Supporting Geek and Sundry?

OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
edited August 2012 in Geek & Sundry Discussion
This thread got me to thinking and asking myself the same questions about all my favorite shows on G&S. Just how can we support our favorite shows. I'm not sure how YouTube works on the payout end. I know its based on views and works out to about $3/1000 views. How do subscriptions help? Do we need to hit the like button on every video?

I'm used to the idea of clicking an ad on a site to give a little support to the site I'm enjoying for "free", but I'm not familiar enough with YT's system and want to maximize my effort.
"but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines

Comments

• TriencoTrienco Member, Moderator
    Good point. How much weight is YT putting on likes and comments?

If everything fails, I wouldn't mind a more direct approach to financing new seasons, because G&S definitely has to stay.
  • I'm subscribed, and I like things, although I don't really comment...  I don't know if this would work, but I would totally back the shit out of a Geek and Sundry second season/stay-on-youtube kickstarter. 

Well, at least as much as I could, anyway. /artist
    Blog: http://kieryking.com/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/kiery28
    KieryGeek: http://youtube.com/kierygeek

{excuse me while I leave gifs everywhere....}
  • Neither do i know how the youtube thing works, all that i can do at this very moment i'm already doing: subcribing, watching and liking. If there is more to be done, i won't mind doing so if i can.
  • I think that if they needed us to do more than subscribe they would've told us [by They I mean Felicia :P
    I think sharing is the biggest help because it gets them exposed to new crowds, more likes and more subscribers. 
    I also don't think they are financed pair video views [3$/1000 views] because they were paid upfront from what I understand, based on Felicia's pitch and the shows they've enabled her to produce. 
    I mean they are at the point of hiring people all year round, it can't be per view - can it? 
  • omgchompomgchomp Member, Moderator
    Pretty much what @ayelet said.
    They are sponsored by youtube but only to a certain extent- ads also help them make money which currently is not a ton.
    Subscribing/liking/favoring/commenting helps because all that stuff posts to your youtube page (and your social networks if you have them connected) which other people see when they visit your page, and potentially that person will be interested enough to check out the videos.  Also just telling your friends to watch!
    If you want to buy stuff, they do get a cut of cafepress/jinx merch sales, and possibly from the G&S labeled games at target.com, though we're not 100% sure on that.

http://geekandsundry.com/vlogger/alyssa-onofreo

-Alyssa
    twitter.com/omgchomp
    youtube.com/omgchomp
    supcake.tumblr.com
  • Sharing/blogging/tumblring/animated .gif making all really help! 

Thanks for all you guys are doing, loyal fans are super appreciated.
    "All your problems today have been solved by Tabz, a computer, and God."
  • torontogaltorontogal Member, Moderator
    edited September 2012 PM
    Hey gang - this is a great thread topic - supporting the future of G&S is something I think we're all keenly interested in :)  Many thanks to @omgchomp and @tabz for the insider information!

I'm going to drill a step deeper to see if I've pieced together some of the nuts and bolts of the YouTube/Google deal that G&S is part of - this is mainly based on a few articles that I've read.  That said, I certainly don't have the inside scoop, so please feel free to correct any of my assumptions.

From what I've read, it sounds like the YouTube deal is structured similarly to the way a music label provides advance funding on a musician's album.  Let's say there's some talented young artist out there who wants to put out an album, but they don't have the funds to get sound technicians, and equipment, and a studio, and distribution etc.  So for the sake of getting their content out there, a music label signs them up, and gives them an 'advance' - i.e., an amount of money loaned to them for the sake of creating the record.  This 'advance' funding is given to the artist by the studio with the expectation that when the record sells, the studio will get their money back based on revenue generated from the album sales.

Whilst not exactly the same, the Geek and Sundry deal that was part of the YouTube Premium channels initiative sounds quite similar.  Read below, for details:
    Early in 2011, Kyncl began meeting content creators in a variety of
    media—film, TV, music, print—whiteboarding the future of television, and
    inviting them to participate in it by creating new YouTube channels. He
    offered several million dollars in funding, in the form of advances
    against future ad revenues, to be used as development money. Once the
    advances are earned back, YouTube will share ad revenues with the
    creators. YouTube will have an exclusive right to the content for a
    year, but the creators will retain ownership. YouTube will be
    responsible for selling ads but will not invest in promoting or
    marketing the channels in the way that traditional television channels
    do. (There will be no lavish premiere parties, and no billboards in
    Times Square.)

(Source)
    Based on that, here's how I'd interpret things regarding the G&S deal:

• Felicia and Kim put together their pitch for Geek and Sundry - despite the fact that there were 500 pitches, they were amongst the final 100 that were actually chosen (which is a testament to their passion and creativity).  This earned them a one-year deal where they got advance funding to create content under the Geek and Sundry banner.
    • So this meant they had funds and budget to hire staff, and writers, and actors, etc, to create all the lovely videos we've seen thus far.  That said, I think that in relative terms they still don't have what would be considered a large budget.  Keep in mind that in the mainstream media, popular sitcoms get a one-million dollar budget to create a single episode.  So I suspect the funding that G&S got to create a year's worth of YouTube Channel content is comparatively small compared to the mainstream machine.  And in my opinion, they've done amazing things with the money they have.
    • However, Google/YouTube still hopes/expects to get back the money they passed along to G&S.  How?  Through the revenue that is earned from the advertisements.  G&S creates videos.  Advertisers pay for ad-space on those videos.  That money is passed back to Google/YouTube.
    • If G&S ad revenue were to pay back all the money that Google/YouTube originally provided, then G&S and Google/YouTube would start sharing in the subsequent profits.  Based on this article, if the advance can be paid off, G&S would then get to keep 55% of the subsequent ad revenue.
    So why are Likes, and Views, and Subscriptions, and Comments important?  Again, this is just an assumption I'm making.  But in general, an advertiser will pay you more if they know your audience base is large and enthusiastic.  No advertiser wants to bother paying for ad space on a video that only gets a few dozen hits and has a small handful of subscribers.  But if a YouTube channel has hundreds of thousands of subscribers, and millions of views, and if the 'Likes' are always high, and if the video is commented on a lot, then an advertiser will know that the channel has a large, loyal, built-in audience.  And thus I'd imagine they'd be willing to pay more to advertise on that channel to reach that same audience.

