The Guild Recap Video Community Event

TabzTabz Member
edited September 2012 in The Guild

Felicia has put out the call for a video recap of ALL the seasons of the Guild!

"All your problems today have been solved by Tabz, a computer, and God."

Comments

• Superb, I've posted my own entry.

Felicia did ask for the unusual!

http://youtu.be/yqom8put7_A

Author, blogger, good egg. http://bit.ly/DuncanMc

• TriencoTrienco Member, Moderator
    Let's see... 5 seasons, 6 main characters, 90s. So 15s per season + 3s per character... damn, 93s. I'll consider that a challenge... and fail miserably (it usually takes me forever to trim stuff down enough for Twitter).
  • I'm preparing mine. Need a few more days...

I didn't think I'd enter because a) I'm quite busy right now, and b) I'm not much of a creative person[1] nor do I really have any skills with a video camera.

But sometimes inspiration strikes, and you have to do something... so I wrote a very short script (90s!) covering all 5 seasons, and now to shoot it with my poor quality still-camera in video mode. However, for what I'm doing that shouldn't matter. I'll link it here when it's uploaded.

[1] I'm not saying this to be self-deprecating, it's kinda true. I am not good at creating original content (writing/art/music/etc) but when it comes to modifying/referencing other people's things I do OK. I've done my fair share of acting & writing filk/parody songs, but am not really good at coming up with original material. But I've never considered myself an artist, so I guess that's OK :)
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • Um.. Well that didn't take nearly as long as I expected.

My entry:
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    Very funny!
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
    How strict are we about copyright issues and screen caps in particular? Since I'm low on Guild sock puppets and never had anything resembling artistic talent, I'd be Photoshopping the hell out of screen caps:

imageimage
  • @Tabz or another moderator - how do we know if our entry was received? The "video response" thing on youtube isn't up yet (presumably because someone has to approve it) and although the form I submitted said it went through OK, I haven't heard anything back yet.

Then again, perhaps I'm being overly paranoid. Entries don't close until Tuesday night but I just want to make sure I'm in the running :)

• You can use The Guild clips/screencaps! 

Your entry was received. There's a playlist for the entries that I need to get the URL for, and they're all going there. YouTube only lets us have one response video these days (weird), so Felicia's favorite will be the one that's "approved" but everything else will be in the playlist!
    "All your problems today have been solved by Tabz, a computer, and God."
  • Submitted our entry! :)

It was heaps of fun to do.
    Good luck everyone!
  • MolokovMolokov Member
    edited September 2012 PM
    @Tabz Thanks :) @Ayeletme sent me the playlist of entries ( http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7atuZxmT9570qG134DDnh-F4wuBihO21 ) - good to see there's some good ones out there! I really love the Singing  Hand one!

@lozzykins want to share it with us so we can see it?

edited September 2012 PM
    The good news: I refrained from actually reading all the lines (as I a) can't talk that fast, b) couldn't stand hearing my voice all day during editing and c) couldn't voice act to save my life).

The bad news: a painful amount of plot lines had to be dropped to stuff it all into 90s (and you still need to read pretty fast). Maybe I should have cheated with a "pause and read at your own pace" approach to get in more panels.

Recap "video"
  • Good work Trienco! Love the comic-book effect you've done. It's impossible to squeeze /all/ plot lines in 90s so I didn't even try.

@Molokov I actually really like the Munchkin approach. They are pretty much spot on and it never hurts to plug a cool tie-in product. Maybe I should update the description and point at the real comics (the only reference to those are Tinks many origin stories).

The effect is a little hit and miss. There are a couple tutorials for better looking effects, but I expected to do it to 50+ images, so I ignored them and played around until it took 4 steps and one reusable blend layer.

At first I was annoyed that PS Elements missed the option to record actions and I had to manually apply all steps to each frame. Then it turned out that the same settings won't work too well for all caps, depending on colors and lighting. So for every Wade or Pirate Bladezz there are two of those:

I guess it's obvious why I just moved the vs label to the other panel.

In terms of time, my first (very awful) estimate -born of having no sense of time at all- was 15s per season and 1 panel per second. After 3 panels and a test run I pretty much threw away my "script" (along with a couple lame running gags and "symmetries" between sub plots).

Sticking with only one plot point per season made S5 very depressing. I had a lot of weird "vs" screens for that. Codex & Zaboo vs. Romance. The Guild vs. Cameos (though those probably wouldn't even all fit in their own recap video). Codex vs. Her Big Mouth. But the setup for S6 obviously had to be in there somehow and lack of time made this the only vs panel not just showing the "boss".

I'm curious what kind of trouble others ran into with their videos. After wasting 30min on recording a one line that sounded awful in every single attempt, I'd imagine it must be hell to really "tell" the whole thing.
  • @molokov Of course! Ours is the super-speedy-fangirl-multi-reference approach, haha - ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrPiVGXJTZE&list=PL7atuZxmT9570qG134DDnh-F4wuBihO21&index=8&feature=plpp_video )

I assume yours is the card one? I really like it :D
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    edited September 2012 PM
    @Molokov, @Trienco, @Lozzykins, I'm so glad I don't have to make the choice. Felicia has a tough decision.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • @Lozzykins Yep, I did the Munchkin cards. And wow, yep, I thought yours was great! Love the cut-aways to Laura who can't get a word in edgeways, and her visual references to stuff that happens on Codex's webcam (an others: squid hat)
    Well done!
    How many takes did you have to do to recite all of that so quickly?

• Cheers to everyone with a submissions :) I thought a bunch of them were really good.

• AyeletAyelet Member
    edited September 2012 PM
    Hey guys, saw all of your entries and loved them. I kinda think we all already lost to the singing hand but hmmm.. I guess you never know? 
    Here's mine: 
    I only wish I knew how to edit better. :D 
    And @trienco about the voice - I know! I recorded myself for a video I made once and editing your own voice = nightmare! I also couldn't speak fast enough or do any voice acting so I've asked a friend to record this one. :) 
    Loved your entry btw! 
    @molokov - I gotta hand it to you, simple and yet brilliant! :) 
    @lozzykins - cool idea, I loved the references in the video. :D 

Good luck to everyone! :)

• torontogaltorontogal Member, Moderator
    edited September 2012 PM
    You guys are all so awesomely creative! - nice job by everyone involved :)

I had a quick question for @Tabz - the Hangout that Felicia is holding on Saturday, September 29th - do you know whether that Hangout will be recorded and later posted as a G&S video (similar to what's done with MetaDating, etc)? 

Or will it be a case where the only chance to view it is during the live airing?  Hopefully the recording will be posted for the sake of folks in different time-zones.  But thought I'd ask to find out for sure :)
    @Ayelet The singing hand is probably my favorite so far. Creepy visuals and a catchy song.

How can you doubt your editing, when you somehow managed to cram every main characters development into 90s? I loved Vork and the electro shocker, btw. Perfect pick.

The only line that didn't instantly make my own ears bleed was probably this and it's about as fast as I could do it without just going "mmmhmmhmhmm". Still way too slow. Obviously watching zero punctuation videos a lot does not help with speaking any faster.

Maybe I should have tried to black mai... brib... recompensate the cast to just go and record their lines themselves ,-)