What music are you into right now??

Comments

• PepsidewPepsidew Member
    edited August 2013 PM
    @BingBard All the acts are connected in telling the story of "the boy". So far there are three acts but I believe that there will be three more.

To summarize:
    Act I: The Lake South and the River North - Revolves around the boy's mother who is a prostitute known as Ms. Terri (haha puns). She ends up leaving the city to escape her life of prostitution and give birth to her son.

Act II: The Meaning of, & All Things Regarding Ms. Leading - (More puns!) - After his mother's death (SPOILER ALERT?) The boy is left alone in the world and eventually finds his way back to the city and falls in love with a prostitute referred to as Ms. Leading. He then catches her essentially being a prostitute (with another man) and leaves her.

Act III: Life and Death - The boy ends up going to war (WWI) finds his father (crazy business) along with his half brother (who dies). He ends up killing his father with poison. The over arching theme of this record is how terrible war is and how it effects the boy.

My explanation isn't the greatest but I hope it helps!
    photo Bullshitpt2.png
  • @Pepsidew Thank you for that explanation. The concept of having all those songs connected together to tell a story sounds like a cool concept.
  • Fiendish_ImpFiendish_Imp Member, Moderator
    @PepsiDew Have you listened to The Color Spectrum by The Dear Hunter? Another concept that he worked on spread out over 9 EPs.
    Viva la Retrolution!

http://twitter.com/TheFiendishImp
    Steam ID: fiendish imp
  • @Fiendish_Imp Yes! The Violet EP was my favorite, the song Too Late is amazing. Also the collection together is great!
    photo Bullshitpt2.png
    @pespidew Violet is a good choice. I always seem to drift to Red and Indigo, particularly for Deny It All and Progess. There's so many good tracks. Have you heard the new album? Curious to hear your thoughts.
    Viva la Retrolution!

• Last year…Maybe it was two years ago… Somewhere with in recent years I discovered two music genres I did not know exist, and I think they are lesser known genres. Or they are well known genres and I have been living under a rock completely obviously to them. The me living under a rock scenario is actually a fairly plausible one. Has anyone heard of the genres cello rock, or cello metal?
  • @BingBard Did you just say Cello Metal? Please continue.
    photo Bullshitpt2.png
  • @Pepsidew Sounds like Apocalyptica.

Been listening to some Godspeed you black emperor because I went to see them last week. Also some Neutral Milk Hotel

• @Pepsidew According to a few different places on the web a lot people believe Apocalyptica is a good example of cello metal, not cello rock. It is also the only band I can find people calling cello metal, if there is another band out there considered as cello metal I would be curious to learn about it. As the name suggest the primary instruments for cello metal and cello rock, is cellos. But it is not just limited to cello. The genre also includes bands were the primary instruments are other bowed string instruments like violin or viola. In short I think if it is a bowed string instrument it counts.

Apocalyptica originally started out just doing covers of Metallica with cellos. Now they write their own music and have expand to include some other band members with other instruments (drums, guitar). But their cellos are still primary of their group. And every now and then they get a guest singer to sing with them (to be clear not all of their songs have lyrics). My favorite song of theirs is I Don’t Care, which has Adam Gontier from Three Days Grace singing with them.

Like I said before if anyone knows of other cello metal bands I would like to know about them. I will wait a little bit before I post some samples of cello rock.
  • @Jens_h @Bingbard I can't believe I forgot about them, I really liked I don't Care once upon a time. Thanks for re-introducing them!
    photo Bullshitpt2.png
  • Is there a difference between a genre and a subgenre? Because I found one website that said cello rock and metal rocks were actual subgenres. I have no idea if that means anything to anyone but I thought I would post that. I get the feeling that both cello rock and cello metal are new genres of subgenres so find accurate information is a little bit tricky for me, since I think they are still in their musical infant stage. And I think that fact they are in their infant stage is partly why I would like to learn more about them. Like trying to see how they will evolve. But I guess this could mean that some of my information can be wrong, so bear that mind. I probably should have made that statement in the first post. Sorry.

Okay so I was trying to double check something before posting about some cello rock groups and discover another group that people call cello metal. But some other people are calling them string metal. Is there a difference? I have no idea. Will have to find a music expert for that. So I have not formed any overall opinion of this band. I literally just found out about these guys a few mintues ago. But when I stumbled across these guys I went, “Oh look. There is another band besides Apocalyptica.” So I thought I share the discovery and people can make up their own minds if their good or not.

The band is called Judgment Day. They are three person band with a cello, drums, and a violin. The name of the song is Forest Battle.
  • BingoBardBingoBard Member
    edited August 2013 PM
    So I have two bands for cello rock. I was going to mention a third but after some checking of the internet I’m starting to think I’m the only who thought they were cello rock, and their genre is actually something else. Anyway, the first band is 2Cellos. As you are likely are guesting they a cellist duet. I personally really like their cover of Guns N' Roses’s song Welcome to the Jungle.

A slower pace song is their cover of U2’s With or Without You. This video is at a live show they did.

This next band is called Cello Fury. They are three cellist and one drummer. This first song is called Infinity Rises.

This other song is called Odyssey. You might notice that the video is called Odyssey recut. The original video included scenes of them cutting away to show some dancers, and in the recut they removed the dancers and you see just the band. I went with this video since they kind of did the cut away to dancers in the Infinity Rises video and I wanted to avoid a deja vu feeling.
    edited August 2013 PM
    One of my favorite cello bands is Rasputina. They are pretty awesome.
    Here's their cover of "Wish You Were Here"

and one of their older songs "The Olde Headboard"

Viva la Retrolution!

• BingoBardBingoBard Member
    edited August 2013 PM
    I have just noticed that this thread was made by @NerdyPunk but they haven’t posted anything for a month. Are they still around? I don’t want to feel like we some how took the thread away from them.
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    From the last line of the original post; " ...recommend some artists/bands that you like?"

This thread is doing just what it was asked to do.

@NerdyPunk may be just lurking and enjoying what we are posting here.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • Early this year (I can’t remember the exact month) stumbled across this music video of a rock band called Signed In Crimson doing a rock cover version to Taylor Swift’s song I Knew You Were Trouble.

Liking that video I decided to see what their other music might be like. Only to discover at the time it was the only music video they had, and they were still in the process of making their first album. I have more recently checked back. They have now released their first album and have a few more videos. This video is for their song Imposter.

Note: Their cover of I Knew You Were Trouble does not seem to be on their album, but you can buy separately from iTunes. And the name of their YouTube channel is signedincrimson.
  • This may seem like an odd question. Does anyone know any musical artist or band members with a disability? I like learning about disabilities, people who have disabilities, and how they overcome them, or just simply live with them.
  • Doesn't Def Leppard have a one-armed drummer?
  • Yeah, Def Leppard's drummer only has one arm.  I believe he lost the other in a car crash in the 80s.

An obvious example from history would be Beethoven.
    Jeff Healy was a blind guitaritst, probably best known for his slide guitar playing and appearing in Road House with Patrick Swayze,
    Viva la Retrolution!