Geek and Sundry 2013 - Year In Review

Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
edited December 2013 in Geek & Sundry Discussion
EDIT: This used to be "The G&S Forums Mod Squad Advent Calendar". Since advent is over, I'm now renaming it to "Geek and Sundry 2013 - Year In Review" and will unannounce it soon-ish.

Welcome to the G&S Forums Mod Squad Advent Calendar!

We mods want to use this thread to take a look back on 2013 on and around G&S. One of us will make a post here every day starting on December 1st and ending on the 24th.

We'll start our journey through time in January and we'll talk about all the things that happened throughout this year, (hopefully) covering all the important points - like the renewal of G&S, the new shows, the end of The Guild, TableTop season 2, the new vlogging channel and many, many more.

Each post will provide you with links to videos, interviews and pictures that you might have missed, or will (hopefully) fondly remember when seeing them again. Please feel free to give us your perspective and add your own links!

Disclaimer: All of this is organized and executed by some of the G&S forums' moderators. All of us are just fans who were trusted to keep the forums in order, nothing less and nothing more. All opinions voiced are private views and by no means officially sanctioned by G&S.
If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

G+: https://plus.google.com/+DanielWallace/
twitter: @evildanwallace

Comments

• Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
    edited December 2013 PM

1st of December

As I said, we'll start our journey through time at the beginning of this year. It actually seems like a very, very long time ago, looking back.

For example, we didn't know if there would be a second year of G&S. So, there were a lot of thoughts about the business side of G&S and online video in the forums and Felicia talked about that in a lot of interviews. Spoiler alert: It all turned out good. ;-)

This episode of "What's Trending?" with Felicia captures the feeling of this time very well.

Here is a link if the embedded video above is not working on your device.

As mentioned in the interview, the IAWTV awards took place on the side of CES. Felicias show "The Flog" (that was discontinued due to scheduling problems in year two) won two awards, one for Best Writing (Non-Fiction) for Felicia and one for Best Directing (Non-Fiction) for Sean Becker.

BTW, here is a link to the "The Flog Christmas Eve Spectacular" - all resemblances between the "Retro Game Play Through" segment and "Co-Optitude" are entirely accidental and have nothing to do with it being the same concept done by the same people... ;-)

Not very surprisingly, G&S was a little different from today back then. For example, the first video to air in 2013 was one of the "G&S Hangouts on Tuesday". For those who don't remember - G+ implemented this new function in 2012 that made in possible to not only do video calls but also to stream them live and put them on YouTube right after streaming. Yes, it was that recently. Well, G&S started four shows using this system called the "G&S Hangouts on Tuesday" in 2012 and they were still around at the beginning of 2013.

I loved the hangouts and I want to dedicate some of these posts to them, because almost all of them didn't make it into G&S year two and they were and are truly amazing to watch.

The first one to mention is "Vaginal Fantasy".  The show started on Felicia's personal channel and it is actually the only one that survived the wheels of time. It's probably well known since it is still around, so I'll keep it brief here.

Felicia Day, Veronica Belmont, Bonnie Burton and Kiala Kazebee have a book club where they read a genre fiction romance novel every month and we get to eavesdrop on their conversation about it. A lot of us watch it without ever having read one of the books, just because it's hilarious.

Here is a link to the very first episode, back on Felicia's personal channel. It has a certain rough, simple beauty to it, especially knowing what it would end up to be - so enjoy. :-)

Here is a link if the embedded video above is not working on your device.

We'll get to the other hangouts in later posts.  For now: What are your memories connected to the beginning of 2013 and Geek & Sundry? What shows do you miss? What changes do you like?

