What'cha Readin'?

MooGiGonMooGiGon Member
edited August 2013 in Amy Dallen
To help squeeze out more discussion on the forums for Amy to enjoy (hopefully assuming she keeps tabs on us here), I thought I'd pose the question I used to title this discussion.  From the introduction thread, I see that everyone's at sort of a different place in their comic reading lives (which makes for great conversation, I feel), so I don't want to limit it to just comics.  Comics (and manga), graphic novels, books, magazines, free local newspapers, whatever else you happen upon, it matters not.  All I want to know is, what'cha readin'?  (And, if you're so inclined, what do you think about it?)

For Comics:

I'm loving Hawkeye, enjoying Young Avengers, The Suicide Squad, Justice League of America, and Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time and am reading with varying levels of enjoyment (and several issues behind!) Birds of Prey, Teen Titans, The Phantom Stranger, Masks, Superboy, and Red Hood and the Outlaws (for the morbid hope that Roy Harper gets fixed soon).

For Graphic Novels/Trades:

I just wrapped Team 7's trade in the hopes that it might fill in some of the lingering foreshadowing in Suicide Squad, Birds of Prey, and other titles, but had no such luck.  Not a bad read, but not quite what I was hoping for either.  Next up is the collection of Young Avengers Presents #1-6, which I read once before several years ago before I became increasingly enamored with Kate Bishop.  I'm looking forward to re-reading it.

For books:

At the moment, I've just completed Chris Wooding's The Fade.  A strikingly depressing book from my all-time favorite author that's also quite a bit different from anything else of his that I've read thus far.  Now, I'm starting Chicks Dig Comics: A Celebration of Comics by the Women Who Love Them, an anthology of essays, interviews, and the like from some pretty big names.  I've only gotten to the intro (by Mark Waid), but I'm really liking it.  Mutants & Mystics, Atomic Comics, The Ten-Cent Plague, and Grant Morrison's Supergods (a re-read) are all on my to-read list as well, along with the final book in the Inheritance Cycle.

Comments

• I tend to only buy collections (trade paperbacks etc) because single issue comics have never really been my thing.

I'm still playing catch up with Fables at the moment, as I'm buying the Deluxe editions as they are released. Of course, it means I'm about 100 issues behind, but them's the breaks.

Not much else, really, I'm afraid. I did get the complete Absolute Sandman volumes, plus many other comics written by Neil Gaiman (not all), and other than that it's been TV/Movie spinoffs like Buffy Season 8 (not S9 yet), Fray, Serenity, The Guild, Doctor Horrible, and Farscape.

I am very very disappointed that Boom decided not to publish the last two TPBs for Farscape, because I want to know how the story ends, dammit! They'd ALMOST finished it, and then just decided to leave those final 8 issues as unpublished in TPB form...
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • Current series: I am subscribed to Detective Comics, Superior Spider-Man, Dark Horse Presents, Star Wars: Legacy, Star Trek, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle: Color Classics (it's reprints, so not technically new), Atomic Robo, and Atomic Robo Presents Real Science Adventures.  I am however behind on reading all of them, except for Atomic Robo, and have small piles to read through.

Back issues: I have been working on getting back issues of Detective Comics and Amazing Spider-Man, although I haven't gotten many in the past few months for financial reasons.  Also, like my new stuff, I have a bunch of unread ones that I still need to go through.  I also have a pile of old Dark Horse Presents issues to read through, but in the past week I've started making progress on them once again.
  • Fiendish_ImpFiendish_Imp Member, Moderator
    I tend to find myself in and out of comics for years at a time. Just got back into them after a long hiatus, so if anyone can recommend any good books. I'll pretty much read anything as long as the story is good.

Currently Reading: The Victories (I'm a sucker for Oeming's artwork), most of the main Batman/Superman titles, Saga, Avengers, Green Lantern (well I'm up to the end of Johns' run dont know if i want to continue), Justice League (not really sure about this Trinity War thing), Walking Dead, Lock and Key (looking forward to the end of this series), Wolverine, Constantine, Kick-Ass, All-new Xmen, and Fables (though like @molokov i am playing catch up), Hawkeye, and dug out my Sandman to get ready for the prequel series.

Also reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Gaiman and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. On deck I have the rest of del Toro/Hogan Strain series (Books 2 & 3), The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler Olsen (a like a good mystery), and picked up Under the Dome by Stephen King because I want to see how much better it is than the show.

