Comic Newbie

kewldewd33kewldewd33 Member
edited January 2014 in Amy Dallen
I'm a 39-year-old man who didn't grow up reading comics.  What would be a good series for a newbie?

Comments

• Fiendish_ImpFiendish_Imp Member, Moderator
    It really depends on what you like to read. There are so many different genres out there and great books to read in each.
    I recommend watching @amydallen's vlog. In the seventh episode she tackled this question.
    Some series I have enjoyed: Preacher, Powers, Just a Pilgrim, Batman, Watchmen, Walking Dead, Saga, Y the Last Man, Fables, Hellblazer/Constantine, Scott Pilgrim, The Invisibles, League of Extraordinary Gentleman. So many others but these spring instantly to mind.
    Viva la Retrolution!

http://twitter.com/TheFiendishImp
    Steam ID: fiendish imp
  • Thanks
  • For stuff that's a short, self contained story as a place to start, go for Watchmen or V for Vendetta. They are both considered classics by Alan Moore, and with good reason.

I'd also recommend Sandman (Neil Gaiman) and Fables (Bill Willingham) but both are quite long [Fables is still being published!] and require a significant investment of money!

Y The Last Man is quite good too, and if you're a bit of a political cynic, then Warren Ellis's Transmetropolitan is fantastic. Actually, most things written by Warren Ellis are good.

J. Michael Straczynski's Rising Stars is a good look at superheroes from a different perspective, or for something kid friendly, find Bone by Jeff Smith.

New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Amy's Geek Week video (mentioned by Fiendish_Imp) was a big help. I have never gotten into comic books before and had no idea where to start, especially when it comes to the X-Men. I was a huge fan of the 90's cartoon show, but have felt overwhelmed in the past when looking at the huge number of X-Men comics out there. I'm going to follow her recommendations made in the video.

Also I'm going to go out this weekend and get Y: The Last Man, since I'm a huge fan of dystopian fiction.

A question. I was looking at some of these recommendations on Amazon. Some of the items being sold from third parties described the items as being "Carded and Bagged". Can someone explain what this means?

Thanks!
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    edited May 2014 PM
    @Mistercam, Welcome to the forums! I believe "carded and bagged" means there is a thin piece of cardboard with the comic in a protective plastic sleeve..

@Kewidewd33, All you can do is browse until something literally catches your eye. I was going through my local used book store and found a couple of Ray Bradbury graphic novels I couldn't resist. Of course, it's Ame's fault I was in that section to begin with.

The lfgs here is mostly dedicated to comics sales. When I go in for TableTop Tuesdays, I've been admiring a couple of items that are just not in my budget at the moment. The farthest out is a huge tome of Dark Horse' collected Conan tales.There is another hardbound novel about medieval mice I consider each trip.

Saturday is Free Comic Book Day so get to your local shop early and grab a few at random. If you don't care for those then you can pass them on to someone else and you have only invested a little time.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • MolokovMolokov Member
    edited May 2014 PM
    I might need to point out that "Free Comic Book Day" doesn't mean everything in the comic book store is free, just specific special items :D

A few years ago, a thief tried to take it a bit literally and steal some stuff from a local store, but the owner - dressed as Spider-man - together with a few local cosplayers also there helping out - stopped the thief. It made the papers :D

EDIT: Found one of the articles about it: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/may/03/spider-man-catches-thief-adelaide

The David Humphrey (Jedi!) quoted at the end of the article is the husband of a friend of mine, and the Adelaide Comics Centre are good blokes who've sponsored fan events I've helped run before.

EDIT 2: Looks like the story actually hit newspapers (or at least the online version of them) around the world! Lots of hits on my google search :D
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • @Molokov that's hysterical

I'll definitely have to head down to the local comic book shop on Saturday. I actually just visited the shop this evening and picked up the first volume of Y: The Last Man. I also picked up The Dark Phoenix Saga (just because I loved that part of the 90's X-Men cartoon I used to watch as a child, and would like to read the full story.)
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    @mistercam and anyone else who may be interested; DriveThruComics has 500+ titles available for FREE download.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • Thanks @Oakspoor!
  • Hi. I am looking at trying to get bags and backers for comic books. I found something on the internet about resealable bags and non-resealable bags, but nothing that clearly explains the different between the two. Could someone please explain what the difference is? Or point to some pictures or videos of what the difference?
  • @BingoBard, I'm not 100% sure, but I'd guess that resealable comic book bags are clear plastic sleeves that have a fold-over flap with a light adhesive strip. I've got a number of game component bags like that, and I think I've seen people using them for comics, too. Lots of magazines get shipped in non-resealable bags, which you just tear open and discard, so I expect that's the other kind.