Stay tuned for tomorrow's post!
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

• torontogaltorontogal Member, Moderator
    edited December 2013 PM
    Thank you @Daniel_Wallace for our first trip down memory lane!  The cool thing about Geek and Sundry is that whilst it has content that have amazing TV-level production value, it has also used Hangouts to showcase the entertainment provided via camaraderie, wit, and conversation between friends.  Vaginal Fantasy continues to be proof-positive of this :)
  • Fiendish_ImpFiendish_Imp Member, Moderator
    Hangouts are always fun to watch because you never know where the conversation is going to go.
    Viva la Retrolution!

http://twitter.com/TheFiendishImp
    Steam ID: fiendish imp
    edited December 2013 PM
    I really miss the hangouts. :-( Vaginal Fantasy is great but once a month is simply not enough...

That said, after having participated in some hangouts myself, I definitely know that there is more work to them then it looks like on first glance and that it's, for example, not so easy to provide a good enough internet connection when traveling and all of these things. Therefore I now understand the reasons why the hangouts were discontinued more then ever.

Well, at least the community has provided us some great alternatives to watch, like #cocktales and #geekend. :-)

edited December 2013 PM

2nd of December

Once upon a time, there was "The Storyboard", a G&S Hangout on Tuesday hosted by Pat Rothfuss. It was actually the first video on G&S in 2013. Yes, I mentioned that yesterday, but I wanted to start this post with "once upon a time" and needed something to connect after that. Sue me. :-)

Well, as I also said yesterday, there were initially four hangouts of which only VagFan made it into year two. The reason was mostly that the hosts are all really busy folks, so that many of them couldn't fit the hangouts into their schedules anymore.

In the case of Mr. Rothfuss, some of his fans will probably say: "Good! He should sit his butt down and write! I want my part three!" - but to these people I can only say: Patrick Rothfuss is as little your bitch as GRRM is. ;-) (reference the link if you need context for that one).

Anyways, the concept of Storyboard was, that the multi award winning author of The Kingkiller Chronicle Pat Rotfuss sat down with one to four other authors or creators to talk about a general topic of story telling.

Little known fact: This kind of conversation was the other "prototype" for this kind of show besides Vaginal Fantasy, since Pat did something very similar during the live stream subscribathon at the launch of G&S. So for everyone who loved The Storyboard, here is "Episode Zero" and here is a playlist with all the other episodes since I really cannot decide which I like best.

Two of my many favorites are: "10 Tips for Fantastic Sex" (also embedded below) with the amazing Jacqueline Carey and "The Play's the Thing" about role playing authors.

A favorite among the hangouts by many was "Metadating", hosted by Sean Plott aka Day[9]. Sean discussed romantically themed video games with his friends Bill Graner and Sean Bouchard. My favorite episode was the one about indy games, so I'll simply link to that one.

Here is a link if the embedded video above should not work on your device.

Last but not least, "#parent", hosted by Kristen Rutherford and Mike Phirman. A show about the joys and challenges of being geek parents, raising geeklings. I don't have kids and I'm not planing on having them for a couple of years to come but I loved this show. Kristen and Mike are two of the most goofie-cool people on the planet and all the guests were amazing. I especially liked the "Music for Geeklings" episode.

Here is a link if the embedded video above should not work on your device.

edited December 2013 PM

3rd of December

With the end of year one of G&S, a whole lot of shows ended. Some were pretty obvious, others a shock to the system. The first to mention are the Dark Horse motion comics. Technically, they had already finished pre 2013, but they still deserve a mention ere (and more...). For myself, they were the first step to rediscovering comics. The bigger step was still a long way down the road, but that's for later.

Motion comics are a pretty controversial topic, but even those who didn't like them so much to begin with had to admit that those by Dark Horse on G&S were as good as they got. Here is a link to the complete collection and here is an embedded video of my personal favorite...

Link to the video in case your device doesn't show you the embedded version.

The only ones more competent in kickin' monster butts then teddy bears are plush bunnys. Just say'in...

That's actually a nice segue (you know it's web 2.0 when every good segue is explicitly mentioned to be one). As the geekenders worked out, children and geeks are very much alike in a lot of things.

