Sachie's Guide to Circle Lenses!

sachiesachie Member
edited August 2013 in Sachie

Hey everyone! :D

Circle lenses is one of my most requested video topics. It seems that many people, as well as cosplayers, are interested in them because they can help to achieve that cool, big-eyed look that so many characters seem to have!

"A circle contact lens, also known as a big eye contact lens and circle lens, is a cosmetic contact lens that makes the eye's iris appear larger." - Wikipedia

I love circle lenses! I don't typically wear them in every-day life, but I wear them in most of my videos, and of course when I cosplay! They kind of make my eyes "pop". :D

First, if you're unsure about anything related to circle lenses or contacts, I suggest you consult and eye-care professional. Contacts may be cool, but at the end of the day, you're dealing with something that may affect your vision. Better to be safe than sorry.

Some helpful links for beginners!

If you've never put them in before, it'll probably take you about 30 minutes- an hour to put each lens in. At least, that's how long it took me. It's a strange feeling but it's something that you'll get used to quite quickly.

There are lots of different methods, but I tend to just pull them off. (Sounds freaky, I know. But it's really not that bad!)

Make sure to clean your lenses before and after use! You don't want to get an eye infection! 

vlogger on geekandsundryvlogs, cosplayer, and occasional magical girl!
★ youtube.com/sachie
☆ twitter.com/sachiecos
★ facebook.com/sachiecosplay

Comments

• sachiesachie Member
    edited August 2013 PM

Where to buy circle lenses: 

So now, I'm sure all of you guys are interested in where to get lenses! There are lots of online shops that sell circle lenses! There are also lots of shady ones, so you have to be careful. The three stores that I constantly buy from are 

All three of these stores provide a massive selection of circle lens colours and designs, as well as great seller communication and fast shipping. I believe all of them are based around Asia though, (Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore etc) so it typically takes 2-3 weeks for lenses to arrive in Canada. It could take longer or shorter depending on where you live! 

I've also bought cool mesh/whiteout contant lenses before! These contacts cover your pupil to give a "blind" effect, which is great for characters like Toph from Avatar, Hinata from Naruto, as well as different zombie looks! Those can be found at here, or at Youknowit.com.

I wrote a review on them on my blog! They look really cool, but it's quite hard to see through them. Definitely have somebody with you when you wear them because it'll be hard to navigate! Especially if you're in a crowded convention hall. 
    ★ youtube.com/sachie
    ☆ twitter.com/sachiecos
  • How to choose circle lenses:

Circle lenses come in a variety of designs and sizes! It is important to consider the size of the lenses in regards to what kind of look you'd like to achieve.

Circle lenses come in sizes ranging from 14mm (just slightly bigger than regular contacts) to up to 17.5mm or 18mm (massive, dolly-eyed effect.)

Circle lenses will look different on everybody's eyes! If you have more downset eyes, you might need to get bigger sizes in order to achieve the 'big-eyed' look. If you have more upset eyes, then smaller-sized lenses may be able to give you the illusion of bigger eyes! 

What kind of effect are you looking to achieve? 
    •  Dolly-eyed/cuter effect, look for lenses with a thick black outer ring. 
    • For example: DollyEye, Princess Mimi
    • Natural look: lenses with a lighter and smaller outer ring, with a speckled or blended design.
    • For example: Nudy, Fresh
    • Animation/Cartoony/Surreal effect: look for bright coloured lenses in a solid colour.
    • For example: Cartoon/Animation 

★ youtube.com/sachie
    ☆ twitter.com/sachiecos
  • This post is reserved for other circle lens related topics! :D 
    ★ youtube.com/sachie
    ☆ twitter.com/sachiecos
    ★ youtube.com/sachie
    ☆ twitter.com/sachiecos
    ★ youtube.com/sachie
    ☆ twitter.com/sachiecos
  • otherrobertotherrobert Member
    edited August 2013 PM
    Great guide. I wish I had seen the bottle opening before I completely botched my first attempt a few months ago.

I mentioned this in the YouTube comments and I wanted to mention it here, too. Those are great sites for people whose vision is halfway decent. For people who need stronger prescriptions like I do (greater than -4.00), Exotic Lenses is a good site. They have a wider selection than most sites of strong prescriptions on their popular models. 

I met the owner and some of the staff at a recent convention and they said they can get stronger prescriptions on some, but not all, of their designs. You just need to e-mail and ask. There are even listings where they let you know they do custom prescription by having you write the prescription in yourself. There's a $20 fee for those listings but it's worth it to not have to play with glasses all day long while cosplaying as a character with working eyes.
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    Thanks for that info, @otherrobert. I also have a high index prescription.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • edited August 2013 PM
    @otherrobot thank you for that i was woudering about where to get prescriptions
  • Have you done anything with sclera (full-eye covering) lenses? I love the idea of getting all-black ones just because that look is pretty freaky/cool but I'm not sure the best place to get them and they seem awfully expensive.
  • @geekrunner Nope, but I'm hoping to try them out in the future! Lots of people want to try them out but are afraid of the size/if it's painful... I've had quite a bit of experience with contacts, so I think that'll make for a good video! :D 
    ★ youtube.com/sachie
    ☆ twitter.com/sachiecos
  • Good Day!!This forum that you make is so nice and great...