Cosplay + Body Image

sachiesachie Member
edited March 2014 in Sachie
Hey everyone!

My most recent video was about cosplaying and body image. This is a very important topic to me because cosplay has really impacted my sense of body image! As I said in my video, I started cosplaying when I was about 15, and some of the comments people made about my body really made an impact on me! 

I've been cosplaying for just over five years now, and I've learned that body shapes, skin colour and gender don't matter when cosplaying! Just cosplay what you love :)

Have you had any issues with body image and cosplay? Are you more inclined to cosplay characters who you physically resemble? Have you ever tried crossplaying / would you try it out? 

I'd love to hear your thoughts! :D 
vlogger on geekandsundryvlogs, cosplayer, and occasional magical girl!
★ youtube.com/sachie
☆ twitter.com/sachiecos
★ facebook.com/sachiecosplay

Comments

• Awesome vlog sachie! I just started cosplaying a little bit ago and it's a lot of fun. I'm 5'11" and over 240+lbs so at first I was skeptical cosplaying, but once I did my first cosplay as a zombie at New York Comic Con last year I was hooked. It was a last minute cosplay (my sister did it on site as we waited for the doors to open) but it came out awesome. It was fun freaking people out as a zombie.

At first, I wasn't sure who to cosplay, but now I have a bunch I would like to do. I already have a 9th, 10th, and 11th doctor cosplays and a casual batman cosplay. Now I am working on a more detailed batman costume. It's a lot of work, but now that it is coming together, I am very proud of it.

From my personal experience, I had many reasons why I didn't want to cosplay, but once I said "screw it" and started making cosplays, nothing's going to stop me now!
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    Here's the link for @Sachie's video;

"but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • Thank you for mentioning support for Gender Swap Cosplay!
    I always worry that I'll get weird looks (Or, you know, digital weird looks) for saying that I want to make a male version of a female character.

There are just so many awesome female characters out there. It would be a sad state of affairs if i wasn't allowed (socially speaking) to get creative and find a way to make them work for a guy!

Currently considering a way to make a Male Gaige (Borderlands 2) :)