Having that in mind, it's no surprise that "Writen By a Kid" turned out to be a really successful show. The rooster of old and new media stars (Joss Whedon, Mystery Guitar Man, Jeff Lewis, Rhett & Link, to name only a few) did it's part to draw people into the show, but the consistent amazingness (that is a word... now) of all the episodes made it into a lighthouse of what kind of crazy awesome content can only exist on the web - made possible for a good part by executive producer Kim Evey who is mentioned by everyone in every interview (here is one) to be essential for why this show worked so well.

Here is the full playlist and here, again, is my personal favorite:

Link if embedded video does not work.

Oh, and you should totally check out all the "making of" and bonus videos linked at the end of every WBAK video. They are as much fun as the actual videos.

Another great show, it actually turned out to be one of my personal favorites, was Learning Town. It already had a trailer when G&S started - the trailer is actually video number ten on the channel... and man, it's sh*t. :-D Luckily, the show itself was a few magnitudes better. ;-) You should simply start watching it from episode one if you don't know it, but even before that and for everyone who has seen the show - here is a playlist of all the music videos featured in it... and you probably know the rest by now. :-)

Link if embedded video does not work for you.

Good times. :-)

edited December 2013 PM

4th of December

While scripted shows like "Learning Town" came to an end that felt very natural and others like "Written By A Kid" will be missed for sure, the end of three shows really made a huge impact on the community.

The first one to mention here is "Sword and Laser". Starting out as an audio podcast hosted by Veronica Belmont and Tom Merritt, the show brought a good audience with it when it turned into a
    high production value video show on G&S. The format of the initial book club show was altered a couple of times during the first year, adding the (may I add brilliant) "Author Guide" episodes and different segments.

While everyone who loved the show loved it fiercely, the audience didn't grow as much as hoped and expected. G&S has a lot more freedom then traditional media business - but at the end of the
    day, it is still a business. When Felicia said in a bunch of interviews that she had to cancel friend's shows and that this was no fun at all, it wasn't hard to figure out which show she meant. So at the end of year one, while fans were petrified, "Sword & Laser" was not continued.

Luckily, there is a good end to this story. :-) Sword and Laser moved back to being what it was before - an audio show with occasional hangouts and other videos. Then, they did what many have said they should do: A Kickstarter. Season two funded in under two days and they raised more then double the amount they asked for. Oh, by the way, the original set is still there. If you don't believe me, maybe you will believe Veronica - it's about 1 min 48 s in, in case the direct link does not work. So, even though they are not part of G&S anymore, 12 episodes of Sword and Laser are on their way. While you wait, here is a play list with all the Sword and Laser shows in Season one, and here is my favorite author guide.

Link to the play list in case the embedded video refuses to cooperate with you.
    (Yes, I have already chosen the Jacquelin Carey episode as my favorite when I talked about "The Story Board". Yup, I might have an agenda here to make you read her amazing books...)

The other show that's end provoked some real nerd rage was "The Flog". As Felicia explained in this blog post and during some interviews, running the G&S network and being creative as a producer, writer and overall artist is an incredibly time consuming job. A show like "The Flog" that takes a ton of time to produce proved to big of a burden on top of that. Or, as Felicia said it in the article linked above:

"As an artist I need some space to figure out if and when I can make
    something new, that I’ll love as much as The Guild, that YOU will love
    as much as The Guild.
    "

Many of us seem to forget how much time and effort making the things that we
    love takes and how much creators and artists take upon themselves to make these things in the time and with the budget and tools they have. We as an audience should take the time remember that sometimes. Here are all of Felicia's shenanigans of "The Flog" in a handy play list and here is one of my favorite episodes...

Link to the list in case the embedded video is to shy to play for you.

The quote above also takes us to the third show that ended... and maybe ended for good. The final of "The Guild" was something we had to cover in this review of 2013 on G&S - but I personally was really hesitant to tackle the topic. That's why @alanalmeria and I social engineered the best person we could imagine to write tomorrows post and deal with what felt like losing a friend to many of us.

Come back for @Torontogal 's coverage of the end of "The Gulld" tomorrow.

