Geek & Sundry should have a wiki

lonewanderlonewander Member
edited August 2014 in Geek & Sundry Discussion
I mean, don't you think? I thought I might start a wiki for G&S, but of course wikis are best when they have a lot of contributors (especially considering I don't even watch all the shows on the channel). So I'm just wondering... if I did start a wiki for it (or if anyone else wanted to start a wiki), how many people might be interested in contributing to such a thing? Because G&S doesn't just deserve one of those half-assed little wikis you sometimes stumble across. G&S deserves a whole-assed wiki. Amiright? 

P.S. I was mainly wondering about fans wanting to work on a wiki, but it would be especially awesome to also have G&S staffers involved in maintaining a wiki, providing news updates for various series, maybe behind the scenes info, etc. 
Absolutely Pointless
"Adulthood... I'll see you in hell." -Skip Gilchrist

Comments

• torontogaltorontogal Member, Moderator
    edited August 2014 PM
    @lonewander - that's certainly a cool idea, and I'd be happy to contribute if you were to go forward with it :)

I guess for now, G&S has a Wikipedia entry - but it sounds like you're thinking of a full-blown wiki specifically for Geek and Sundry with a bunch of entries for all things G&S.  As you said, though, it would likely need more than 2 contributors to truly do it justice and get it nicely populated.  So we'd probably have to see if there's additional interest from fellow forum-members :)
  • I wouldn't mind helping out if this becomes a real thing.  However I mostly only follow Co-Optitude, Tabletop, and Space Janitors.  I also share the last two concerns from Zuffy's post.  I'm sure it can be populated with many article/pages.  There are a bunch of shows on G&S channel, new and old, vloggers which provide new content every weekday, and events/charities that G&S may be partaking in.  Just throwing some ideas out there.
  • I have started it. (my handle on Wikia is teknomage.) So if anyone wants to check it out, it's pretty sparse right now (5 pages, including the main page, and a TON of links on those pages to pages that don't yet exist), but hopefully it will give you an idea of what it could become.

I don't know about spambots and trolls, but I don't think they hit all wikis that much, and I like to think there are two kinds of people in this world: G&S fans (who are awesome) and non-G&S fans (who have no idea G&S exists). So I don't see this being a big target for anything malicious, but I could be wrong. You can't know unless you try, right? 

As for whether anyone would use it, I have no idea. We can only hope that if we build it, they will come....
    Absolutely Pointless
  • Okay, I've added that. I kind of assumed anyone who went there would assume that, considering 99.9% of wikis on the internet are fan-created, but you're right, of course. Rules is rules.
    Absolutely Pointless
  • I'm trying to put together a page that lists episodes of The Guild with their release dates, but I'm finding conflicting information on different websites. At first I was looking at Wikipedia, but then I found very different dates for each episode listed on IMDb and elsewhere. At the moment I'm going with IMDb's dates for seasons one and two (I don't even want to move on to the other seasons until I figure out what's up with the first two seasons). I have no idea why there would be different dates listed for season one, but for season two I was assuming it's because episodes were released first by Microsoft and later on YouTube and watchtheguild.com. However, Wikipedia's production notes for season two mentions a four week delay between Microsoft and YouTube, however when I compare the dates on Wikipedia's episode list and IMDb's list, the delay is very inconsistent, certainly not four weeks. The difference could be a day, a week, or a few months. And I tried checking YouTube itself, but I can't find the original uploads of the episodes, it seems like they've been replaced by videos that were re-uploaded sometime later. So I just want to know if anyone has a list of when the episodes definitely, actually, originally debuted on each platform. 
    Absolutely Pointless
  • @annie do you know who might have that list of The Guild release dates?
  • Also, can we please change it to say that Geek & Sundry is a network, which includes the Geek & Sundry channel, Geek & Sundry vlogs, Felicia Day's channel, Player Piano, Console to Closet and each of the vloggers personal channels?

• Zuffy, glad to have you on board, and I hope others start taking part. (Especially since at the moment my laptop is acting like it's on its last legs so I wouldn't be shocked if at any time I lose the ability to do internet at all.) As for the main page... I'm not sure if the actual Geek and Sundry page should become the main page, especially if the wiki will be for all the channels under the G&S banner. Oh, btw Zuff, I edited your edit just a bit, because one of the links you added was for "Geek and Sundry Vlogs" and I already had a page called "Geek & Sundry Vlogs." (I've been debating in my head for a few days whether to change the "Geek and Sundry" page to just "Geek & Sundry," which I should have named it from the start, but by the time I thought of that I'd already linked to it on several other pages, which I'd now have to change. So I don't know. A decision should be made soon.) As for how many channels there actually are... I wasn't aware of any specific vlogs being channels, as far as I know G&S just has two channels, one of which is for all the vlogs. (But I don't know much about it, since I've watched very few of the G&S vlogs, though I suppose many or all of the vloggers had their own channels prior to joining Geek & Sundry? If so that could be mentioned on individual show pages, if anyone who watches them cares to create pages for them. But I don't think each individual vlog is necessarily it's own channel, in terms of what actually airs on Geek & Sundry. Correct me if I'm wrong.) And I guess a third would be Felicia's channel, but I haven't checked that out as yet.

