What is your current goto drink?

MitchHuttsMitchHutts Member
edited August 2013 in Mitch Hutts
When at bars and I can't think of anything else to order, my goto is normally a gin and tonic. On the beer end, most places around where I live carry Sweetwater 420, a local pale ale. YUM. 

At home when I'm not testing drinks, I've been enjoying a drink my friend made called the Yoko Kanno. It's rye whiskey, sake, cointreau, and a dash of peychaud's bitters. The combination is incredible.
Critical Hit Cocktails - http://geekandsundry.com/vlogger/mitch-hutts
Creator of The Drunken Moogle - http://www.thedrunkenmoogle.com

I like taking geeky references and turning them into cocktails... yup.

Comments

• Same here, Gin and Tonic with lime. 

My beer of choice is Salmon Fly one of the good local brews. I like local brews because they tend to be more flavorful, and fresher that other choices. I abhor domestics because, for the most part, they produce for the least common denominator. Call me a beer snob if you wish, but I enjoy taste.
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    edited August 2013 PM
    Scotch and soda w/ a lime twist.

I agree with @Francis_W about beers. If there are no craft beers I just get the darkest thing on the menu. This usually ends up being Lowenbrau or what passes for Guiness these days, unless they offer Sapporo or Bohemia.

I can remember REAL, imported Irish Guiness before some crap 'Mericun corporation turned it into over-hopped night-pot slops. Brilliant my arse.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • I can't have beer because I'm allergic to the hops (I know, it's weird... I can drink Sapporo and that's it!) so I always end up ordering cocktails. I like a good whiskey ginger, or a Dirty Shirley with extra cherries. Or just a jar of maraschino cherries. I really like those cherries, man. But my favorite thing to do, especially when it's sort of a mixology place, is to just tell the bartender what I kind of want (like "I want something that's fruity or strawberry based") and they ALWAYS make an amazing drink for me! 'Cause they're a bartender, they're better at knowing these things than I am.

Yeah, also, I realize my example... very girly. Girly drinks are delicious. It's not my fault.

- Mia
    Follow us:

twitter.com/2brokegeeks
    2brokegeeks.tumblr.com
    facebook.com/2brokegeeks
    youtube.com/2brokegeeks
    @2brokegeeks, I can't wait til you guys get your own usernames just to ease my personal confusion. I have a short train of thought and it is easily derailed.

Of course 'girly drinks' ; you ARE a girl. In your hand, even the most foul home mashed red-eye is a girly drink.

I'm curious about the hops allergy. Does your allergy extend to other flowers or flower based beverages like jamaica (hyacinth tea) or chamomile?

Now I just had the idea to try jamaica and sloe gin. In a tall glass with dry ice. Wow! I love my brain!
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
  • I always joke that I'm a very bad German because I don't drink beer or coffee! Lately I've been thinking that I should really try some beers again and see if I can acquire a taste for them because:
    1. They are more readily available at casual social gatherings
    2. It's generally cheaper when you're going out for drinks
    We'll see if I'm able to or not. 

Usually my go-to is a fruity cider, especially during summer months. Currently (pregnant) I'm just sticking to margarita mix with club soda or tonic as my own made up mocktail of refreshment.
  • edited September 2013 PM
    I have been a beer guy most of my life, and I used to hate gin.  Then my boss introduced me to Hendricks Gin.  Critical hit to say the least.  But a Hendricks and tonic with a lime is still just a close 2nd.

#1 is amaretto and cola

• @2brokegeeks @Oakspoor I have known a few people that have the same problem with beer. Mostly I think they self diagnose, which isn't a bad thing. "Hey, drinking beer makes me sick... I probably shouldn't drink beer."  I do have a few theories about it though.

1) Alcohol preference is based in some small part on heritage in a type of micro evolutionary way. We see allusions to this concept in fantasy with elves/dwarves/orcs. Myself I am Irish, German, with a bit of English mixed in, and I love beer, whisky, gin, and my wine of choice is most certainly a Riesling.

2) That the human immune system is very adept at determining the source of any substance imbibed that has made them violently ill.  In some instance it is so powerful like in the case of food poisoning that a person will be unable to consume the offending item without feeling sick. Thank you body for keeping me alive, even if I can never eat meatball subs again.
    Its possible you aren't too far off the mark, @Francis_W.

I was wondering if the ingesting of flowers (hops are a flower, btw) in general was her allergy, or if it could be the added  fusel alcohols that some American beer companies add to raise the bitterness. I can't drink any Coors products without getting an instant headache from fusels.

I never have that reaction from craftbrews or true imported beers. Actual brewers take steps to prevent/reduce the formation of fusel alcohols. And there are up to 75 separate chemicals that are allowed as additives by U.S. breweries, including a few variations of formaldehyde.

Don't the Germans and Belgians still regulate beers to contain only grain malts, hops, yeast and water?

Of course your friends may share an allergy similar to my own with Southern Comfort that tends to result in my ending up in some state of public nudity.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
  • The reason I am looking at drinks that aren't beer is a simple reason for me.

I have a gluten sensitivity.  Which in english means when i drink beer, especially copious amount I bloat, and what bloats, eventually unbloats (usually as I sleep).  And while bloated I don't feel so hot.

