Geek & Sundry Logo Part 2 (Felicia please post finished pictures here)

gigglz187gigglz187 Member
edited October 2013 in Geek & Sundry Discussion
Here is the update to the logo help I asked for earlier.  Thanks to @Zuffy and @Oakspoor for the help.  

This is the water jet I used to cut out the logo.  I work on a military base so unfortunately I can't take pictures of the machine or the cutting process.

This is the smaller of the logos.  Rough cut of 1/8" stainless steel.  Measures 6 x 6 inches.  You can still see the description markings on the bottom left.

This is the larger of the logos.  Rough cut of 3/4" aluminium.  Measures 10 x 10 inches.  You can still see the pink lettering describing the metal across the center.

Large logo after first round of sandblasting

EEK!!!

Second round of sandblasting.  Doing this allows the metal to soak up the paint up better.

After primer.

Smaller logo after sandblast with primed larger one.

So I forgot to take pictures of the final products.  Felicia kindly said she would post them here (thank you).  I had a hard time finding a fluorescent green spray paint that would stick to metal for the larger one so it is a little darker green.  The smaller one is a nice orange.    I would have like to really painted it by hand but I couldn't get time on the water jet till a couple days before NYCC.

I hold true to the idea that if someone touches your heart in a way where they make an impact in your life for the better you should express that gratitude to them.  That is what these logos are.  I was so nervous when I met you at NYCC on Saturday that I bolted without giving a proper thank you.  That is why I waited on line again so I could try and express that sentiment.  I would have kicked myself if I didn't.  I was still too nervous so here is what should have been said.  I can be an emotional wreck writing this behind a keyboard and not embarrass myself.  

Felicia, I can't say thank you enough for all that you do.  You truly are the embodiment of the word captivating.  Be it your shows, interviews you've done, podcasts you've been on, or collaborations you've done with others, you can't help but be drawn in and listen to everything you say and do.  You are an inspiration to me as I am sure you are to others.  You have inspired to do everything I can to be a better person and do more with my life.  I started going to the gym and have lost 50 pounds since May.  I have been trying to find a creative medium for awhile now and I think I may have stumbled upon something with these logos.  It was your DIY attitude I heard you talk about on Kevin Smith's podcast that inspired me to teach myself how to use the water jet to make these gifts.  I spent my breaks and lunches learning the programming and operations.  As a result, my higher ups took notice of my initiative to learn on my own, saw the logos, and were so impressed that I am getting a promotion!  I will be running my own water jet and CNC router all because of you.

It has been a real rough year but things are starting to look up.  No matter how crappy things get, be it my diagnosis of Grave's disease to life just kicking me in the teeth, I always have Geek and Sundry to make things better.  I can always watch a Guild marathon or The Flog and I will be laughing and giggling in no time.  I have embraced my inner geek and have re-discovered myself because of it.  Working 68 hours a week plus night school leaves me very little time in my day to day and not having anyone to geek out with blows, but I can always throw on an episode of Table Top and kind of get to have those experiences.  Geek and Sundry really is something special and very special to me.

So I hope those gifts and this brief letter can express how grateful I am for all that you do.  Maybe someone else can take something away from this or others can chime in with their inspirations.  Big THANK YOU to the all the people who work behind the scenes at Geek and Sundry to make all this happen.  Without all your hard work and dedication the content wouldn't be as awesome as it is.  

Thank you so very much Felicia Day from the bottom of my heart.  It was an absolute pleasure meeting you.  Please don't ever stop.  The world is a better place because you are in it.

Rick
For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: Know more about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Comments

• Don_DiegoDon_Diego Member, Moderator
    That was absolutely lovely. Felicia has touched all of us in different ways, so it's awesome to hear stories from fellow Felicia Daynuts (I made this term up). I am sorry to hear about your difficulties but love the fact that it hasn't beaten you. That is inspirational. Thank you.
    "Go forth and screw up!" -New Vlogger Army

Youtube: youtube.com/ClassyDonDiego
    Twitter: twitter.com/Classy_Don

• OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    edited October 2013 PM
    Very impressive @gigglz187 !!

You may want to check out this thread for more @FeliciaDay feels. Sorta makes the world less lonely.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • Wow, that's an awesome project, @gigglz187 - it would be great when @feliciaday shows us the final product :D
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • Thank you so much everybody for all the kind words.  I forgot to say thank you to @Billy_of_Orange @Farlander and @Oakspoor again for the help in a previous thread with expressing my heartfelt eloquence.  What a great community.  You guys are the best.

@Zuffy - It took a hot minute to figure out how to connect everything and still keep it aesthetically pleasing.  I particularly like the sundry connects.  Has an old school 50's diner feel to it.  In retrospect I should have made the bottom half of the oval a little bigger to fit the "EST. 2012" in there.  I learned so much doing this though that the next one will be even better.  Practice makes Perfect.  Thinking of maybe doing some vlogs or Table Top next.  Might even mess around with 3D and see if I can get some time on the CNC mill.
    For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: Know more about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
    I can't wait til you get your hands on a 3-d printer.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
  • @Oakspoor I wish.  I would be doing it with the mill.  Something similar to this.  Start with a raw piece of metal and slowly work it into the desired result.  I already know the basics of G Code which is the programming language of the machine.  I am teaching myself advanced AutoCAD, MasterCAM, and Solidworks.  They are what engineers and machinists use to create 2D/3D designs which can then be translated into tool paths for the machine to cut the metal.

While we do have a 3D printer on base I don't think I am cool enough yet to get some face time.  LOL
    They probably only use it to make replacement grips for M16's assuming they don't still have Mattel doing that.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!