Viva la Retrolution!

http://twitter.com/TheFiendishImp
    Steam ID: fiendish imp
  • @Fieldish_Imp If we're talking books as well as comics, my list is much longer :D Recently read: The Long War (Pratchett/Baxter), The Ocean at the End of the Lane (Gaiman), The Guild Official Companion, Hunted (Kevin Hearne), The Woman Who Died a Lot (Jasper Fforde), Wool (Hugh Howey), and have been working my way through the Dresden Files (Jim Butcher) - have read the first five in the past six months, need to keep going soon! Currently reading Unnatural Creatures (ed. Gaiman) and Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day (Pratchett, Stewart & Cohen). Will probably get back to Dresden next, before moving onto Shift (Howey), and a few others on my 'to read' shelf.
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • @Molokov I'm sorely tempted to just stick to trades as much for convenience as for reading experience, but I always get hung up on the fear of what you mentioned: the publisher deciding to just not collect part of a series.  I don't want to be left hanging like that!  I also don't want to get stuck discovering how quickly the trades can go out of print like I did with the Stephanie Brown Batgirl and original Young Avengers runs.
  • I have almost read mainstream comics and manga only, since is what can reach my far corner of the globe (south america), but recently i have see a growth in the local market of import, i'm right now enjoing superior Spider-man, Batman new 52, Kick-ass, Powers, and for the first time in my country a local release of Iron-man.

I would also like to recomend some manga that i'm reading and have read, Death Note and Bakuman from the great duo of Takeshi Obata (artist) and Tsugumi Oba (writen). Now i'm understand that in EE.UU. you guys have your own Shonen Jump antology magazine published by Viz Media, i recomend it since is been published with the same rate as Japan.
  • Don_DiegoDon_Diego Member, Moderator
    Anyone reading the recent run of Daredevil? IMO one of the best things out nowadays
    "Go forth and screw up!" -New Vlogger Army

Youtube: youtube.com/ClassyDonDiego
    Twitter: twitter.com/Classy_Don

• I'm reading a bunch of random stuff. I'm in love with Saga. Finally started Locke & Key and really digging it so far. My other big ones are Harbinger from Valiant, Ten Grand, Red Sonja, and Amelia Cole which I had been reading digitally but just had a print trade released. Yay! I really want to check out Hawkeye, I have a few issues but haven't had a chance to get to them yet. I also have Mind the Gap to read. I am obsessed with its cover art. Man, my To Read list is almost longer than my actually reading list. I'm going to stop before I start rambling on about everything else I want to read.
  • Mostly webcomics (sinfest, yafgc, queastionablecontent, girls with slingshots, xkcd) and comic strips (mostly Norwegian), as well as the 4 big ones in manga(Bleach, Naruto, OnePiece and FairyTail).

Books: Way of Kings and whatever romance novel I've just bought on Amazon.
    I believe in dragons, good men and other fantasy creatures
  • I just recently got into buying comics. I am reading the Walking Dead. I'm on Compendium #1. I bought the first Mass Effect Foundation today. I'll def be buying all of the Mass Effect comics as I've always been a big ME fan. 

When i have money again, i'd like to get into Batgirl. but i'm 23 or so issues behind and i want to start at the beginning. I need to get into Y: The last man as well, as post-apocalyptic is my favorite genre. Is that a genre? i don't know what to call it :)
    PSN- VaultDwellnChick
  • After reading almost exclusively scholarly books for a few years, I'm now trying to get back to "normal" reading. Still have two French editions of Jasper Fforde lying around, but am just too lazy to start reading (which is not to say that they're bad, just that I'm lazy)

As for comics, I read Buffy S9 trade paperbacks (though I'm already one or so issues behind), and I think I need to start Saga and/or continue Runaways. Or Fables (my list is way too long...). "In These Words", a manga by Jo Chen (illustrator of Buffy S8 and 9) is also high up on the list. I also have a bunch of manga lying around, but once again I'm too lazy to pick them up

As for books, the next thing I'm getting is Amber Benson's (yes, Tara!) "The Golden Age of Death", the last volume in her "Death's Daughter" series. And I absolutely need the Downton Abbey Scriptbook (even though I already know parts of the dialogue by heart)
    I sometimes tweet: V_Arakawa (in several languages)