• Hey wait a minute there was a Sword & Laser Kickstarter and I never heard of it???? I loved the video show but haven't listened to the podcast much at all... glad Lem will be back :D
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
    edited December 2013 PM

5th of December

So as we continue onwards with G&S 2013 milestones, I have a quick pop-quiz for you.  Can you think of any long-running show where there series finale was liked by 99% of people?  It would be difficult to find any such mainstream example.

But 2013 was the year that The Guild ended its illustrious run as a web-series, via the episode ‘End Game’ – and if you do a mathematical calculation on the YouTube Like/Dislike ratio for that episode, it literally has over 99% Likes!   As always, The Guild is a show that has broken the traditional rules :)

In many ways, if it weren’t for The Guild, we wouldn’t have Geek and Sundry.  The show has been a six-year journey of daring creativity, grassroots spirit, indie enthusiasm, and consistent hard-work.  And in 2013, Felicia and her cast-mates, producers, and crew blessed us all with a touching, heartfelt culmination of their journey via a brilliant episode that took the story full-circle.

As a fan, one of the most gratifying things I witnessed during the airing of that episode, was continually refreshing my browser and watching hundreds upon hundreds of positive, thoughtful, appreciative YouTube comments come pouring in.  There was a tidal wave of response from people who love the characters, and were touched by the ending, and who freely admitted that it made them tearful, and affected, and joyous.

Watching that outpouring of gratitude felt very much in line with the theme of The Guild – because even though we audience members are from all over the world, and from different age-groups, and different backgrounds, and even though we may never have met one another?  In that moment in time, whilst commenting on that episode, we were all connected in a lovely communal experience, taking joy in a brilliant piece of online content.  And that very much ties into the spirit of The Guild – the way we can find connections with people in the unlikeliest of places.

For those who may not have seen it, here is the episode itself.

(episode link)

After the episode aired, a lot of fans have asked whether this was indeed the finale of The Guild.  As noted above, Felicia has confirmed that this episode represents the conclusion of The Guild as a web-series and she’s talked about how that was a significant and emotional moment in her life.  That interview is proof positive of how much the show has meant to her.

Here on the forums, a lot of us have talked in-depth about the final episode, and you can read myself and other fans do an analysis of theme and character over in this thread :)

In a lot of ways, the conclusion of The Guild feels like a 'Graduation Day' for our cast and crew.  Though they may no longer get to see each other under the context of filming the show, I sense they’ll always be the kind of friends/family who’ll reconnect, remain close, and support one another.

On that topic, it’s important to note that during 2013, one of the dedicated, driving forces behind The Guild, Kim Evey, made the decision to pursue new adventures and try things outside of the world of Geek and Sundry.  Given her huge contributions, I can’t help but link to the Thank You thread we put together for her.

Just like Kim, the Guildies have been doing amazing things in terms of producing content, starring in shows, pursuing business ventures, etc.  But as noted above, I think one of the lasting effects of the show is the way that the cast and crew became an extended family.  You can get a sense of their teasing, affectionate camaraderie in the final Guild Hangout.  And though they may be walking on differing roads, I’m sure there will be moments where their paths will cross again, resulting in more joyous creative endeavors :)

I’ll end by saying that if you want a thoughtful, honest, inspiring look into the journey behind The Guild, you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of ‘The Guild: The Official Companion’.  It’s a great keepsake that fans will adore.  Deepest thanks to the cast and crew of The Guild – you traveled down such a daring path, and it was a joy that we got to walk alongside you :)

Stay tuned for tomorrow, where we continue discussing G&S milestones!

edited December 2013 PM
    As proof-positive of the amazing fan-interaction between Felicia, Geek and Sundry, and their fan-base, Felicia has complimented this thread via Twitter, and the G&S Twitter account was kind enough to re-tweet the link :)

For fellow G&S'ers that are finding their way here through the re-tweet, feel free to share some of your favorite G&S memories!  Leading up until December 25th, this thread will continue to have a daily post, focusing in on the bunch of amazing things G&S accomplished over 2013.  So keep an eye on it, and you may learn some cool new Geek and Sundry facts - and don't be shy about participating in the conversation!

