TableTop Day 2014--Plans?

OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
edited April 2014 in Geek & Sundry Discussion
This Saturday we get to celebrate table top gaming as a planet.

What are your plans?  Attending an official event? Meeting up with fellow gamers or making time with family or friends?

Use this space to announce your own plans or connect with G&S friends to make some plans.

There are 3 local events, 2 of which I'm going to attempt to attend and support. One is at the public library and the other will be at the friendly local game store. I figure the one at the university Student Union will have enough attendees without me.

Both events I chose are scheduled from 12-4 and 12-5 respectively so maybe a quick couple games at each one will work out. I'll be taking along my own StarFluxx, Tsuro and Qwirkle, just in case.
"but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines

Comments

• We're running an event in Adelaide, SA, here: http://www.tabletopday.com/item/city-small-gods/

Last year, we were the only one in Adelaide. This year, there's 5 events, including the Adelaide Board Game Group (who've been board game fans long before Tabletop and long before City of Small Gods existed). Good on 'em all :D

One day we'll hook up with a FLGS who will host an event. Part of the problem I've found here is that local game stores either don't have the space to host events, or they're not all that friendly...
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • Well, funny story actually!  I went on the website on a whim to see if there were any local things going on and I was amazed to find there was one going on in my town at a game shop I've never heard of.  So I went down to check out this shop and sort of wandered in in a state of awe.  I think the shop owners were probably laughing at me because I literally asked them how long the shop was there.  Apparently, it's been there since November.  At least they didn't say 3 years or something because I would have felt silly!

Anyway, they apparently have weekly board game nights there as well as this event.  I'm excited.  I've only recently been introduced to board games but my friends that play live kind of far so  I am definitely going to try to get over there this weekend!!
  • There is another event being run in Adelaide at The German Club between 11am and 6pm, run by the ABGG and all our welcome!! The bar will be open and they have a great food selection too.

There was plenty of interest to run this event so please feel free to come along - link to our ITTD Facebook site - only need to bring $2 and any games that you'd like to play

• TriencoTrienco Member, Moderator
    Since ITTD seems to be much bigger in Germany this year and there are plenty of events in the southern half, I'll definitely go to one of them. Not to mention I wasn't even aware there's a club in city I work in that meets every Friday.

I'll probably bring a few lesser known games, just in case...
  • Of course, I'll be at the LA event hosted by Geek & Sundry! If I'm not up in the DJ booth running our giant social media stream (if you wanna be on it, use #TableTopDay on your socials!), I'll be roaming the event looking for awesome games to take photos of/awesome peeps to Vine with! Keep an eye out for my blue hair and come say hi! <3 
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    Just found a bunch of free stuff from DriveThruRPG.com to celebrate TableTop Day. There's enough gaming here to keep busy until the next TTD rolls around.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    edited April 2014 PM
    Well I went to the FLGS and met some great folks, picked up some swag and generally had a great time. Good enough that I scrapped my plans to go to the local library to support their efforts. (Sorry)

Started off playing a couple games of Tsuro while waiting for the Munchkin game to end. Then was introduced to Sentinels of the Multiverse which I would recommend for almost everyone. After a couple games of that we broke out Love Letter. I have to say this is probably my favorite game of the day.It was way more fun than Wil, Anne, Grant and Nika made it look on the live feed.

Swag? I got the Gloom set, the Labyrinth mini game, a couple buttons and bookmarks and a very curious card.

This card goes to some game I don't know but has an illustration of Wil sitting with a game of Senet. I had decided a couple weeks ago to make portable Senet games for xmas gifts this year.

Uncanny.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
  • @Oakspoor Interesting that you should say that about Love Letter. From reading about the game beforehand I thought the mechanics would be different for some reason, so when I saw them play on the feed I was fairly disappointed as it just didn't seem as fun as I'd expected - in fact rather basic and a little boring (the game, that is. Nika makes anything worth watching in general). Is there some way you can explain why you liked it so much, that didn't come across during the livefeed game? Or do you think it's one of those things you have to experience for yourself?

I didn't go to an official event because of reasons, but I played a couple of games with my housemates in the evening. First we had Elder Sign with a couple of house rules to increase the difficulty a little, though we still ended up winning fairly easily. The winning move was Sister Mary entering the City of R'lyeh to earn us the final three elder signs needed to win, which was pretty apt since we were facing against Cthulhu himself. We then had a game of Carcassone, where my personal highlight was stealing a 30 point city that another player had been building up for a half the game. Then it was online to play a couple of games of Saboteur on BoardGameArena. Nice end to the day!

