What music are you into right now??

Comments

• Duran Duran - Safe (Live at Coachella 2011 ft Ana Matronic from Scissor Sisters)
  • So… Would it be okay if I mentioned a band here I didn’t listen too? Or would that somehow be inappropriate or too strange? The band is talented and I respect their talent. If their songs came on the radio I wouldn’t feel the need to change stations. They’re just not my cup of tea. However the band is also a little out of the box, in geranial I like promoting out of the box thinking. Which is partly why I’m asking if I can post about them. So other people who might like their music better than me could possibly find them. So, would it be okay for me to post about the band I mentioned?
  • Fiendish_ImpFiendish_Imp Member, Moderator
    edited August 2013 PM
    With that buildup I would like to know who they are. I don't see why you shouldn't post it. This thread is about music you've hears and spreading the joy of music.
    Viva la Retrolution!

http://twitter.com/TheFiendishImp
    Steam ID: fiendish imp
  • BingoBardBingoBard Member
    edited August 2013 PM
    @Fiendish_Imp Alright then. The band is called Steam Powered Giraffe. They wear costume and makeup that makes them look like steam puck robots. Or at least I think their steam punk looking. They’re definitely robots that’s for sure. And they don’t just wear costume and makeup to look like robots. Their body movements also have a robot feel to them. They have a YouTube channel simply called Steam Powered Giraffe. Here is one of their older videos.

And here is a newer video from a live show after they changed a band member.

Like I said thought they were a little out of the box, and hope people who would like their music will discover them.
    It's interesting. I can see what you are saying, wouldn't skip their music, but don't think I'd seek it out either. It seems that it is more of a gimmick for their live shows. 
    Viva la Retrolution!

• OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    I know these guys are fans of The Dead Milkmen. I would go see their show.

"but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
    @Oakspoor I love The Dead Milkmen, been listening to them ever since my I stole my brother's copy of Beelzebubba. They are one of the bands that I have been dying to see live but everytime they are in the area I have been unable to go.
    Viva la Retrolution!

edited August 2013 PM
    @Fiendish_Imp I think gimmicks can sometimes be okay. They do have other songs then the ones I posted in the earlier post. I just now realize the videos I posted were both songs about being a robot. I do want to state that not everyone of their songs are about robots. That was just an unintentional coincidence on my part. Like I said even thou they are not my kind of thing I can understand why people would enjoy their music. And I do hope those people learn about this band. In a strange way I am glad Steam Powered Giraffe exist because their concept of a band is an out of the box idea, and I think the world needs more out of the box ideas.

Now for a music group I do listen too, and I do own some of their songs is Pentatonix. They are an a cappella group and they also have their own YouTube channel called PTXofficial. Pentatonix were the winners of the third season of a singing competition called The Sing Off (which I heard they are bringing The Sing Off back this year. YEAH!) So you might be able to find stuff from when performed in the competition. I know you can at least buy some of the songs they did in The Sing Off from itunes. The songs they have done since the competition is also available on online from itunes, or Amazon. To my knowledge there is currently no physical CD version.

Here is their cover version Gotye’s Somebody That I Used To Know.

And here is their cover of Nicki Minaj’s Starships.

Yes, it really is just them and their voices.
    @BingoBard Maybe the clips weren't exactly representative of their work as whole. I didn't mean gimmick in a bad way, but the live video made it seem like it was like they were performing at a school assembly. Out of the box bands can be a mixed bag, and it is a good way to get noticed. Never really could get into a capella, but I do find it interesting. Here's my favorite a capella song a cover of Yazoo's "Only You" by the Flying Pickets.

Viva la Retrolution!

• OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    @Fiendish_Imp, I didn't know The Dead Milkman had reformed. I need to start looking out for them.

