New Trailer on Kotaku!

ohcatrinaohcatrina Member
edited May 2014 in Arcade Arms
Guess what's coming back, everyone? ;) Watch the trailer here! 

What kind of weapons would you like to see on Arcade Arms? 

Comments

• Wow, this looks like @NikaHarper is having so much fun (especially with the smashing of the things).

Not being much of a video gamer, I don't know of any weapons from games that should be constructed - but anything mediaeval is cool - maybe some siege weapons? (catapults/trebuchets). They're always cool.

Otherwise, I'm sure the trusty rubber-chicken-with-a-pulley-in-the-middle could be good for a laugh :D
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • TriencoTrienco Member, Moderator
    I guess the two outcomes I'm looking forward to in weapons is either "this works a lot better than expected" or "and here are the 271 reasons why this weapon can't work".

So one obvious choice is of course any ridiculously over-sized blade from.. just about any JRPG ever. You know the kind. Or gun-swords (don't combine that with a real gun and maybe just focus on the "grip")

Or the feasibility of "glass" weapons in Elder Scrolls. Is there any material that could be suitable for any kind of weapon and still be remotely considered glass? Hm, I guess if the answer is "no", it would be a pointless episode...

Unfortunately I can't think of any weapons that look incredibly stupid and might yet actually work.
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    edited May 2014 PM
    The Aztec warrior carried a sword of wood with sharp obsidian chips embedded in the edges. Those captured in battle were sacrificed to the gods with obsidian blades. At least according to Gary Jennings.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
    @Zuffy Now it's getting really confusing. It's called glass, but isn't glass, it's also called malachite, but is different from real world malachite. I guess obsidian really is a better comparison (especially due to the "volcanic origin" mentioned on another site).

And now I want to see what happens if you actually try to create armor from it and put it on someone.

Interesting thing I learned today: we are still making blades from obsidian... http://obsidian-scalpel.blogspot.de/
  • Weapons for testing...from video games...hmm. After playing Borderlands 2 for a little while I'd like to see the validity of using a circular saw blade as an axe head, Krieg the Psycho.
  • alanalmeriaalanalmeria Member, Moderator
    edited May 2014 PM

Really looking forwards to this. I love how G&S are appealing to both ends of the spectrum at once, with the in-depth dedicated, highly skilled craftsmanship on one side, and the lets smash things on the other :-)

With respect to specific games, as others have mentioned its hard to compete with the JRPG's, but as a Dynasty Warriors fan, I have to point out some of the ludicrous stuff available in the latest incarnation (82 base weapon sets), and whilst I'm not the greatest beat-em-up aficionado. I do remember pouring a lot of time into Soul Calibur in my PS2 and the eponymous weapon always had a very jagged, horribly unbalanced design that would likely be hideously impractical :-)

Love The Guild and/or Choose Your Own Adventure Novels? Then make sure to check out The Trials of Codex.

• @Trienco

There is such a thing as 'metallic glasses' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphous_metal) though I don't know if you want to count that as glass. Basically they are metals, but the atomic structure resembles that of glass more than of normal metals.

In principle you could make them in to weapons, but they would be more brittle than normal metal weapons.
    @JohnAlan

So, pro: a blocking opponent will have the shards of your weapon flying in his face. Con: you'll probably be unarmed after the first strike. Guess that's not the best ratio between time to make and duration of use...
  • @Trienco

Well, more brittle is a relative term. Iron at room temperature is more brittle than iron at 200 degrees (celsius or farenheit, your choice) but that doesn't mean that iron at room temperature will shatter as soon as you look at it funny.

While a metallic glass weapon will fracture more easily than a polycrystalline (i.e. normal) metal one, it doesn't mean it would necessarily shatter as soon as you use it to hit something.
    @JohnAlan hm, I guess the question would then be: on a scale from unbreakable to cheap cast iron wall-hanger, where could we rank the most sturdy metallic glass?
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    I found this while I was cruising the depths of YT. It seems pertinent to this conversation about brittleness in swards as well as just being impressive as heck.

"but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • That was an amazing episode with the molag bal mace, already looking forward to seeing more weapons getting created and tested!

Here's my proposed suggestions:

-Hidden blade, Assasin's creed.
    -War scythe from any game. Made of steel, I bet it could pierce practicly anything.
    -Soul Calibur. Soul Edge would be impossible with the flesh and all. But Soul Calibur could!
    -Vork's sword. Its massive and would likely do lots of damage. Jeff Lewis could test it!
    -
  • alanalmeriaalanalmeria Member, Moderator

@Rhalius You need to re-watch the Guild S3 DVD extra's. Greg's already shown us how to make Vork's sword.

Also I have the sneaking suspicion the blade would be way to top heavy to function in real life.... On second thoughts, seeing Jeff flailing about with something that he can't even carry might be a lot of fun. Great Idea!

Love The Guild and/or Choose Your Own Adventure Novels? Then make sure to check out The Trials of Codex.

• @Trienco: Having Googled some numbers, the best metallic glasses can reach fracture toughnesses (resistance to cracking) that are comparable to relatively brittle steels, but better than aluminium.
    @JohnAlan Well, I guess if in doubt, one can always go with a mace. Or maybe the people reported about in this article could share their recipe...