What music are you into right now??

Comments

• The new Arctic Monkeys' album 'AM' is really doing it for me at present, especially the closing track 'Wanna Be Yours' - amazing reinvention of a John Cooper Clark work!
  • Don_DiegoDon_Diego Member, Moderator
    Right now, I'm listening to King Crimson. As soon as I finish this bowl of cereal I may switch to some Genesis. Enjoy!
    "Go forth and screw up!" -New Vlogger Army

Youtube: youtube.com/ClassyDonDiego
    Twitter: twitter.com/Classy_Don

• Ahoy! Today is talk like a pirate day. So I was trying to find a funny pirate video I saw a while back so I could rewatch it today. While searching for that video I found this violinist named Taylor Davis doing a cover to the theme song of the Pirates Of The Caribbean movie. Here is a link. Arrrr!

So she has an entire album of covers movie theme songs. But she also some video game song covers as well. In fact there is an entire album with her and a piano player named Lara de Wit performing video game song covers together. Here is their cover of the theme song for Assassin’s Creed 3.
  • I just found this other thread were people were talking about and sharing links for music videos that are in the themes sci-fi, fantasy and/or horror. If anyone is interested in trying finding music among those lines here is a link to that thread.
    http://geekandsundry.com/forums/discussion/419/sci-fi-fantasy-and-horror-themed-music-videos/p1
  • I currently have 'Cockroach King' by Haken stuck in my head. I saw these guys at HRH Prog festival in the UK this year and they were spectacularly weird and wonderful.Can't help but love the Queen-esque/Muppet music video!

My brother just showed me this Bluegrass version of The Offspring. I can't get this album off my mind.

• BiowraithBiowraith Member
    edited October 2013 PM
    Not sure how I missed them back in the late 90s but I've recently discovered 12 Rounds, a band involving Atticus Ross (best known for his various works with Trent Reznor) and his wife Claudia Sarne.  Not sure exactly how to categorise them; wikipedia says "alternative rock, industrial rock, trip hop", which probably fit, but they have their own unique (and sorta odd) sound that's got me hooked.

• My musical tastes are all over the place.  I go from metal to 80's to hardcore to any female vocals.  Something about the female voice, I dunno.  Although it can be embarrassing at times.  Being a burly man working at a military installation and getting caught singing and dancing to Mariah Carey can lead to some pretty funny insults.  As of late though I have been getting back in touch with my Industrial roots with a heavy mix of Liquid Drum n' Bass.
    For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: Know more about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
  • Fiendish_ImpFiendish_Imp Member, Moderator
    This past week saw the release of two albums by one of my favorite artists, Kevin Devine. The man is lyrically talented and is one of the hardest working musicians. On top of these two new albums, Bubblegum and Bulldozer, he also had time t tour with his side project Bad Books, which he plays with members from Manchester Orchestra, another great band.

Viva la Retrolution!

http://twitter.com/TheFiendishImp
    Steam ID: fiendish imp
  • @gigglz187 I’m a man and I like songs sung by women as well. I don’t think anyone should make fun of you for that. And I don’t think it is something you should feel ashamed of either. Enjoy the music you like.
  • Well I don't feel as embarrassed anymore @BingoBard.  I listen to Katrina and the Waves - Walking on Sunshine every single morning as I am walking into work.  Really sets the mood for the entire day.  I used to only dance in the elevator but now I'm gettin down the second I leave my car.  Felicia and the entire Geek & Sundry community have really instilled in me to embrace my inner geek, dork out, and not even think twice about it.  So whether I'm beltin out Celine Dion, dancin to Whitney, or rockin out to Shai Hulud, I am having a grand ol' time and loving every minute of it!!!
    For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: Know more about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    edited October 2013 PM
    Gee, @Gigglz187, could you try to be a little more original? Looks like you found the right place to hangout, anyway.

"but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
    Someone say female singers? Me and my younger brother, who is built like a linebacker, sing this song with no shame.

