USERS REGISTERED AFTER Nov. 9th 2013, WE NEED YOUR FEEDBACK

Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
edited November 2013 in Geek & Sundry Discussion
We put up a new sign in question. Please don't mention the question or the answer here, but tell us how difficult it was for you to answer.

Thank you for your support and have an amazing time on the forums!
If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

G+: https://plus.google.com/+DanielWallace/
twitter: @evildanwallace

Comments

• Simples!
  • Easy peasy!
  • Didn't know the answer on the top of my head, so took 20s to discover.
  • Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
    edited November 2013 PM
    Just a little background info: The question is mainly intended to deter spam bots that are supported by cheap labor. Or, more specifically, to deter the cheap laborers... in the 20s it might take, they can answer a lot of "two + three?" type questions that will earn them more. I also assumed that many of them will not speak very good English, ergo the rather crude choice of words. :-)

It seems to work pretty okay until now.

Our only fear was, that it might indeed also deter legitimate users, but the numbers don't look like that's the case so far. Thanks for posting here so far, everybody!
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

• It works well, doesnt bother me at all.

• worked fine
  • Took me a beat to parse the question but no real problem. By the by, Project Honey Pot might be an additional handy thing to use for deterring comment Spam.
  • Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
    Thanks @ChrissofComicsSquee. We have tried a whole lot of different plug ins and modules to fight spam and none of them has really helped so far without having some major downsides. We're constantly looking for alternatives, so suggestions are always welcome.

Also thank you very much for everybody who took the time to let us know. Welcome to the forums, I hope you all have fun here.

I know nobody asked for this wall of text, but I somehow wrote it and now it goes out. Please don't feel in any way obligated to read it. :-)

The reason why spam is such an important issue for us, is that the forums were hit by a massive spam wave that could have destroyed it if we would not have been lucky.

There really is an arms race going on and at the moment the spammers, or at least those that are hitting these forums, seem to be on top of all the big and well known technical and methodical solutions that are out there.

Funny enough, the only thing that seems to have worked pretty much flawless is this silly new sign in question. We had a very simple one before and it didn't really help. Our guess is, that it was solved by cheap labor, as I wrote about before.

What I mean by "flawless" is, that we have found only one new (partly automated) spammer account that was able to sign in since changing the question. We have found the loophole that was used there and are monitoring it closely to take measures in case it gets exploited again.

There were very few instances of human made spam in the form of, afair, three or four cases of plugs for crowfunding campaigns that didn't have anything to do with that these forums. They have been removed very quickly.

In terms of false positives - that is people not being able to sign in due to the question - it is rather difficult to examine how many there have been. Hence this thread. I know that I'm only getting voices of people who have "mastered" the question here, but so far nobody has said something like "I had to guess" or "it took me a ton of time to figure that out" which is what I would have expected if the question was indeed having an unwanted effect.