@BingoBard,I loves me some a capella;

Here's The Bobs

"but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • I think my interest in a capella started just a few years ago. I was hearing my family talking about how more and more current singers are were heavily using auto-tuning and there was a debate about whether or not using auto-tuning was cheating in some way. I have not been able to form an opinion myself. I am still debating it back and forth with in my own head. It was around this time I believe my family discovered The Sing-Off which is a competition of nothing but a capella singing. I think what I find appealing about a capella music that is it is music that is completely free from the ongoing debating in my head. There is no instruments, no gadgets, just pure vocal talent. Do I currently have a big collection of a capella music? No. My music collection in general is small. I don’t always search for new music as often as I would like. Which is one of the reasons why I am really excited about the return of The Sing-Off. It’s a chance for me to find more a capella music. Yes I probably can promote The Sing-Off until the cows home. But I’ll stop now.

THE SING-OFF IS AWESOME!

Okay now I’ll stop. :)
  • Well at the moment I'd have to go with:
    Portugal. The Man - Evil Friends (Album is fantastic)
    Asking Alexandria - From Death to Destiny (In my opinion this album is really good although if you don't enjoy that kind of music I can see people disagreeing)
    Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - The Heist (Obviousy Thrift Shop is what got alot of people to notice them along with Same Love but Neon Cathedral was the standout to me.)

Along with that I'll listen to about anything, but to be honest modern country music just can't hook me.
    photo Bullshitpt2.png
    @PepsiDew PtM are so good. The new album is definitely more of a badass sound from them. One of the better releases this year.
    Viva la Retrolution!

• @Pepsidew Would it be rude for me to mention a cover version of one of the songs you just mentioned? It would not be me trying to state this version is better than that version. At most it would be a statement of this version is different from that version. Like night and day different. Thou I believe it is possible for a person to like two different versions of a song (for example I equally like both Gotye’s version and Pentatonix’s version of Somebody I Use To Know) I will be front and say that in this case the two versions are so different that it may be likely that some people will prefer one version over the other.
  • @BingoBard Fire away!
    photo Bullshitpt2.png
    edited August 2013 PM
    @Pepsidew Thank you. So something I try doing when I am looking for new music is look for cover versions of songs I know. Usually I am looking for a version with the song done in a different style, or has some other element that makes stand out and be different. I don’t always find good results. But every now and then I find an interesting gem, and it was the mention of the song Thrift Shop that reminded me of them. They are called Scott Bradlee & Postmodern Jukebox and you can find some of their videos on the YouTube channel called ScottBradleeLovesYa. What makes this version of Thrift Shop stand out? To put simply this what the song might sound like, if it was song by a band in the 1920’s or 30’s.

They have other songs were they have done this kind of thing with. I think my personal favorite is their version of Call Me Maybe originally done by Carly Rae Jepsen.

I don’t expect this to work with ever modern day song in existence, but I thought this was cool.
  • @BingoBard wow, those are fantastic. I especially like the piano in the Call Me Maybe cover!
    photo Bullshitpt2.png
    edited August 2013 PM
    @Pepsidew The guy on piano would be Scott Bradlee. He has a couple of CDs where it is just him playing piano. He also did a CD with a different group of people were it was covers of Nickleback songs done in the style of Motown called A Motown Tribute to Nickelback. Here is a video of one the songs from that album How You Remind Me.

Note: I have no idea what the rest of the album sounds like.

I do want say I have been looking up and listening to samples of the songs and bands mentioned in this threads. Some I am like better than others. I’m just not saying which ones because I don’t want to offend anybody for not liking their music. I’m glad I stumbled across this thread.
  • PepsidewPepsidew Member
    edited August 2013 PM
    @BingoBard I just sat in my chair snapping along to that!

Also I'd like the add The Dear Hunter to my first post, they released Migrant earlier this year and even though it doesn't play into the Acts (which have a story to tell!) it's an amazing album that I'd recommend to anyone!
    photo Bullshitpt2.png
  • @Pepsidew Let me see if I got this right. The Acts are series of CDs by The Dear Hunter. Each CD tells a story from beginning to end when all the songs on it are played in ordered. Or are all the Acts connected in a continuance story spread out through all the albums? Or am I completely wrong and it is something else altogether?