• gigglz187gigglz187 Member
    edited October 2013 PM

NO WAY @Oakspoor!!!  I have been rocking out to that song ever since I saw the Futurama episode with Fry's dog entitled "Jurassic Bark".  Shh...I can't speak anymore of it or I will start to cry.

I can get down with that @Don_Diego.

• BingoBardBingoBard Member
    edited October 2013 PM
    With the talks of female singers I wanted to mention some female singers I listen to myself. So many choices. Hard to pick just a few. So in the effort of narrowing it down I decided to pick songs I like that I believe could be considered strong, powerful, and female empowering.

Christina Aguilera’s Fighter.

Pink’s U + UR Hand.
    I’m not posting a link (or embedding a video) for this song because I guess one of the lyrics might have a little innuendo and a few swear words, and I was unsure about if that would be appropriate or not to post a video here of that in the forums. So decided to just state it’s a great song. Basically it is a about woman who just wants to enjoy day (or evening) and not be bothered by random men that are trying to pick her up. If I were to pick one line from the song that helps set a tone for the song, it would be this line. “I’m not here for your entertainment.”

Emilie Autumn’s Fight Like A Girl.
    I have seen some people abbreviate the song to F.L.A.G. I just recently discovered Emilie Autumn. So far this is the only song of her’s I like. I think the rest of her stuff is a little darker than what I normally like.Mostly I am guessing that is the reason. I cannot be a 100% sure myself. So if you like darker music (or just curious about what the rest of her stuff sounds like) by all means go look up the rest of her music.
  • Fiendish_ImpFiendish_Imp Member, Moderator
    Two of my favorite female singers

Oh Land
    I love her voice and the way she tries to combine art and music. I met her at an instore performance in NYC and she is a wonderful person. She actually was going to be a ballerina until she had a terrible injury, and decided to go into music. Is it terrible that I am thankful for that?

Metric
    Oh, Emily Haines, how do I adore thee? Ever since I first heard the song Raw Sugar a few years I have been hooked on her voice, whether it's her solo album or joining up with Broken Social Scene. Metric is great to listen to, and has the power to cheer me up. 

*Fun Fact: The character of Envy Adams from Scott Pilgrim is based on Emily Haines, how cool is that?
    Viva la Retrolution!

http://twitter.com/TheFiendishImp
    Steam ID: fiendish imp
  • BiowraithBiowraith Member
    edited October 2013 PM
    I've almost always much preferred female vocals - when I first started listening to and buying music as a teenager I almost exclusively limited myself to male fronted grunge and hard rock; I think even then I had a preference for female singers, but misguided notions of image and what friends would think probably played a part in my choice.  Once I was out of high school though I started expanding my tastes and quite quickly women took over my music library.  

At this point (age 35) it's about 80% female singers and female fronted bands, and most of the male fronted music I do listen to is 'historical' stuff left over from when I was a teen.

Favourites change all the time, so I wouldn't even know how to start picking a selection to post, other than the music I'm into right now (hey, that's the name of the thread!).  So here's a couple from the albums I bought at the weekend:

Pati Yang - a Polish singer/songwriter/electronic musician.  This song is from her first album, which is about 60-70% in Polish; her later albums are all in English, but I like her first album the most (she gets poppier and dancier with each new album, which doesn't align so well with my personal tastes).

(for an example of her later, poppier stuff, try e.g. Hold Your Horses)

Stealing Sheep - an English folk/rock band.  I gather this track has been used in a number of places on tv and a video game - I first heard it on an advert for Hollyoaks, which nearly put me off - I loathe that show - but I enjoyed the song enough to try and block out the mental association :p

This may be a repost but since its right on topic;

I've liked Norah Jones forever. She has one of the clearest vocal instruments you can find. Then I found a couple of videos she did with her half-sister, Anoushka Shankar:

"but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
  • On the subject of Norah Jones, I heard the following the other day, and it amused me in a childish kind of way (probably NSFW, or at least polite company):

Very cool. I've always liked Faith No More and its nice to see Tom is still at it.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!