Mystery Box Cocktails Challenge - Pirates and Vampires

fina2006fina2006 Member
edited August 2013 in Mitch Hutts
Mitch,

I have a couple of regular ongoing Pen and Paper RPG games that I would love to have some themed drinks to serve up. I am willing to buy a couple of different bottles to add to my liquor collection, but would like to use what I already have as a foundation. So my challenge to you is to suggest cocktail recipes that feed into the theme of my games, and incorporate ingredients from my current liquor cabinet.

Liquor Cabinet Stock:
  • Orange Liquer
  • Triple Sec
  • Crown Royal (Canadian! Whiskey)
  • Tyrconnel (Irish Whiskey)
  • Bols Blue
  • Sour Puss Raspberry
  • Bacardi Breezer - Tropical Orange Smoothie Flavour (where did that come from?)
  • Peach Schnapps
  • Amaretto (Disaronno, of course)
  • Gin (Potter's London Dry)
  • Grower's - Extra Dry Apple (flavoured cider)
  • Everclear
  • Grenadine
  • Vodka

Themes:
  1. Vampires: The Masquerade. This RPG game is set in a world where Vampires exist, and The Masquerade is an elaborate set of hierarchy and rules to keep the knowledge of Vampires secret. In our game we are a group of newly changed vampires who are exploring 1970's Las Vegas to investigate the disappearance of a number of Vampires. The game is a bit cheesy with there being an Evil Kinevel style moviestar character with his hulking bodyguard (the two of them REALLY like to play up their celebrity to bring home lots of chicks), but there are some pretty creepy under currents with crazed stalker biology students and exploding nightclubs.
  2. Pirates in Pathfinder. This RPG game is very much based on the 3rd edition of Dungeons and Dragons, but in this Campaign (Skulls & Shackles) our characters are press-ganged into becoming pirates on the high seas. While infamy and booty are our major ambitions, drinking is a large part of pirate life. The game itself allows a daily ration of rum (half a pint) which is 'watered down to make grog', and also includes a description for a lovely game called "Heave" where the pirates each bet on who will outlast the rest, proceed to drink 1/2 pint of rum in one swig, and continue to take turns drinking until one is left standing. While drinking in real life like the pirates might be entertaining, I am pretty sure we would drink ourselves under the table before actually playing much of the game. I would also like some virgin drink suggestions for this theme as my daughter (who is 3) really likes to dress up as a pirate and play along.

I think this will be quite the challenge, and I wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,

Deanna

Comments

• Deanna, I have played Vampire: The Masquerade with my friends (I play a Toreador rock band frontman named Vance Hillsong, and when we put that campaign on hold, we were in 90's Chicago trying to solve the question of who would be elected the new King of the kindred), and I also studied bartending and mixology, so I think I could help you with some ideas. These are based on the Clans of the Camarilla.

Brujah - the anarchists - The first thing that comes to mind is the Irish Carbomb for some reason, but really any beer-based cocktail would work, like a Bloody Corona (Corona with grenadine), Michelada or Black and Tan.

Malkavian - the crazies - Anything with Everclear. Simple enough.

Nosferatu - the underground elite - Any sort of cocktail that has a hidden kick to it would be good, such as a Long Island Iced Tea (Vodka, Gin, Rum, Triple sec, sweet and sour mix, and a splash of coke). I speak from personal experience when I say if made right, these will sneak up on you and on your third one with no ill effects, you'll begin to wonder why the floor is moving.

Toreador - the artists - Any layered drink would work, giving the drink a look like a painter's kit. Most layerd drinks are shots, but why not try a few?

Tremere - the wizards - Because of their "Transubstantiation of Seven" ritual in their history section, I'd suggest a Diablo's Blood, which is half cold red wine and half coke.

Ventrue - the blue bloods - You could either make something with blue curacao or other blue liqueur (Like a Ginger Swing, which is 1.5 oz blue curacao and a glass of ginger ale) or you could go for something with high class undertones, like a martini (gin or vodka and vermouth) or a manhattan (Whiskey and vermouth).

Liquor Store Shopping List
    - Vermouth (sweet or dry)
    - Baileys
    - Beer
    - Red Wine

Grocery Store Shopping List:
    - Sweet and Sour Mix (non-alcoholic)
    - Coca Cola

If all else fails, look up "70's cocktails" and you'll find tons of suggestions.

PS: For your daughter, mix up a grenadine cocktail, which is grenadine, orange juice, and Pineapple juice.