The Guild fifth year anniversary

StevenSteven Member
edited July 2012 in The Guild
Today, July 27th marks the fifth year anniversary of "Wake Up Call" being uploaded and starting what we know as today our beloved Guild. Looking back I can now see the genius that went into making the show and even the title of the episode has that certain ring to it hinting that TV is no longer giving us what we want and this is the way forward. I know Joss Whedon truly believed that because he was getting fed up with the writers strike and we all know what came from that. The Guild is more then just a show it was the catalyst for all these YouTube web series. So now I ask because show has been with us for five years what keeps you coming back, what was your favorite moment, and looking to the future what would you like to see explored in The Guild?
Find me on Twitter @thatonetechguy

Comments

• Last season was INCREDIBLE.  I can't wait to see what happens with Codex now working for "The Game"  I just hope Fawkes is still around

Happy 5th Anniversary!!!
  • Just posted to WatchTheGuild.com: The Guild: Five Years and Counting

Hear from the cast as they reflect on the show on it's Five Year anniversary.

-Brian
    Brian Peebles Kameoka
    Guildie 4 Life!
    Twitter Facebook LinkedIn IMDB Xbox: Brychee

• I've already congratulated the group via twitter and a blog post, but just to make sure it sinks in, Happy Birthday to the gang behind the best reason to have a broadband connection - and that includes warcraft!
  • SeppySeppy Member
    Well, this is sure a great success for the show, i'm proud for them.
    Personally, i still follow and love the show because it shows in a funny and entertaining way the world of gamers and "nerds". Done greatly, i'll be waiting for the next season like everybody.
    Again, congratulation The Guild *cheers*
  • torontogaltorontogal Member, Moderator
    edited July 2012 PM
    @Steven - great topic!  I'm going to fly off on a bit of a tangent, as that's what I'm prone to doing.  But my hope for The Guild is that years from now it will be looked upon as what it truly is - a cornerstone in the growing emergence of the 'New Media'.  Eventually, we'll reach a point where watching web-based content will be as natural and commonplace as watching a colorized movie - convergence of media platforms continues to occur, and web-content continues to gain viewers and critical acclaim.

But to expand my thoughts - when technicolor first came out, there were a couple of movies that used the technique way back in the early 1930's.  But it took a movie like the Wizard of Oz to really open people's eyes to the virtues of colorization, through the sheer creativity, quality, and imagination of that film.  The Wizard of Oz may not have been the originator of colorization - but it was the innovator.

I see The Guild in the same light - web-video has been around for a long time - but such a uniquely creative show is what helps open people's eyes to the potential of the format.  When the dust settles on the expansion of the New Media, and the historians think back to the content that helped push forward this new platform, I hope that they think back to The Guild - a show that proved that internet video can be about so much more than just funny footage of guys getting hit in their groins with footballs.

Ultimately, I think it proved that web-video can be as touching, as creative, as unique, and as high-quality as anything seen within the traditional media.  I see it was one of the first dominoes in cascade of creative content - it truly helped people understand how they can use the Web as an outlet for their own creative expression.

So on its 5th anniversary, I say a heart-felt thank you to Felicia and Kim, and the cast and the crew!  You guys rock!  My only request, is that whilst the New Media revolution is inspiring and amazing, please always leave a small portion of the internet where folks can still upload videos of guys getting hit in the groin with footballs - because I kind of love those videos, as well ;)

[football in groin is a gratuitous Simpsons reference - giving credit where credit is due :)]
  • I think I speak for everyone else Torontogal, when I say cheers, bugger following that post. You said everything that needed said, so glad I went before you, I'd hate to follow that one :D . Well Said
  • @torontogal - Every word! That is just so true. 
    It took me back to the con I attended in London where Sean who organized the event told Felicia Day that they will write books about her in the future. 
    Her impact is still relatively unknown but it will be. The Guild's influence on New Media is yet to be discovered by the world.   

@briankameoka - The post on The Guild site almost made me cry. I might be a little emotional today (not related to the anniversary)  but still, that was amazing. 