• Felicia is right, an amazing wrap up indeed. @Daniel_Wallace and @torontogal have summarized in a way where you can really feel the passion they have, as all of us in this community have, for Geek & Sundry. Great job so far. I am really looking forward to more posts in this thread!
    For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: Know more about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
    edited December 2013 PM
    Thank you very much. We actually had great help from @Alanalmeria who went through a ton of material and came up with the whole concept of which topics to cover in which posts, outlined each post and provided most of the links we used - and his posts to come are really, really good.

We also have a bunch of posts by other mods coming and I'm talking to other senior members now, who will possibly join in as well. If anybody has any suggestions, just let us know. Most posts are still in draft form, so ideas are always welcome.

Hard to believe I had this idea like 5 days before we started. :-D

edited December 2013 PM
    @gigglz187 - thanks so much for the kind words!  Definitely happy to hear you've been enjoying the content so far, and as always, I certainly appreciate your enthusiastic replies and participation!

As @Daniel_Wallace said, this was an idea that he came up with, and he and @AlanAlmeria have being doing a boatload of organization/coordination amongst the volunteer mod-squad to make it a success.

As always, it's a pleasure to be able to do something cool for this great community - our fellow fans are what make the efforts worthwhile! :)
  • alanalmeriaalanalmeria Member, Moderator
    edited December 2013 PM

Its a lie I tell you, a horrible stinking lie.

Actually @Daniel_Wallace is exaggerating immensely. Probably the best thing about this project, is how it has been such a team effort from start to finish, and hopefully the next time he has another brilliant idea like this, he will share it with the mod squad just a few days weeks months sooner :-)

As @TorontoGal said its our fellow G&Sundrians that make all of this worthwhile, and each and every one of you is responsible for making these forums the best place on the entire internet. 

Hope you enjoy the rest of the show.

Love The Guild and/or Choose Your Own Adventure Novels? Then make sure to check out The Trials of Codex.

edited December 2013 PM
    @AlanAlmeria - you are as always, charmingly humble and self-deprecating - it was really awesome getting to work with you on this initiative! :)
    edited December 2013 PM

6th of December

So as we continue our trip down memory lane, we flashback to the nervous anticipation that was building regarding Geek and Sundry, prior to the April 2013 time-frame.

You see, the secret sauce behind G&S is that it was part of a grand experiment by Google/YouTube to create a set of ‘original content channels’.  What that meant is that G&S was funded by Google/YT to create a year of content from April 2012 to April 2013.  But what it also meant was that a Year 2 of G&S wasn’t guaranteed… the future of G&S depended on being 'renewed' for another year...

There were already rumblings that Google/YT were going to cut funding to 60% of their original content channels.  And for us fans on ground level, we knew that the best way to secure a return for our favorite channel was by spreading the word, drumming up support, and trying to boost the number of Likes/Subscribers/Views and watch-totals.  So we leaped into YouTube comments, and social media, and did what we could to get the word out.

You can see our awesome forum-members rally around that cause in our 500,000 Subscriber forum thread.  The amazing thing was that right on the eve of Geek and Sundry’s potential Year 2, we hit the magic number, and Felicia provided a warm note of thanks/appreciation :)
    The question still remained, though – did Geek and Sundry get renewed? – when would we find out for sure?  The official answer came in from the Hollywood Reporter, and there was much rejoicing amongst the fan-base, as we knew our favorite channel would be back for yet another year :)

Unbeknownst to us, a second year of Geek and Sundry wouldn’t just be business-as-usual for Felicia.  After the first year, and after facing the pressures of building a team, and being affected by a huge workload, and adapting to the new business model, our lovely leader admits that it caused her to do some reflection and soul-searching.  Being the thoughtful, introspective person that she is, she wanted to speak from the heart about why G&S is important and how she views the nature of geekdom.

Given the above, she ended up filming a heartfelt G&S mission-statement video via the State of the Sundry.  Though she was nervous to post it, the response was very warm, positive, and reflective.