• Usually Rum and Coke, sometimes Jinn and Tonic

When I am at home it's usually whiskey 

as for shots, Tequila, or Doudou 
  • This will make me sound like an alcoholic, I'm sure, but I don't really have a "go-to" drink because I always know what to ask for. It really depends on the mood or location or hour for me. So here is my list:

Beer: Shock Top, either Belgian White or Honeycrisp Apple
    Cider: Woodchuck Amber Draft
    Wine: Red, usually a sweet red like concord, unless I'm at the Ren Faire here in PA, then it's Honey Mead
    Cocktails:
    - Whiskey and Cola (One of the three J's usually [Jack Daniels/Jack Honey, Jim Beam, Jameson])
    - Baileys and Cream
    - White Russian or Kahlua and Cream (Fun fact, never saw Big Lebowski)
    - Grasshopper
    - Plain/Top Shelf/Mango Margarita
    - Tequila Sunrise
    - Long Island Iced Tea

I can't stand the taste of Gin, and too much vodka makes me a sad drunk.
  • My go-to has become a mint julep made with rye instead of bourbon.  (It's a Maryland-Virginia thing, in honor of my wife's grandmother who came from a rye-growing area.)
  • Scotch.  Neat.  18+ years.  I am in love with GlenMorangie, oh so smooth and doesn't break the bank.  It is a nice everyday scotch.  But my heart belongs to Islay's, mmmmmm Port Ellen.  So dark.  So smokey.  *Queue Homer Simpson drool*.  And when the occasion permits, my buddy blesses me with the GlenFiddich 40 year.  So many complex flavors my taste buds lose themselves in ecstasy.  
    For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: Know more about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
    In the subset of scotch, @Gigglz187, I'm totally loyal to Balvenie Doublewood. If you enjoy the subtle blend of flavors in Port Ellen and GlenFiddich, you will do somersaults for Balvenie. Of course if anyone talks blended, it has to be Pinch.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
  • Balvenie is terrific @Oakspoor.  I discovered them at a Scotch-fest couple years back.  Never heard of Pinch before but then again I am partial to single malts.
    For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: Know more about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
  • Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
    My goto drink depends heavily on where I am and what I do. In terms of cocktails, it's usually Mai Tai. I love Long Island Icetea but a decent Long Island is so much harder to find then a good Mai Tai... they always put in to much tequila and it ruins the whole drink. :-(

I don't really have to look for good beer since I live in Germany. :-)

If I'm having a beer in Cologne I usually drink Kölsch (the local top-fermented kind of brews of which there are dozens) or if I'm in the area somewhere outside of Cologne, I stick to Alt (the other top-fermented kind of brew of the area that is usually linked to Düsseldorf. Düsseldorf and Cologne don't really like each other, so ordering the wrong kind of beer will get you kicked out...).

In northern Germany it's usually one of the local Pilseners, like Jever (only on tap, I really can't stand that stuff out of a bottle) or Flensburger or Astra. Astra Rotlicht is a really great, rather strong beer for a long night at the bar.

Other great beers that are widely available are Köstritzer (from one of the oldest black beer breweries in Germany) and Duckstein (which is really tasty but falls somewhere in between all the categories). The latter is ridiculously expensive in bottles in the supermarket but usually okay priced on tap.

Oh, I completely forgot the Bavarian style wheat beers. :-) I like to drink one of those (usually just one of the big names...) to accompany meals and if I don't have any special preferences or if it's hot in the summer. The alcohol free variants of these wheat beers are actually surprisingly tasty, so it's a good alternative if I'm the designated driver.

I could get into wines now and I have not even started to talk about mead and absinthe and Obstbrand and special schappses and how to combine some awesome drinks to make them even more awesome... but I'll save that for later. :-D
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

G+: https://plus.google.com/+DanielWallace/
    twitter: @evildanwallace
  • Been on a quality tequila kick for awhile now, no shots or cocktails, just sippin' neat.

Maestro Dobel is a current favorite, made up of three reposado aged tequilas blended together. I've really wanted to get into quality Mezcal but the three liquor stores i've been to have yet to stock anything other than one crap no name brand with a worm in it (real mezcals don't come with a worm).

I'm not a huge fan of tequila blanco but due to low funds I tend to buy Don Eduardo blanco bcs the rep and anejo are so much more expensive.

the best aquality tequila for the money hands down is Ultima Agave repo and anejo, which run $15-20 at one of the liquor stores (18-25 at the other). Smooth at a $40 dollar repo and the anejo is as sweet and smooth as as any Brand or Cognanc I've had. In fact, I'd say most anejos i've tried have cost less or equal to Remy martin and Hennesy and taste much better and are much smoother.

Basically tequila is my brandy.

Scotch is my scotch, but i'll continue later with my favorite single malts.

I think i've just got to a point where i enjoy the differing tastes so much that no matter what the liquor is i'll be having it neat or with an ice cube or two. except gin & tonic. thats an alright cocktail an most gin i don't like neat except Hendricks
    "May thy knife chip and shatter"

Tumblr: http://flywheelshyster.tumblr.com/