Author Thread: Kouri

I also have a blog: Arakawa Fiction
  • I have just read the end of Amazing Spider-man, and i'm really uncomfortable... don't get me wrong i love the last three issues but... Damn i know Peter will be resurrected in no time but... but... aghhh!!!
  • Here's what I'm reading:

Comics: Death Match (from Boom!), Avengers Arena, Marvel's Infinity event, Indestructible Hulk, Nova (which I'm really enjoying, Superior Spidey's recent guest appearance was great), Walking Dead, Mass Effect: Foundation, The Dresden Files: Ghoul Goblin, Injustice: Gods Among Us, All New X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, Thanos Rising, Batman And Superman, and Guardians of the Galaxy. Those are the highlights for me. Oh, and I'm looking forward to the reboot of Army of Darkness: Ash and the Army of Darkness and the new Firefly series.

Graphic Novels/Trades: I read most of Locke & Key in trade form as well as all of Y: the Last Man. I'm up to the 17th Fables TPB Inherit the Wind.

Books: The Ocean at the End of the Lane (Gaiman), The Long Earth (Pratchett/Baxter), Warhammer 40K: the Horus Heresy saga, the Dexter series, anything by Brandon Sanderson.
  • WisemanWiseman Member
    edited September 2013 PM
    And i just started Avengers Arena, just as miss @AmyDallen request it, before continue with this comic i have to said that i have already read the original manga of Battle Royale, said that i have to admit that they have pulled out some good tense moments and relationships betwen the characters.

There are things i still disbelieve such like the fact that the evil mastermind controls the environment as a godlike being, maybe it will be show why it's like the way it is in the final issues (i have to admit that only read the first three) but at the very begining it doesn't feel right. The original Battle Royale and others likely story have more smart ways to represent the power of the main villian, and how that power is used to force the victims to kill each others, in here i just feel that the villian said "yeah, the mighty plot give me this unbeatable powers that only a 5 years child would pick for a story, and i never tryed to use againts the main characters of the marvel universe!". But the rest it's well done, the diference of each groups, their backgrounds, how they react to the stage, i will continue read it... very and patiently slow reading.
  • I've been reading X-Men: Legacy, All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Fearless Defenders, Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Young Avengers and Thor: God of Thunder primarily.
    Few others I've been meaning to get added back to my stack like New Avengers, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, Indestructible Hulk and a few others... :P
  • I'm currently reading up on 52. I just finished volume 1. Now I'm waiting for my library to get volume 2 because I put it on hold. 
  • Don_DiegoDon_Diego Member, Moderator
    @Jamesxide My brother can vouch for Nova and Guardians. It's a fun run.
    "Go forth and screw up!" -New Vlogger Army

Youtube: youtube.com/ClassyDonDiego
    Twitter: twitter.com/Classy_Don

• I'm reading a whole load of comics at the moments, but the ones I'm paying the most attention to are:

Hawkeye - Man, this is the best thing I've read in I don't know how long. I was going to specify "best super hero thing I've read" but I don't even know if it's really a super hero comic. I mean... damn. I heard about this book and I thought "Hawkeye deserves his own book? Pshaw!" I was so, so wrong.

Ten Grand - Kind of reminds me of Constantine mixed with Spawn? I'm not sure really. Love the grit though.

The Wake - Man I love the art on this book. I also have a strange soft spot for underwater horror/ sci-fi thriller/ adventure so that's cool. So far it's great.

Uncanny X-men - Scott Summers interests me in this. That's enough of an accomplishment to get me to read a book.

X-men - Love the Art, love the team.

Indestructible Hulk - Kind of a shock actually, but I adore this book. It combines everything I love about Banner with Everything I love about Hulk. Other than Planet Hulk I think it's the only hulk book I own anything of. It's so much fun - The Thor issues stand out for me as particularly hilarious.

B.P.R.D. - This is one entry, but I collect all of it. Pretty much anything Mignola-verse and I have it. This shall continue 'til the end of time.
  • Currently working on The Sandman and The Dark Tower series. I'm considering trying Fable, but will have to wait a few paychecks first.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start with X-Men. Was my fav cartoon growing up but it seems to be such a complicated universe. I've read the House of M arc (thanks to friend) but not sure where to go next. 
  • I'm reading as much Runaways as I possibly can. I got volume 2 of Alias and finished it as fast as I could. I also started reading Lazarus, which is awesome!

I'm just getting in to reading comic books/graphic novels so any suggestions are appreciated!