Ep 2 - Gae Bolg from FFXIV

ohcatrinaohcatrina Member
edited May 2014 in Arcade Arms
I quite enjoyed this one, because, DRAGONS. 

Comments

• alanalmeriaalanalmeria Member, Moderator
    edited May 2014 PM

Loved it!

I actually think I preferred this one to the premiere, probably in large part because the weapon of the week/fortnight seemed much more realistically wieldable. And I suppose a lot of the credit for that goes to Arms and Armor, looks like that was a creation priority for them. I also really loved the imitation dragon wings on the weapon, way to troll dragonslayer :-)

Additionally, it seemed like we got a more in-depth look at the crafting this time around as opposed to the premiere, and it will be interesting to see if that continues for future shows in the series or if G&S continue to mix it up. 

I'm looking forward to seeing which hapless inanimate objects die next time :-)

Love The Guild and/or Choose Your Own Adventure Novels? Then make sure to check out The Trials of Codex.

• Is it wrong to profess my undying love for @NikaHarper every week? Her facial expressions during the smashing scenes are always a delight to behold.
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
    edited June 2014 PM
    I have kept quiet for a while to think this through. The show does a really good job to entertain and to celebrate the passion for video games and video game weapons. Nika is... well, she is Nika. She is passionate and enthusiastic and cute and overall brilliant. The craftsmen are really cool, the guys who test/wield the weapons are authentically passionate about wrecking people things and seem to have their sh!t together as far as I can judge it from the very few scenes... the thing that I very much miss, and that is probably just me, is a somewhat realistic evaluation of these weapons and maybe a comparison to real weapons. I don't really see the point of taking a virtual weapon into the real world without doing that. The first two we saw are big pieced of metal. Big pieces of metal break things when we smash/drop them on them - but there is not much more that the show has shown so far.

I understand that I am, to some degree, talking about a different show here, but let me give you just a small example of what angers me: Here Brad says "I don't see any weaknesses with this...". Really? How about the fact that it weights a ton, that it is really top heavy, that is has way to many edges and hooks that have absolutely no purpose and will only get in the way, the fact that it has one (otherwise completely pointless...) point directed at your hands on each side? No weaknesses... come on.

Video game weapons and real world weapons both look how they look for reasons - and I would really like to see these reasons explored or at least touched on in the show. That doesn't mean it has to give a pseudo scientific analysis or that any of the smashing stuff scenes has to be dropped. Just a realistic evaluation by the makers and wielders.

As I said: This is probably mainly me being picky and I totally get that the show has a very different focus - I just cannot not see these things and I do think it is always better to not just entertain but also educate if possible.
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

G+: https://plus.google.com/+DanielWallace/
    twitter: @evildanwallace
  • FarlanderFarlander Member
    edited June 2014 PM
    @Daniel_Wallace, I was thinking the same thing about that crazy hooked blade setup for the Gae Bolg. A few well-barbed nods to the ludicrous impracticality of video game weapons would indeed be a nice addition to the show. I like seeing the crafting, and the segments introducing the weapon through the game design are cool, but I keep imagining some variation on Niel Gaiman's repeated reaction to seeing his books turned into film: massive guilt. He writes a fight scene, then feels guilty watching actors and stuntmen get knocked around in front of the camera. He writes a flying ship into a story, then feels guilty watching a crew of carpenters labor for weeks to construct the thing on set. Where is the video game designer's remorse upon seeing their glorious pixelated creation turned into a physical object that Nika Harper has to try and use to hit something?

I thought it was pretty funny in the first episode to look at the contrast between the Mace of Molag Baal (massively unwieldy and seemingly designed to shred your hand as you lug it around) and the tiny little compact maces the guy used in his regular full contact medieval mayhem. The real things were compact, short, and just heavy enough to pack a whallop. Nika could bash her way through a china shop with one of those, and still have the use of her shoulder afterwards. :}
    @farlander and every else who thinks along these lines: Skallagrim does a (low budget one man vlog) show where he scrutinizes fantasy weapons, tries to explain what is wrong with them, what works, and how you could potentially fix the problems. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxClq4a6GD73kaPeAWbchwwixKl7z1oFS
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

• I'm really liking the Skallagrim videos. Thanks for the link, @Daniel_Wallace. Crafting (and critiquing) fantasy weapons in the real world makes for some entertaining and enlightening projects. I do like that Arcade Arms gets into the lore of the game world, with footage of the weapons in play, and interviews with the game designers, who live by entirely different laws of physics and aesthetics. The more outrageous the design, the funnier it becomes once you build a real model.
  • Speaking of YouTube channels about the practicalities of medieval weapons, my favorite is Schola Gladiatoria. Nots of well-informed, no B.S. discussion about the practicalities of weapons. Sometimes he talks about movies, but so far, nothing about video games.
    Jup, Schola Gladiatoria is pretty good, too. I like Skull a little better as a person, I guess. He seems more like the kind of guy I would hang out with. Also, I have an RPG group with Cara that grew out of a comment I made on one of their videos. :-D
    Another really good channel is Lindybeige. He get's a little rambly some times but makes some really nice points, I think.

So, since we have already pretty much derailed this thread, you have to watch this. Skall's destruction test of a bronze sword is one of the most interesting things on the tubez, if you ask me.

edited June 2014 PM
    I just found this watching some more of Lindybeige's videos and THIS is exactly what it sounds like in my head when I watch this kind of movie... only difference is, that it's mostly in German in my head. ;-)

• Yeah, Lindy's good too, especially at critiquing movies.
  • Funny coincidence, someone over on the Sword Buyer's Guide forum just started a thread on the topic of YouTube sword-discussion channels. Skalla, Schola, and Lindy were the first ones to come up there too.