And yeah, I do hate that I'm posting after @torantogal..can I use the excuse that English is my 2nd language? :) 

• torontogaltorontogal Member, Moderator
    edited July 2012 PM
    @Twinoni - thank you so much for the glowingly complimentary words!  You're too kind! :)

@Ayelet - that's such a cool anecdote from your convention-experience - I very much agree with Sean's sentiment!  Thanks so much for the kind words, and on a sidenote, you always communicate with such fluency and intelligence that I never would have guessed that English isn't your native language.  Keep on being awesome! :)

Anyhoo - despite the kind and generous praise from Twinoni and Ayelet, I don't want to be known as the girl who brought this thread to a screeching halt based on my rambling long-windedness :) So for the benefit of those who originally wanted to post in this thread, I now present you with a vacuous and superficial posting that will be so lame and devoid of content that it'll be an easy act to follow...

*clears throat*

So umm, the real reason I love the Guild is because of like, y'know - Felicia Day's hairstyles n' stuff.  Like seriously, I don't even pay attention to the plot or nothin', it's all just about seeing when she's wearing a side-pony-tail or an up-do and yadda-yadda.  I was soooo mad in S4, cuz that Zampoo guy was like gonna give her a fish-tail braid and he never did.  False advertising, much?  So yeah - congrats on S6 and all that, but I hope there's more fish-tail braid.

*awkward silence*

[Alright, gang - the above reason for loving The Guild is so incredibly inept and superficial, that now you can jump in with something way smarter and more cogent!  This thread shall be resurrected!  Yes! *fist-pump*]
  • TriencoTrienco Member, Moderator
    @Ayelet Well, my vision of the future is that one day even the last dinosaur has accepted that old fashioned media distribution channels don't make much sense in a world of broadband internet. Once this change has happened and it will be perfectly normal for shows to be available online and internationally, I like to think Felicia and The Guild will always be remembered as pioneers that led the way. I don't know if they did it first, but they sure are the first who did it successfully.

Plus, also thanks to the internet, people these days don't have to be dead for a hundred years, before the world finally sees their genius. And the last five years are proof of that (or they might not even be five episodes).
  • @torontogal, I appreciate the vacuous intro, which will make my vacuousness appear less vacuous.
    The Guild has been "on the air" longer than the original Star Trek. One of the things that impresses me is the distinctly non-tacit efforts of Felicia, in particular, to make it happen through force of will. Having wonderfully written, craftily produced, and emotionally connecting content, and killer casting can only get you so far. The billion e-mails and calls, the shaking hands until callouses form, the dedication of friends, not just to "make something I'll like and don't care if anyone sees" but to grow an industry outside the system is a brilliant example of what kind of success you can have and what kind of effort you can expect to put into it.
    I also love that it shows new media makers that you don't need a sound stage and millions to be brilliant. You can do creative set dressing, pack a crew in a hotel room and sweat like dogs, *ask* people for help and create instant fans, etc.
    Oh, and the hair thing, like she said. :)
    "Yeah, I stole your sweet roll. What are you gonna do about it?"
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother-"
    "..."
  • I agree totally with @torontogal, and have been telling anyone who will listen that we're really witnessing the beginning of the end of the old model. I recently ditched cable/satellite completely, now getting everything via streaming (Apple TV 3 in one room, Jailbroken Apple TV 2 w/ XBMC and a PS3 in the other room, plus an HD antenna on the roof hooked up to an EyeTV.) it's great tha we're seeing channels like Geek & Sundry pop up, with regular weekly schedules and everything. Between YouTube channels, various other podcasts, Hulu Plus, MLB.tv, and Netflix, I have everything I need. Even with my subscriptions (Hulu, MLB, etc), it's still $80 less per month than I was previously paying. I look forward to the day (soon) when everything is even more converged and I only need a single device.
  • MusingMadMusingMad Member
    edited July 2012 PM
    I have to say the thing that keeps me coming back has less to do with the actual series and more to do with what it represents. The series is, of course, incredible, but for me the real inspiration is what they did with nothing but their minds and volunteers. It's the idea that they wanted to share the passion and love of all things geek with the world, and that is what keeps me coming back to the show more than anything else. That being said, it's incredibly high quality writing, and I want to see what comes next. I'm pretty sure that goes without saying for all of us fans :).