(Direct link to video)

So with a renewed ethos, we marched bravely into the uncharted waters of Year 2.  The captain of our ship provided a charming and honest launch week hangout in the following video, answering a bunch of fan-questions with her trademark wit and charm...

(Direct link to video)

Moving forward, a question on everyone’s mind was how things would be different in Year 2.  What would be the schedule?  What new content was coming our way?  Felicia provided some hints during an interview at Wondercon.

As we continue onwards with our year-in-review, we’ll look back on the ever-changing landscape of G&S as the second season evolved.  But before that, the always thoughtful and articulate @AlanAlmeria will be up next, providing a look at one of the ambitious, community-building initiatives that Geek and Sundry kicked off in 2013…
    edited December 2013 PM

7th of December

With the Sundry officially renewed the thoughts of geeks everywhere turned to Season 2. But before the sequel could start its turn, year one still had its final card to play.

Hyperlink for those with mobile devices.

Within moments of the initial announcement gamer fever gripped the internet, and blogs, vlogs, and tweets dedicated to International Tabletop Day soon littered the web. Many geek luminaries and websites quickly produced videos or articles in support, including Wil Wheaton (obvious'd) and Geek & Sundry's own Space Janitors.

By the time International Tabletop Day finally arrived, more than 2200 stores, in over 55 countries, spread across 7 continents had signed up. From the cold frigid wastes of the Antarctic, to the barren expanse of the Australian outback, to the sun drenched pyramids of Egypt and the multi tiered coliseums of Rome. Not forgetting the wind shrouded streets of Chicago, and the tinsel filled penthouses of LA. Gamers everywhere would gather and game.

Of course, Geek & Sundry had their own celebrations planned for the event, in the form of an 8 hour live stream hosted by the adorable Amy Dallen. (Who would go on to greater G&S fame in the months to come.) With Felicia co-hosting the first four hours and Wil the second, the show would intermix live video hookups to participating stores with the playing of games. Many fan favorites from season one returned to play alongside several faces who would subsequently appear in season 2. 

The entire event was recorded and remains archived on the G&S channel.

Hyperlink for those with mobile devices.

The massive success of International Tabletop Day, was a fitting end to the first glory filled year of Geek & Sundry, and with luck International Tabletop Day II will be the same for season two.

Love The Guild and/or Choose Your Own Adventure Novels? Then make sure to check out The Trials of Codex.

edited December 2013 PM

8th of December

As the gentle waves of season two finally lapped up against the sandy shores of G&S, we were blissfully unaware of the storm of discontentment that was brewing beyond the peaceful horizon.

There were three new shows among the initial offerings that kicked off season two.

Felicia's Ark was intended to ease the loss of the Flog by provided us with a different dose of Day to start the week. In light of an impending apocalypse, Felicia would offer up a themed selection of video-game animals relying on the votes of the audience as to who would be saved. One of the stated key aims for Geek and Sundry season two was to increase the amount of interaction between audience and channel, and Felicia's Ark was an early attempt at achieving that goal. The show was as funny and engaging as everything that features Felicia, but it was to end up overshadowed by the popularity of the series that would eventually come to replace it. 

A full playlist for the show can be found here, and whilst I was highly tempted to include the gag reel as an exemplar, for who among us doesn't love seeing Felicia pelted by small squishable objects, I eventually elected for the cat episode instead. Miaow.

Hyperlink for anyone using a mobile device.

The short lived Player Ones was an attempt to display the funnier side of video games through a series of comedic sketches. With only four episodes aired it was tough for the show to gain a dedicated audience, but there are still many subscribers who recall it with fond memories. 

The show's full playlist can be found here. My favorite episode not only includes the perfect summation of the side-quest obsession that dominates every modern RPG & MMO, but also the welcome return of the Guild's Robin Thorsen to Geek & Sundry.

Hyperlink for anyone on a mobile device.

