Top 9 Fight Scenes!

ohcatrinaohcatrina Member
edited October 2013 in Geek & Sundry Discussion
Check out our new blog here: http://www.geekandsundry.com/view/the-9-sci-fi-fight-scenes-that-changed-fight-scenes/

Do you agree with this list? Are there any fight scenes you would recommend? Post with videos! I love videos!

Comments

• Fiendish_ImpFiendish_Imp Member, Moderator
    edited October 2013 PM
    How can you have a top 9 genre fight scenes and not include these gems.

The swordfight between the Man in Black and Inigo Montoya. Not only is it a good
    fight, but the dialogue brings it to a whole other level. Choreographed by the great Bob Anderson, who past away last year, whose credits also include Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and the next scene on my list.

The final showdown between the Connor MacLeod and The Kurgan. Another swordfight by Bob Anderson. A brilliant fight scene from one of my all-time favorite films (could be the Queen soundtrack, could be the sheer awesomeness). There can be only one!!

And not to forget one of my favorite fight scenes of all-time!!

Yup, it's the fight from They Live! between "Rowdy" Roddy Piper and Keith  David. This is one knockdown drag-out fight that just keeps going, and it's only to put on a pair of sunglasses. This is another great film, and includes the often imitated line "I have come here to chew bubble and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum." The fight is so epic that it was parodied in the South Park episode "Cripple Fight".

Viva la Retrolution!

http://twitter.com/TheFiendishImp
    Steam ID: fiendish imp
  • I'll second the sword fight in the Princess Bride.

And I'd also add the fight between Indiana Jones and the swordsman in The Raiders of the Lost Arc. No, it wasn't a long fight - but it was memorable.
  • The brilliant thing about The Princess Bride one is that the actors (Mandy Patinkin and Cary Elwes) did ALL THE SWORD FIGHTING - the only part they didn't do was the flips - those were stuntmen.

The two actors rehearsed the sword fight scene for months beforehand.

Oh and Stephen Briggs (the man who's done many Discworld spinoffs, including plays, diaries, companion, maps etc) now owns one of the practice swords used on that film, it was given to him by one of the fight coordinators.
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • I feel like Serenity ought to get at least a look in (if nothing else, it's a geek website so "Where's Firefly?" is all but mandatory.

• Given that these are supposed to be sci-fi scenes, I'm not sure the Princess Bride fits, much as I love it. Serenity, on the other, probably should've got a look-in (and I'm not sure Jason and the Argonauts or Sherlock Holmes count as sci-fi either). 

Glad to see Ray Park getting a mention, as well as some love for Equilibrium and Children of Men (which I saw in the cinema, and a couple of times since)

And if we're talking about pure fighting skill that redefined things, for me Ong-Bak has to get a look-in for it's use of "real" martial artists, and unbelievable stunt work/fights. 
  • alanalmeriaalanalmeria Member, Moderator
    edited October 2013 PM

How can you post a list of the greatest Sci-Fi fight scenes and not include the greatest light saber duel of all time?

Felicia Day and Jace Hall.

Love The Guild and/or Choose Your Own Adventure Novels? Then make sure to check out The Trials of Codex.

• @alanalmeria WOW YES PERFECTION! 

/coherent reply
  • I love that you have Jason and the Argonauts in here! What a great childhood memory!

Twitter: @themightyjerd
    Fitness YouTube Channel: TheJerd.com's Channel
    Personal YouTube Channel: My Channel
    Podcast: The Comic Corner Podcast
  • AlvhinAlvhin Member
    edited October 2013 PM
    It's not sci-fi but still.

• OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    I have to go with this one;

"but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • We do NOT think of Holmes as a cocaine-sniffing dandy. We think of him as a cocaine-SHOOTING (the famed seven-per-cent solution) ascetic.
  • I'm with ya @mrben.  Anything Tony Jaa.  The man is incredible

For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: Know more about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
  • Good point, @jbsegal.
  • Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
    edited October 2013 PM
    I really love the realistic fight scenes. Quick, dirty, fast.

Like this classic from "Out of sight".

Or the "keine Papiere" scene with the cops in the park from "The Bourne Identity":

Therefore, out of the nine in the vlog that Sherlock scene is my favorite. I actually make a plan like he does before I fight someone... I don't have the super slow motion and the off voice, though. ;-)

EDIT: BTW, the unrealistic part in the first scene is, that these telescope batons usually resist being closed when they were used. Often times they even bent and can never be pushed in again...
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

G+: https://plus.google.com/+DanielWallace/
    twitter: @evildanwallace
  • Overall the list is pretty good, but I personally would have chosen the fight between Vader and Luke in Empire over the Episode 1 Darth Maul fight. There was much more depth in the fight and the "Luke, I am your father." line!

• AfricanusAfricanus Member
    edited November 2013 PM
    I'd like to add one more. Its not a classic but I feel it deserves an honorable mention, not so much for the fight but the surroundings. Its also good for a laugh.

• I may now have to finally watch this movie.  Flash Gordon vs. 007 on the tilt-a-whirl of doom?  So much win.

Thank you @Africanus

For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: Know more about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
  • Fiendish_ImpFiendish_Imp Member, Moderator
    Good call @africanus
    Viva la Retrolution!

http://twitter.com/TheFiendishImp
    Steam ID: fiendish imp
  • @gigglz187  Don't thank me yet. Wait until you watch the movie first, however, you might want to have a few drinks beforehand .........actually who am I kidding, make that get smozzled! 
    Basically this movie is best watched when the room is spinning!
  • Scotch + Guinness + Flash Gordon = my Saturday night now.