Of course internet terminology is always changing and it isn't made any easier by trying to use TV terminology to represent things that often bear little resemblance to the way TV works. I mean, if G&S is a network, then what exactly is YouTube? 
    Absolutely Pointless
    edited September 2014 PM
    @lonewander - great work so far!  I'm hoping I can carve out a bit of time next week to assist where I can.  In case you don't know, @SarahTheRebel is our new Community Manager at G&S, and @Annie is also a G&S team-member and is Felicia's right-hand lady - so they have the inside track on all things G&S :)

As Sarah was saying, G&S is actually considered a YouTube 'Multi Channel Network' at this point, because it's a collection of associated channels.  Some of the vloggers are no longer on the main G&S Vlogs channel, but their personal channels fall under the G&S umbrella.  e.g., if you go to Scott's personal channel, his channel header is emblazoned with the G&S logo - his vids air on his personal channel, but they're endorsed by G&S.  https://www.youtube.com/user/Scottplaysbadgames

@Zuffy - thanks for jumping in so quickly!
  • This is why I want other people working on the wiki, people who understand all that better than I'm ever likely to. I'm sure some of the things I write on the wiki either were never quite accurate or ceased being accurate long ago, without my being aware of it. And I think G&S deserves a wiki that's as accurate as possible. So anyone who knows about this stuff should feel free to start editing the wiki themselves. I want it to be better than I can make it by myself. Not just in terms of information, but also appearance. If anyone is skilled at designing backgrounds or anything like that, that would be great. And the basic theme, the color scheme, could be changed, I just had to pick a theme fairly randomly when I was creating the wiki. 
    Absolutely Pointless
  • Keep working at it @lonewander, I will try and join in and help out if I can find the time. What I've seen so far is pretty damn good.
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • I'm really hoping others will start pages for some of the shows I don't watch, as well as expanding on pages I have started. 
    Absolutely Pointless
  • A plan would be good. Alas, my planning skills don't get much more complex than "Ooh, let's make a wiki!" I try to tell my brain, "That's not really a plan," but my brain is all "Yeah it is! It's totes magotes a plan!"

...Or maybe it's just that I don't feel qualified to take a large part in constructing a plan, because I don't think of this as my wiki. (My wiki is something I've been working on for about four years, as reference material for a book I've been writing for about seventeen years, which will probably never be published.) I worry that if I play too big a role in deciding what the G&S wiki should be, it won't be as appealing as it would if other people design it. So... I should probably start making people admins on the wiki. 

Which is not to say that I just wanted to get the ball rolling and then bow out. I still plan to work on it. I love working on things like this. It's just a bit disheartening when I spend all day working on something and when I'm done I stare at it and really dig it and then I think, "But if anyone else comes along and looks at this, they'll think it looks like it took about fifteen minutes." 
    Absolutely Pointless
    @lonewander - the good news is @SarahTheRebel signal-boosted the existence of the wiki via the official G&S Twitter account.  So hopefully that encourages additional contributors :)

As noted above, I'm hoping to join in during the coming weeks (dealing with some work deadlines that are keeping me busy at the moment).
  • KyleKyle Member
    edited September 2014 PM
    I started an account on the wiki using the name BC6.  I haven't added much at all, just some photos to the Vaginal Fantasy page.  Right now, I am gathering info for Co-Optitude.  I plan on adding an episode list page and trivia/facts for each as well as credits for each episode.

There needs to be a hashtag for the wikia.  Helps introduce people to the new wiki and tweets about it.  It would bring a sense of being official and also allow twitter users to participate in a discussion about it.  Wiki contributors can also see new discussions relating to it all in one place.

Right now I'll just use #G&SWiki for one.  Simple and no other tweets using it.  If this thread agrees on a different hashtag then I'll put all future tweets about it under said hashtag.

Edit: After using the #G&SWiki, twitter recognizes only the #G as the hashtag.
  • lonewanderlonewander Member
    edited September 2014 PM
    It's nice to see others editing the wiki and promoting it. I checked out the Vaginal Fantasy page and the Co-Optitude page, and they're both looking really good. ...I'm afraid I never really use Twitter, but I'm sure it's a great tool. 

So... thanks for your work, everyone. 

Incidentally, last night I changed the background using Wikia's theme designer. I picked a theme with a pattern that vaguely looked like the background of the logo on The Flog page. I tried to match the background color as closely as I could, but alas, changing the color of the pattern itself wasn't an option. Anyway, I hope people like the new look, but if not, it can always be changed to one of Wikia's other themes, or someone could custom-make a background for the wiki. 
    Absolutely Pointless
    @lonewander - I like your choice of the new background pattern, but I'm also happy to play around to make it a bit more G&S flavored (e.g., more green!).  That said, I don't think I can currently do that as I'm not the wiki founder nor an Admin.  Is there a way for you to promote me to Admin?  I'm on the wiki as 'TorontoGal'.  Thanks!
  • lonewanderlonewander Member
    edited September 2014 PM
    Before I can make anyone an admin, I think they have to make at least a few edits to the wiki. Currently only three people are showing up on the user list (including myself). The others are BC6 and Sean.sadulak. I know SundryZuff has made one edit, but doesn't currently appear on the list, so I'm not sure how many edits have to be made, but it can't be many (Sean has 9). Or maybe it's just that the edit Zuff made was on the main page of the wiki. But anyway, once you (or anyone else who asks to be admin'd) has made a few edits and show up on the user list, I should be able to make you an admin.
    Absolutely Pointless
    Cool - I'll try and boost my edits in the near future and let you know!
  • ...I've made it more green.
    Absolutely Pointless