The final new show among the initial offerings was Fetch Quest. Fetch Quest combined a satirical summation of the current state of gaming with a series of ridiculously catchy music videos. The show was fully animated, a fairly impressive achievement on the limited budget of a web-channel, and was able to exceed the 100k view count on several occasions. Many of the songs are tremendously entertaining, and re-watching the playlist for this article has left them horribly embedded in my brain once more.

A full playlist for the show can be found here, and my favorite episode would have to be number 4. Not only is the song particularly catchy, but it also pokes fun at the perceived hardcore/casual gamer divide. A topic that had raised its gnarled head more than once in the Geek and Sundrysphere to date.

Hyperlink for anyone on a mobile device.

As astute readers will have no doubt noticed, all three of the new shows had a decidedly gamer based flavor, and when combined with the lose of such fan favorites as the Guild and the Flog. This sparked a growing number of complaints among YouTube commenters over the direction that G&S was headed for season 2. Some of this unease even managed to spilled over into the forums, where our very own @TorontoGal proceeded to perfectly sum matters up in her own inimitable manner :-).

Acting with a swiftness denied to traditional "old school media", G&S quickly acknowledged the issue, and Felicia even went so far as to personally admit the oops, when she took time out of her insanely busy schedule to fill the community in on some of the thought processes behind season 2.

Also included in that message was the first tantalizing hint that something huge was coming to the Sundry. But that topic remains to be discussed in a much later positing, and instead I'll be back tomorrow to talk about the eagerly awaited return of Tabletop.

edited December 2013 PM

9th of December

If the Guild was the bedrock upon which Geek and Sundry was founded, Tabletop soon became its breakthrough star. When the idea of a half hour show based upon Tabletop games was floated by Felicia and Wil, the general response was less than enthusiastic, and many of the suits and executives predicted that the show would fail.

One year later, and Tabletop was not only heading into its second season, it had just finished celebrating the insanely successful International Tabletop Day. The formula of entertaining games, fascinating guest interactions, and Wil's inevitable weekly defeat had combined to create a revelation. Research carried out by independent game retailers showed a marked rise in the sale of games featured upon the show, and within the industry this phenomenon was quickly dubbed "the Wheaton effect". 

It was therefore not a surprise to find that spirits were high for season 2, and the moment Geek and Sundry's renewal was confirmed, Wil was quick to promote its arrival on his consistently entertaining blog.  The show effortlessly continued from where it left off, and soon we were all privy to more moments of Wheatonian defeat.

The full playlist for both seasons can be found here. Even limiting myself to the first half of season 2, choosing a single show to spotlight is a really difficult task. We have had popular games such as Lords of Waterdeep and Forbidden Island, and shows based around both Star Trek and Star Wars. But after careful consideration there is only one choice: The Resistance. Not only for the presence of Felicia, but for being one of the most agonizing defeats Wil has suffered so far :-).

Hyperlink for anyone using a mobile device.

Another show that many fans were anticipating for season 2 was Arcade Arms. A one shot preview episode had aired during the waning days of season 1 and whilst it drew a mixed response from the community in terms of content. Nearly everyone was impressed by the high production standards, and intrigued by the possibility of a documentary type show joining the line up.

For now it remains but a one hit wonder, though for Geek and Sundry completists it remains a key part of the channels legacy, and who knows maybe someday we will see more blacksmithing action.

Hyperlink for anyone using a mobile device.

If Arcade Arms remained but a one night stand, there were two more shows, one old, one new, that were destined to capture the hearts of viewers in the early days of year two. To the relief of everyone involved in this project, @Daniel_Wallace will be back tomorrow to tell you all about them.

• Hope you don't mind if I interject a piece of my own here:
    Glad you selected the Tabletop Resistance episode @alanalmeria for not only is it my favourite, its also how I became aware of G&S, thanks to the YT suggestion list. Before then, I am sorry to say, I was G&S ignorant which is weird considering the time I have spent during these last 6 mths catching up. I must have watched at least half a dozen Tabletop episodes that first night. Obviously I was hooked immediately and spread the word around the office the next day.
    Keep up the good work. Go you mods.  :-)