G&S Steam Game Night!!!

****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ******

If you've found this thread looking for G&S game night info please see the shiny new thread we have: http://geekandsundry.com/forums/discussion/6141/geek-sundry-community-online-game-night

****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ****** ******

Welcome to the Geek and Sundry Game Night Thread!  We are using the Steam network and bringing together the community through Games!

In the next few pages, you will find out some more information regarding what we have done and what is currently happening!  Please feel free to join in and comment. We get together to chat and game using the Geek and Sundry GROUP CHAT method on Steam.  If you add myself (TableTopWizard) to your Steam friends list, I can get you in the games. 

Each month the game changes.  We did this to limit the $$$ spent out by the community.  At the final Night each month, we hold a tournament to crown the Tabletop Champion of the Month, with their very own Winner's Certificate, as well.

WHAT: G&S Game Night @ 10:00 PM ET (-5:00 GMT) every Friday night!

CURRENT MONTH'S GAME: Small World 2

January Game Night Champion : Ticket to Ride Champion @Farlander

photo GSTTW_zps01c98256.jpg

G&S Game Night on Steam - Fridays @ 10:00PM ET (US Start)

Time And Relative Dimension In Space

Twitter Handle : TableTopWizard1
XBox Live GT : xICEMANx41
Steam Handle : TableTopWizard

Comments

• I'm happy to join in for Ticket to Ride, timezone dependent :D
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • What is your timezone dependency?  I am Eastern Time (NY).  Just need to know so I can hook up with you.

• Adelaide, GMT+930 - currently at +1030 due to summer time.

American time zones are a pointless reference for international people, because our knowledge of your geography is probably just as bad as your knowledge of our geography :D Timezones should always be quoted in GMT/UTC because that's fair for everyone all around the world :D

There's always http://timeanddate.com to work out the differences too :)
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • LOL!  Well that is why I put New York!  I always forget the different zones.  :p

• Using your chart, that puts you 5 hours ahead of me.

• Fiendish_ImpFiendish_Imp Member, Moderator
    Steam game nights would be awesome.
    New Jersey, GMT -500 but i am up all hours most nights
    Viva la Retrolution!

http://twitter.com/TheFiendishImp
    Steam ID: fiendish imp
  • edited January 2014 PM
    @Fiendish_Imp I sent you a friend request today.  You too @Molokov.  From the G&S Steam group

@TableTopWizard Request accepted!
    Viva la Retrolution!

• edited January 2014 PM

When do you guys want to try this?  Saturdays or Sundays might be easier to pick up our Euro and Aussie Geeks!  As far as I can see, I have found about 5 TableTop games so far and still looking.  Maybe have a set day and time frame and allow others to jump in?  Still learning how it all works.  Any suggestions?  Maybe a different game every 2 weeks or a month, like GAME OF THE MONTH?  That way - players are not buying new ones each week...

My schedule is so erratic (such is the retail life) but given enough notice I can swing just about anything. Which games have you found so far? Maybe start with a game of the month, and branch out from there. Having read that ohcatrina was trying to contact the mods of the G&S Steam group, I wonder if they want to run official things, which would super awesome.
    Viva la Retrolution!

• missris911missris911 Member
    edited January 2014 PM
    Yay this sounds awesome!! I am also New York / GMT-500.

And I'm usually up pretty late thursday nights and weekends. 
  • My schedule changes week to week, but yes, weekends are probably best. I am not logged into Steam all the time, so if you let me know (via PM here) a window at least 24 hours in advance I will see what I can do. I only have Ticket to Ride at the moment (out of the board game ones) so others may have to be added to the wishlist.

• edited January 2014 PM

Look at us!  Creating new things for @ohcatrina to promote!  LOL.  As @Molokov said, I have seen Ticket to Ride with multiple add on maps at $1 to $3 dollars each to add on.  So it would be possible to make Ticket to Ride the January Game of the Month, since he already has that one and possibly do different maps each week?

@Fiendish_Imp I have seen Ticket to Ride, Small World 2, Catan, Elder Sign (omens), Dragon Age (dont know if their version would work).

• What an awesome idea! Time zome differences can be rough, but I approve of this. If you guys let me know ahead of time, I can link your games or streams as well on twitter to help this grow. :) I'll be online this weekend, playing through a backlog of games that I bought when I downloaded Steam. 
  • Well Saturdays seem good for all. With time zones.... What about 7pm or 8pm gmt? That would start at 2pm or 3pm gmt-5 hours New York time?

It could be gaming all day. It would give the others a good time to hop on in Europe. The US geeks can play throughout the day. The Aussie/Asia crowd could join in later in the evening/night US - NY time, as it would be mid-morning/afternoon there. Good time?

Ticket to Ride is the game, it seems. If you want, we could do this week as a "learn the game week" and then do a mini tournament next week...

Ideas, comments? I am thinking like Wil. Teach others to play and then lose to them!
    I love games! Not too many people around my way to play with, so Steam is awesome! I am elated to see that @ohcatrina loves the idea!

• Plus. Anyone thought of a way to communicate while playing maybe? Would a skype deal work or just straight gaming? Like I said in the D&D area, not skyped yet, but not against trying.

• Sounds interesting. I'm not on Steam (yet), but that may come.

I've got the same time zone problems for the Geekend Hangouts, so here's a suggestion: create a G+ event (with a link if possible. Either to this thread or to Steam if there is the possibility) so that everyone can check there what exactly their local time is. And people can also indicate if they want to participate or not.

Just a thought.
  • I have been trying to learn Magic. Downloaded on 360.

I have the headset X31, USB. So I can communicate anyway possible.

Should we set up a time to get some of us on the G&S chat line and go over these ideas? Get a good setup, I can write up something and we can get dates, times, rules, etc out to the community. Thoughts? Maybe a time tomorrow evening/night... I can help build this up right, with your help, and get it growing! Have our very own Game Night is awesome.

• Using text/voice chat through Steam itself is possibly the quickest and simplest option - I've done that successfully before (chatting with my friend while we were playing Portal 2 co-op together).

• That sounds good.  So game chat on game? 

This discussion has been closed.