Elementary - CBS Sherlock Holmes

BaruBaru Member
edited March 2016 in TV & Movies
I was curious if any of you caught the pilot of the new CBS Sherock Holmes adaptation, Elementary. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

• You mean the one that airs September 27? Nope, haven't seen it.
    Absolutely Pointless
    "Adulthood... I'll see you in hell." -Skip Gilchrist
  • It hasn't aired yet? Oh, that's my bad then. I saw the episode linked on Tumblr, so I assumed it had already premiered. 
  • This show is going to be HORRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEE Just go watch Stephen Moffet's BBC Sherlock so much better then what this going to be.
  • I love Sherlock, but it's hardly fair to condemn this show simply for being Sherlock.  Especially when it hasn't even officially aired and you really can't know what it is going to be like. 
  • I love Sherlock, but I am not going to judge Elementary until I have had a chance to see it for myself, it might be different enough to stand on its own merits.
    Follow me online (I will follow back!)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Cadaboo
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Cadaboo
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    I expect it to be a total cluster fx from the lowest minds in Hollywood, just like Life on Mars. I will still give it a go, though.

Imagine a world where the creativity is used to actually create something worthy of our time rather than avoiding copyright infringement with plagiarized crap.

Oh yeah, like here.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • I'll give it a try, eventually. It just feels that between the movies and BBC, Sherlock is receiving sufficient coverage these days. Will this series really have something new and worthwhile to add?
  • While I don’t mind another modern adaptation of Sherlock Holmes, they will be compared to Sherlock. Good luck with that!
  • Oakspoor, I was just watching ashes to ashes which is the follow up to life on mars the british version, that and life on mars are excellent, you should try them some of the best of british I think. 

I just wrote in another thread thinking ivorydoom mentioned it, but a little research she did uncovered it was you, I was thinking about it as I was watching lol
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    Life on Mars was great. Thanks for the heads up on Ashes to Ashes. I'll have to check that out.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • Saw it, liked it.  Lucy Liu makes the show, her character and her acting are awesome!
  • There were some things I liked about the pilot. Elements of the case that I didn't find predictable, which is always a plus. And there's potential for decent character development for Watson and Holmes. As expected, I didn't like it as much as Sherlock, but... I'm going to do my best not to consciously compare the shows, and just take this one for what it is. Still, I'll have to grow more invested in it within the next few episodes than I am so far, or I may not stick with it long. We'll see.
    Absolutely Pointless
    "Adulthood... I'll see you in hell." -Skip Gilchrist
  • For me the jury is still out. I thought the storyline was interesting and I think the character development of Watson and Sherlock will be interesting. I'm not sure why it was that the story didn't capture my attention as much as the BBC version has.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the BBC version re-telling of the original Sir Conan Doyle books? I've never read the original Sherlock books, but I do know that Moriarty was often the villain behind the villain in many of the stories.
    If this is the case maybe the reason I haven't been drawn in is because the story telling just isn't all that good.

I'm going to give the show a few more chances, but for now it isn't a must see.
    Virginian by birth, Chicagoan at heart. Nerd forever!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/tjscott978
    Tumblr: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/trynity978
    Google+: glus.to/tiffanyjscott
  • The Sherlock episodes are indeed inspired by Conan Doyle’s stories, but they are not re-telling in any way, if only to avoid spoilers. They are however ridden with references, most of which I miss as I’m far from a fan. Moreover, their names are similar to Conan Doyle stories: A Study in Scarlett became A Study in Pink, e.g.

Elementary, on the other hand, felt more like a usual crime show with writers less infused with Holmesian culture. Elementary’s Watson, for example, felt a bit flat and generic especially compared to Sherlock’s. Martin Freeman was Watson upfront. Lucy Liu didn’t feel like a Watson at all in the pilot, although I might have been distracted by all her Lucyliuness. I liked the Elementary’s Holmes better, especially his fast-thinking and his hands-on inspection of the scene.

Anyway, the case felt pretty weak. We did get to observe a few Holmes deductions, but we didn’t get to enjoy the almighty Holmes mind.

Obviously the show is twice as short, and I guess writing and filming are proportionally much shorter, so that didn’t help. So I’m with Trynity on this one: not a must see for now, but let’s wait and watch a few other episodes.
  • I think it worked, but mostly because Holmes is still British. The dialogue was clever, Lucy Liu is always a welcome sight, and I also liked Holmes, the police Captain and the Detective as characters. I don't think the case was quite as complex as a Holmes case should be (heck, half of the Castle episodes had more twisty crimes), but it was only the pilot and it's hard to put a huge amount of twistiness into a single hour episode.

Hopefully it'll continue to improve, it certainly shows promise.
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • Trynity978,
    Curiously enough, Moriarty barely appeared in the original stories. He showed up when Doyle wanted to kill off Sherlock, and it was insinuated he had been behind many other cases, but you'd never know it from reading those cases. He was then mentioned again when Doyle brought Sherlock back to explain what had happened. Pretty sure he was never mentioned outside those two stories. He just captured the publics imagination, and so has become a staple of virtually every new Sherlock presentation since then.
  • Oh, that reassures me a lot. As a kid, I read many Holmes stories and, while I remember Moriarty being in a few of them, I certainly don’t remember it being as central as he is in Sherlock.

And I don’t remember Irene Adler or Mycroft at all.
  • This is the first year in quite some time that I am actually giving new tv shows a chance and actually watching a few. Elementary was one of them. I liked the portrayal of Sherlock, but it's going to take me some time to buy Watson. I love the little nods to the "old days" shown so far, but I'm having a hard time transferring the show over into NY as opposed to London. I think that is the one thing I'm having a tough time with that may prevent me from adding this show to my watch list. 
  • I took the summer hiatus to also catch up on the BBC's version (Sherlock) and I loved the actor they got to play Moriarty, but I think he was used way too soon. As a show I like the BBC version better (the movie like length is awesome), but Elementary also has it's place.

Same names, similar premises...but way different shows.  Both good