Board Game Geek profile | TableTop gifs
    Steam: SirRustyroo | Twitch: SirRustyroo (aka Serious Tyroo) | BoardGameArena: Rustyroo
  • mjr511mjr511 Member
    edited April 2014 PM
    My day involved having a few friends round for the day, we kicked off with some cluedo to get everyone in the mood, then tried the Ivor the Engine board game - a snakes and ladders style game for 4 to 7 year olds, which was actually huge fun despite none of us being under 20! Then had tried QI (to be honest it didn't really hit the spot but I'm glad that we tried it), followed up with a game of hare & rabbits, and finally a long session of cards against humanity, which was, as always, awesome and very very wrong.

I've really enjoyed tracking the TableTopDay hashtag and seeing what others played, I have to go and buy Pandemic and Catan now!
    youtube.com/ravenswingthog
    thoggy.blogspot.com
    @ravenswingthog
  • MolokovMolokov Member
    edited April 2014 PM
    @Oakspoor I think that card with Wil playing Senet is for 7 Wonders. That's a fairly interesting game which is easy to play, but takes a lot of explaining to get started.

@Rusty Love Letter is a great game to play because it's quick, simple, and can be slotted in between the bigger more strategic games. It's a good 'filler' or 'pub game' because it doesn't take up much space, doesn't take long to play, and can be taught to newbies in about 2 minutes.

We played for 11 hours, with about 40 people in attendance, and I got to try a few new games, as well as teach some of my favourites to new players. I ended up winning my first game of Star Trek Catan and also managed to win the last game of the night - Ticket to Ride - despite one of my friends deliberately preventing me from making my route the easy way (on a 22 point ticket) - so I went a different, circuitous route and got there eventually :D

Another cool thing was that during the day, I was playing Gloom and got an email from Atlas Games (the makers of Gloom) saying I was one of the winners of their #GloomyTTD competition so I'll be sent out the Tabletop Gloom bonus pack! :D This is good because it's about the only chance anyone over here will be able to get any of those bonus features they sent to stores - mostly because a) I'd assume very few were sent outside the US and Canada and b) none of our local game stores hosted International Tabletop Day - only the games groups (social clubs) did, plus one board game cafe.

EDIT: Just wanted to say that we had 2 games of Love Letter going on at the same time - one with the European styled artwork (with the Prince=Peter O'Toole/Willem Dafoe as per the Vlogger video) and one with the Japanese styled artwork.
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
    @Rusty, I signed onto BGA just in time to see you sign off. LOL.

Love Letters was fun because there is an aspect of logic/deduction similar to Mastermind trying to guess who has which card. It's also hilarious when a series of turns completely reverses everyone's plans. I imagine that's what happened while the live feed was covering the public event.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
  • @Oakspoor: haha, yeah, I did notice that. I almost stuck around for one more game but I was just too knackered by then!

Thanks for the info, and @Molokov too. I can certainly see some of the positives, I just hope the sheer fun aspect you mentioned comes across better when it appears in season 3!

Board Game Geek profile | TableTop gifs
    Steam: SirRustyroo | Twitch: SirRustyroo (aka Serious Tyroo) | BoardGameArena: Rustyroo
    For around $10, it's worth a shot if you don't find someone to let you sample it first.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
  • ayzilayzil Member
    edited April 2014 PM
    I had a fantastic time at my local game shop which, as I mentioned above, I discovered because of this event!

Anyway, if you didn't catch my twitterspam, I played 5 different games over the course of the day.  I played Rampage, The Adventurers, Takenoko, Dominion, and 7 Wonders, all of which were really fun!  I brought my friend who was so much fun that when she had to leave, she ended up coming back and bringing 2 more friends so yay sharing the love!  I met some really cool people and was invited to join in with their regular game nights, which is exciting.

I ended up buying my own copy of Takenoko to support the shop and also because they were doing 10% off for Table Top Day.  I also got a free Roll For It! Express set as a giveaway and won the Gloom set in the raffle.  My friend got the Labyrinth set as a giveaway.  I had a blast and am really glad I participated and hope to, as Wil likes to say, play more games!
  • Table Top Day was SO MUCH FUN! I already added this in my creation thread, but I thought it might be okay to post here -- some footage from the LA event! (second half is GoT reactions with VERY light an ambiguous spoilers)

Overall (even though I was primarily working) I had a wonderful time at Table Top Day! So happy I got to be part of an amazing team and I hope to play more games every day until the next Table Top Day! 

• MJCMJC Member
    Sadly my friend who I'd organised an afternoon of gaming with was ill, so I got a lot less gaming in than I'd hoped. On the other hand, the bookstore Heffers ran an event that I was at for a couple of hours, including a board-gaming lock-in! Wish I could have stayed longer, but at least I got to win King of Tokyo by virtue of being last monster standing (all hail the Cyber Bunny!)
    "Go forth and screw up" - motto of the New Vlogger Army

Previous finalist in the vlog search - see my science vlog on my YouTube channel: youtube.com/mconterio