on that page and the Vlogs page, to indicate which shows are currently active, which are completed, or on hiatus, or uncertain. (Or instead of parentheses maybe the shows could be listed in a table, like on the episode pages.)
    Absolutely Pointless
    edited September 2014 PM
    I think bonus content is tricky. On my page for Guild episodes I listed them within the seasons based on the release dates of those episodes, but part of me thought maybe they should be in a separate table. And when i did the page for Space Janitors episodes I never got around to even mentioning bonus episodes. Someone should do that, but I'm not sure for that or any other shows whether such things should be included in season tables or as a separate "bonus" table. 

eta: Just saw the Flog episode page. They're listed in reverse order. Which led me to realize neither they nor the TableTop episodes include release dates. I feel like all ep guides should do so. 
    Absolutely Pointless