Geeks, Nerds and Neek Gerds..

edited December 2013 in Geek & Sundry Discussion
Out of pure curiosity.. I would like to find out who considers themselves a geek, nerd, neek or gerd (Yes.. I made those last two up on the spot as name place fillers).. To clarify.. Geeks are gamers, comic book readers, anime fans etc.. Nerds are mathematicians, Musicians, scientists etc.. Neeks are both but more nerd and herds are more geek… Also if you want to add your country of origin so it gives a rough headcount of where to find geeks, nerds and neek/gerds.. Complaints and hatred for me or this idea are welcome too if you so wished..

Comments

• TranquilityTranquility Member
    edited December 2013 PM
    I think those terms are broadly interchangable in meaning and a matter of personal preference. What you like doesn't make you one thing or another - many of us like lots of different things. Smushing the words together to make new ones is largly unhelpful (but, I appreciate, also a bit of silly fun).

Use whatever word you like, but don't assume that somebody who uses a different word is talking about something different to you.

To quote Wil Wheaton (emphasis mine), "it’s not about what you love. It’s about how you love it."
  • Over at the Geekend Hangouts, we've discussed it a lot.
    The terms are becoming interchangeable, but if you really want to make a distinction, here's the best answer I found so far.

At the core, all geeks and nerds (ideally) share the same values or personality traits. They are curious, enthusiastic and inclusive.
    Geeks are more on the collecting side: stuff, data, information and knowledge like books, figurines, being able to recite Lord of the Rings by heart, ...
    Nerds are more on the doing side: crafts and academia like cosplay, math, engineering, acting, directing, writing, ...

And so you can be a nerd in one part of your life, a geek in another and both in a third (I'm both a writing geek and nerd, for example).
  • In your description, I am more GEEK, but I have a few NERD ideals.... I guess I am GERD?
    photo GSTTW_zps01c98256.jpg

G&S Game Night on Steam - Fridays @ 10:00PM ET (US Start)

Time And Relative Dimension In Space

Twitter Handle : TableTopWizard1
    XBox Live GT : xICEMANx41
    Steam Handle : TableTopWizard
  • I think you need to trace our collective ancestry back to the Ancient Geeks or the various Nerdite Tribes of Atlantis to fully understand the gradual migration of geekish traits and nerdisms into the great Sundry we know today.

Personally, I am the spawn of a Midwestern Physicist and a New Jersey Librarian, so my destiny was pretty well sewn up right there; classic strains of erudite obscurity. Even so, I never really considered myself a geek or a nerd growing up, despite loving all the things that are the gravity well of our kind, simply because I thought of myself as an artist, first. It required the Green Oriflamme of the mighty Felicia Day to make me recognize my own spots, and in hearkening to her banner I find myself in a rambling herd of nerds marching as a community of awesomeness toward a future beyond the wildest dreams of those Ancient Geeks of myth and legend.

Welcome to the forums, @Kazuto_Kirigawa! :}
  • @Farlander Jersey Represent even though it might just be your mom.

Going by MrGrokNRoll's definitions I am more of a Geek at the moment though I am trying to fit more Nerd-dom into my life. Desperately trying to find my "creative groove" so to speak.

Great quote @Tranquility. Sums it up perfect imho.
    For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: Know more about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    I am both and neither. Some close friends insist that I'm a Dork.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • Do you happen to tell cheesey old man jokes @Oakspoor?
    For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: Know more about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
    edited December 2013 PM
    Who? Me? Would I do such a thing?

I've had a cold this past week, but its all in my head.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
  • *giggle*

I get the dork moniker for my love of cheesey jokes
  • I always figured geek and nerd pretty much meant the same thing. I'm dutch though, and also once thought monkeys and apes meant the same thing.

Personly I just don't see me as any such things though. I'm just being me.

At best I could describe myself as someone who likes stories.Wether I am watching them, writing them or reading them, I just like to experience it in some way.

This does include an interest in fantasy and science fiction, as long as it's not too.. "out there" Not too over the top with these fiction elements. The problem with many settings is that they want to throw too much in there, and it tends to make it a bit too messy and unfocused for my taste.

But I like most kind of stories, really. All genres as long as its done right.

As for my own participation in it, I have been roleplaying in online games for about ten years now. Setting doesnt mind as much to me as long as I can immerse myself in it. Used to be Neverwinter Nights and thus D&D, and these days its The Old Republic and thus star wars.

Aside from this I also put picture stories online using playmobil toys, allowing me to write the story around the pictures. Medieval and pirate stories, for now kind of historical, but I might dabble with some fantasy stuff in the future.

So I'd gues that makes me a story enthusiast at best.

• Nerd girl, geek girl. I use the 2 interchangeably. But I know there has been lengthy debate about them.

I always thought of nerds as more intellectuals (programmers, scientists, etc) and geeks as fanboys/girls (comics, star wars, etc).

But now they seem to both be the same sorta thing.

Either way I take them as a compliment.
  • Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
    Complaints but no hatred right here. :-)

I think the whole differentiation is somewhere in between useless and stupid and I therefore oppose to being categorized within the subculture. As many have said, I also use both terms interchangeably and we should really not be in the business of label finding.
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

G+: https://plus.google.com/+DanielWallace/
    twitter: @evildanwallace
  • Indeed, what the people of this community seem to be doing is exploring new stuff outside their regular favorite things all the time. Kind of stepping outside of any label that could have been applied to them.

I'm sure there are narrow minded "geeks" as well, but this does seem quite rare despite it being the stereotype. (Something like comic book guy from the simpsons.)

I'd say pretty much all geeks/nerds are quite open and accepting of new things, aside from some of the more social steps to take sometimes, but this would be more due to lack of courage than lack of interest.
    "I think the whole differentiation is somewhere in between useless and
    stupid and I therefore oppose to being categorized within the
    subculture."

The debate is interesting, though, as to how geeks/nerds are perceived by society as a whole.

And I want my dork subculture both as a cheesy geektastic nerd and as the other definition as well.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy @Oakspoor
    @gigglz187 I am so going to have that made into a t-shirt! LOL
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
  • YUS!!!
  • FarlanderFarlander Member
    edited December 2013 PM
    Aged @Oakspoor Cheddar: When you care enough to send the very best funny fromage. :}
  • hahah

photo GSTTW_zps01c98256.jpg

G&S Game Night on Steam - Fridays @ 10:00PM ET (US Start)

Time And Relative Dimension In Space

Twitter Handle : TableTopWizard1
    XBox Live GT : xICEMANx41
    Steam Handle : TableTopWizard