INSPECTING THE SPECTRE!

ohcatrinaohcatrina Member
edited October 2013 in Kiri Callaghan

I LOVE HALLOWEEN and I am so glad our vloggers do too. Last week, we learned why people love being afraid -- but this week, Kiri takes a deeper look at spirits, spectres, and ghosts! Why are we obsessed with reaching the realm beyond ours? 

Do you guys know any ghosts? I swear, there has to be one in my apartment. ALL OF MY DELICIOUS FOOD KEEPS DISAPPEARING. 

Comments

• MarchbanksMarchbanks Member
    edited October 2013 PM

I was always ready to meet a ghost.  I hung out in the
    sort of places where anyone might naturally expect to find
    them—graveyards—but however much I prepared, the ghosts always seemed to
    have something else to do when I was around.  Perhaps they were
    handicapped by my habit of working during daylight hours, when visible
    ectoplasm is the hardest to assemble.

The search went on during my senior year of high school,
    as I worked on completing a cemetery census of my home county, a
    project that my mother had started eight years before but put aside as
    family demands on her time increased.  I decided to try to complete the
    field work in the eight months before I left for college.  The skills I
    needed were a clear voice for dictation and an ability to decipher
    half-obliterated inscriptions on the stones in overgrown, abandoned
    cemeteries.  With those and a small open-reel tape recorder, in the days
    before cassettes were common, I started out.

I drove twelve thousand miles in eight months, bumping
    over miles of secondary or dirt roads in a banged-up half-ton ’62 Jimmy
    pickup, visiting almost eighty places in the county where we had
    evidence of burials.  Some of them were well-tended community
    cemeteries, some were abandoned family plots, a couple were single
    graves in the middle of a pasture, and one was lost altogether—it just
    wasn’t where it was supposed to be, any more.  Each one had its own
    personality:  some open and welcoming, some wary, a few actually
    hostile.  In none of those places, though, did I ever manage to find
    even a suggestion of a ghost.

The place for which I had the most hopes was the town
    cemetery in the county seat.  When I was there, I always felt that I was
    among friends, ones who had died long before I came.  My mother’s
    interest in local history had taught me something about many of the
    people buried there, and I believed that perhaps that knowledge might
    generate a kind of sympathetic vibration that could help a spirit to
    materialize.

I completed the field work the month before I moved
    away, and I had to admit I failed to meet a ghost during all that time. 
    But I still go out into a graveyard in the evening sometimes, when I
    get the chance, because I never know but that this might be the time . . . .

• Me personally, I live about an hour away from a place called "voodoo village". All my life I was enthralled at the idea of going there; though they never allow outsiders to come and visit, even resulting in violence in some accounts. It truly is a spooky place full of ghost stories.
    Living in the middle of nowhere, with plenty of old shacks and abandon houses, it has had an effect on me as far as ghost go. Even when I lived in downtown Memphis there were ghost stories. Everything from Graceland, to the old daisy theater. The south is full of spooky stuff.
  • No idea if anyone still looking at this thread but I just remembered something ghost related that might be interesting. In some areas of the United States of America if you are trying to sell a house that is believed to be haunted, you are required by law to inform penitential buyers that the house is haunted. If you fail to inform the newer owners that the house is haunted before they purchased it, then new owners may have justified grounds to sue you.

I actually looked up and located the article where I first learned about this. The article mentions such a lawsuit known as Stambovsky v. Ackley. Here is a link to the article.
  • Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
    Oh wow... so much stupidity in the world. :-D
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

G+: https://plus.google.com/+DanielWallace/
    twitter: @evildanwallace
  • BingoBardBingoBard Member
    edited November 2013 PM
    @Daniel_Wallace Believe in ghost, or don’t believe in ghost I can believe there might be some context were such a law would make sense regardless. I do not know all the details of the case, so I do not what was or not said in lawsuit when it was filled. But the article mentioned that the haunted house eventually became part of a haunted house tour stop. So tourists would come and walk around the front yard to take pictures of the haunted house. If there is a chances that random tourist might show up in my yard to take pictures of my house, I would like to know that detail before I buy it.

I’m not a lawyer or law expert so my ability to understand legal stuff is limited. But based on what I understand (and if someone wants to correct me feel free to do so) the house buyers and plaintiffs in the case I mention above (the Stambovsky family) eventually won their lawsuit based on the fact that since everyone in the city believed the house was haunted. As a result of this the actual value of the house is decreased because of the haunting. The Stambovsky family was from out of town, had no idea about the haunted house statuses, and thus unknowingly ended paying more than what the property was actually worth. At least that is how understood the details. Thus part of the court believed that the seller (Ackley) should have provided some information about the haunting status. Again to the best of my understanding anyway.
  • Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
    @BingoBard: Well, a law that binds sellers to inform the buyers about known, extraordinary circumstances that are likely to influence the value of the property or the comfort of those living there would make sense. This simply sounds like a law born out of superstition and fostering it at the same time.

The thing that really angers me about the unquestioning belief in ghosts, is that investigating ghosts as a source of strange happening draws away attention from much more likely and much more dangerous possibilities - like CO leaks and poisoning, for example...

Believing usually starts where knowing ends. That's fine. What's not fine, is when the investigating stops where the believing begins - but that's usually what happens. And that's what I meant with "stupidity".
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

G+: https://plus.google.com/+DanielWallace/
    twitter: @evildanwallace
  • The Thunder Stealer ;)