So as @Ayelet and @Tabz and @omgchomp said, I think the best thing we can do for G&S is spread the word as much as we can - be positive, be passionate, and get people to watch and subscribe!

The tricky thing is that from what I understand, the Google/YouTube funding is a one-year deal.  Once the year is up, they'll take a look at where things stand, and decide whether to provide funding for a second year of Geek and Sundry.  So the more views, and the more subscribers, and the more enthusiasm that can be generated before that deadline will help secure the future for this channel that we love :)

I'll say one last time that the above interpretation is my best approximation based on a bunch of articles I've read.  But if I'm misinterpreting the business model, feel free to let me know!

• That is a really interesting post @torontogal, that makes sense to me.

I would be devastated if G&S didn't get a second year, so hopefully they are doing well enough to fund it!
    Follow me online (I will follow back!)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Cadaboo
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Cadaboo
    edited September 2012 PM
    Thanks @cadaboo! :)

I'm glad my post made some degree of sense.  As a fan-base, I think that the better we understand the Google/YouTube deal, the more we can do to help achieve a second year of funding.  These forums, for example, are a great thing as a sense of community and enthusiasm is such an important aspect.  When that exists, our fan-base has a sense of ownership in G&S and will do what they can to advocate, and help spread the word, and share the love!

To add to my post above, here's a video from the Geek and Sundry offsite event, where a fan (Steven) asked Felicia about second seasons of G&S shows, and she touches upon the YouTube deal and the need to be renewed during Year 2.
  • Oh neat, I hadn't seen that video before. I could watch Felicia talk for hours, lol.

Yeah, I agree it is important that G&S has an audience with a sense of community who can help spread the word, I have been telling anybody who will listen to watch G&S shows, and a few friends of mine have started watching, though it would be nice to get them more involved in the community.

The more interactive the community, the more G&S can steer it's content towards those people.

And on a totally selfish note, it is just great to meet other geeky people on the net, lol.
    @torontogal all of that sounds right to me but I don't know anything for sure except that you are definitely right about the 1 year trial.  I'm sure it'll be announced when then know about year 2 but I'll keep you updated.

-Alyssa
    twitter.com/omgchomp
    youtube.com/omgchomp
    supcake.tumblr.com
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    edited September 2012 PM
    I've started sharing postings from the G&S Facebook page. Maybe some of my extended friends network will pick it up or at least generate a few random extra views.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
    @oakspoor yes thank you!

-Alyssa
    twitter.com/omgchomp
    youtube.com/omgchomp
    supcake.tumblr.com
  • Yes! Thanks! Another thing is to like the posts on Facebook (if you like them!). The more likes/shares it gets, the more often people will see them in their stream (it's a weird mojo thing Facebook has going on). And that means when there is an episode more folks will see it and hopefully watch it.

Even going back and watching old shows you haven't seen yet helps out. I was late to the Sword & Laser party and I've been enjoying watching and then listening to the interview as I go about work (I keep it in a tab on it's own). Same thing with the Hangouts, I know they're long to just sit and watch but I find them easy to just listen to!
  • I will have to remember to start liking all the Facebook posts then! :D
  • This is a really informative site! @Torontogal thanks for the info! I really had no idea how this all worked. I brag about how awesome G&S is all the time! I guess it's time to really start sharing the love on line too! ;) 
    edited September 2012 PM
    Thanks so much for the replies, gang!  Having this set of tips on how to help out Geek and Sundry is a great thing to have, so the advice and contributions from the board-members up above is really cool!

For those who may not have seen it, within this link to a Dragon*Con press conference, Felicia once again highlights the fact that a decision regarding a second year of Geek and Sundry will be made from a YouTube/Google perspective - it sounds like she'll find out later this year.

I think that The Guild Season 6 is going to be a great source of views and potential new subscribers, so I'm really glad that it's coming up so soon! :)

<Edited to note that the video I linked to in this post looks to have been removed by the uploader - but Felicia basically said that before the end of the year she'll hear back from YouTube, and she's hoping that at that point the Views and Subscribers will enough to convince them to invest in a second year of G&S funding>
    edited September 2012 PM
    Jumping back into this thread to add that Felicia herself just put up the following blog-post asking us to please subscribe and support G&S for the sake of helping with a second year of content.

She's also looking for our ideas on what creative avenue she should tackle next, so it might be a good opportunity to leave her some feedback :)
  • If you want to help please share the info about the Guild Season 6! 

• Told all my peeps about G&S, logged back into my Youtube for the first time in years, and shall link to all my gaming friends in facebook in a moment.

I know how hard it is to crowdsource a creative project as I'm putting together a recreational events company with some friends, but I had assumed that with the sort of content G&S are producing, they would already have it in the bag.