Superheroines/female comic characters.

kryptoniankryptonian Member
edited September 2013 in Amy Dallen
Amy, you should do a show just on superheroines/female comic characters. They definitely deserve all the love.

Also, who are some of you guys' favorites?

Here are my top 5 (at the moment and in no particular order, because who could pick just 5)
  • wonder woman
  • batwoman
  • captain marvel
  • alana from saga
  • melaka fray

Comments

• Quake
    • Spider-gilr (Anya Corazon)
    • Bat-girl (Stephanie)
    • Raven
    • Artemis (i'm cheating here cause it's the characters for Yough Justice TV serie but... i really don't care that much.
  • I agree wholeheartedly with Amy doing a show on female characters.  I'd also love to see her talk more about females in the industry (writers, artists, editors, publishers, etc.).

As for my favorites (and I can't limit it to just five.  I won't!)

Kate Bishop
    Stephanie Brown
    Argent
    Stargirl
    Ravager
    Raven
    Black Alice

I always like to point out too that those 7 are my favorite comic book characters period, sans any gender qualifiers.  In my list of absolute favorite comic book characters (heroes and villains), the men don't start showing up with any frequency until I get well outside the Top 10 or 15.
  • I'd say my top 5 at the moment are:
    • Valkyrie
    • Blindfold
    • Tempus
    • Kitty Pryde
    • Magik
  • @kryptonian you must be psychic, or in some other way have access to the universal consciousness (the internet?). but you called is a day before it aired!
  • i know, right?  she even mentioned fray, batwoman and captain marvel. 
  • Don_DiegoDon_Diego Member, Moderator
    Catwoman can be a fantastic female character if written by the right person. When done wrong, she is nothing more than a stereotype or worse...
    "Go forth and screw up!" -New Vlogger Army

Youtube: youtube.com/ClassyDonDiego
    Twitter: twitter.com/Classy_Don

• @Don_Diego, I'd add that Harley Quinn is much the same way.  I kinda like the deadly, cold insanity she's displayed in several issues of the New 52 Suicide Squad (maybe even more than her typical, cartoony portrayal), but some issues--and that new costume--treat her as little more than one-dimensional eye candy, which is a shame for a character as complex as she.
  • @MooGiGon Actually what shame's me about miss Quinn is that she's going to be drawed naked and trying to kill herself, i would expect that from a fanfic or something... But DC doesn't have the luxury to transform another of their female characters in fanservice. We don't need that, we already have manga for that.
  • @Wiseman Eh.  I'm of two minds about that whole topic and the criticism that's sprung up.  On the one hand, I think it's an incredibly poor, tone deaf choice for a highly publicized tryout panel, particularly since it was released with Suicide Prevention Week right around the corner and since no one seems to have really thought through the potential implications that others could read into it (e.g. sexualized suicide).  And, DC's horrendously botched the PR for it by mostly ignoring the criticism or going on the defensive and by not releasing any context whatsoever that would try to explain the reasons for the scene.  For that, particularly the (I believe wholly unintended) subtext, I really dislike the whole thing and wish they'd alter the contest (because artist tryouts aren't bad in theory) and the final panel.

On the other hand, I've been closely following what Jimmy Palmiotti (the writer) has had to say about the panel on Twitter, including his expansion yesterday or the day before on context for the tryout panels, as well as a very intense discussion between Mark Waid, Gail Simone, and Kurt Busiek on Twitter about the issue.  As much as I think it was horribly timed and in poor taste, I'm inclined to trust the track record of those four re: making/recognizing others that make quality, inclusive, non-exploitative comics and Jimmy's insistence that the scene is dream sequence, fourth-wall breaking, Looney Tunes, absurdity with Harley taking shots directly at her writers for pulling crap like that with her, that there is no actual suicide, and that the nudity component was never intended to be even remotely sexualized, just a function of the scene taking place in a bathtub (which is still a poor decision, and I'm in agreement with those that think "the joke" would perhaps be marginally more understandable/in character if she was in full costume).

This is Palmiotti's most recent statement about the controversy, and it feels sincere to me.
    https://www.facebook.com/jimmypalmotti/posts/10151858525777767

Does that make the situation "right" or "good" or "justified"?  I still don't think so.  It was boneheaded, not thought through at all, and a mistake. Bringing context into things again, it's even more idiotic and ill-considered given the enormity of rightly deserved flak DC has gotten for the portrayal of women in and the scarcity of female creators on staff for its reboot (I'm still pissed off about Starfire).  Frankly, their entire approach to female characters and creators needs its own reboot.  But.  Given what the creators have said about what they are trying to accomplish with the scene, and how other creators (Waid, Simone, Busiek, etc.) have voiced their opinion that they have faith in how it will be handled, I disagree with the idea that it was deliberate, ill-intentioned, or in any way meant to glamorize or sexualize the terrible, heart-wrenching act of suicide or attempted suicide.
  • Back on the lighter side of things, I'm hoping they use Gail Simone's alternate panel of Nightwing in a bathtub eating gelato with Ace the Bat-hound trying to steal a bite.  The sketches others have posted to her Twitter feed have been fantastic.
  • @MooGiGon what conserts me is the way DC is representing their womens, be right, good, or justified, it's not helping the image whe have in the comics about the female genderer and that image must be improve.
  • @Wiseman I agree completely agree with that sentiment. I just put the blame for it above the heads of *most* creators.  I think it's an executive level mindset that female characters must be drawn/portrayed a certain way, that they can't sell on their own (hence no female-lead shows/movies and very few comics), that female fans aren't a big part of the audience, etc. It's a terrible mindset for them, particularly with Marvel deciding to embrace female characters not only in terms of quantity of representation, but also, and more importantly, quality (well-rounded, diverse appearances/backgrounds, etc.).  DC as a whole has a lot of work to do, but I sadly don't see it changing in the current executive environment.  The folks making decisions just have ideas/opinions firmly set in their heads and are resistant to new ideas and facts that contradict them.

The Harley contest, for example, wasn't so much Jimmy & Amanda continuing a poor, misogynist portrayal of a character as it was DC creating that image by picking a questionable panel, giving it no tone/dialogue/story context, and then ignoring the PR firestorm/standing by their guns instead of admitting they messed up.  DC as a company can't afford to make screw-ups like that because their continued dropping of the ball as it relates to female characters has cost them all credibility on the issue and the trust of the readership, at least in my eyes.
  • Hmmm... My favorite female characters?

- Kitty Pryde
    - Alana (Saga)
    - Black Canary
    - Illyana Rasputin (Magik)
    - Wonder Woman

Twitter: @themightyjerd
    Fitness YouTube Channel: TheJerd.com's Channel
    Personal YouTube Channel: My Channel
    Podcast: The Comic Corner Podcast