My favorite moment was a bittersweet moment. FYI, bit of a long story coming that has more to do with my inspiration story created by the Guild...please, please, please feel free to skip to the TL:DR sentence below. This has more to do with me wanting to get this story off my chest even if no one is listening.

Anyway, it was about 2/3 of the way through the 3rd season. The relationship (or lack there of) between Fawkes and Codex resulted in an eye opening moment for me. We all know that the concept of being a jerk to Codex just can't be done. The character is just so fragile and sweet that to be cruel to her would make most of us worried we'd break her! However, we saw that Fawkes was doing just that throughout the season. It was great to see Codex get her inner strength at the end, but the end of the season wasn't what opened my eyes. I realized while Fawkes was being cruel to Codex that I had in the past. I remembered a time when I absolutely unloaded on someone with a similar personality to Codex. The story wasn't exactly the same as we never dated, but the personality was just close enough that it triggered the memory. It all came cascading down for me at that moment when I looked to my past and saw many moments like this. I'm not entirely sure when it happened, but I have become a dick. I'm ashamed to say that it has gotten pretty bad, and I know that it needs to stop. I've spent the last 10 years in school working on various degrees, and now that I'm finished with graduate school I find myself with a HUGE amount of time on my hands that was previously occupied by studying. The Guild has not only inspired the realization of who I have become, but also given my the inspiration on what to do about it. I saw what Felicia and Kim could accomplish on their own in season 1, and I've decided to do it too. I've started a new hobby of creating content to fill that chunk of time that used to be filled by studying. I've started to work on my own scripted web series about a man's journey to...well...not be a dick any more. I'm not expecting much out of it, but you can bet I'll pour my heart and soul into this. Seeing as today is Wil Wheaton's birthday and the accompanying "Don't Be a Dick Day" and in thanks to the Guild I want to honor both by creating a semi-fictional depiction of my own character transformation. If it gets 12 views when it's all said and done, it'll be a rousing success to me, but I know what it will have done for me. Like I said, it was a bittersweet favorite moment, but I can't help but be grateful to the Guild for, in essence, saving my life!

TL:DR - I've become a dick, the Guild helped me realize it, and inspired me to take steps to correct it. That is my favorite moment of the series.

What I would like to see explored in the future on the Guild is pretty simple. Years ago when I still played WoW, our guild leader had a tendency to call instructions over vent without realizing those instructions were already being carried out before the called for it. Inadvertently, his trademark phrase become, "Keep doin' what you're doin'." That's what I want to see in the future of the guild - keep doin' what you're doin'.

To those who read all of that drivel above, thanks for hearing my story!
  • @musingmad Heard and appreciated; thanks for that other perspective. We hear people say they are like Codex, geek, shy and misunderstood, and Vork-misers; it's good to hear someone relate to another character and see how that affects others. Good grief, what if you could watch your while life in third person perspective?!
    Love The Guild because it's real enough to matter and quirky enough to keep coming back.
    "Yeah, I stole your sweet roll. What are you gonna do about it?"
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother-"
    "..."
  • 5 Years wow! Ive been watching since 2008 when I first got a zune 120 yes the black brick. I wanted to find some cool shows to put on my zune then I found it "The Guild". I dont normally follow famous people but for Felicia well thats another story. Congrats. Glad I did not get an ipod  X) 

Have you heard of me? NO? What a shame.
  • I feel like I'm really late to the party, having only discovered The Guild last November, but through it I've found so many more great things on the internet, and whilst I still spend evenings sat at the computer, I spend less time now sat in front of the computer thinking "what shall I do" - instead I'm trawling YouTube etc for things initially with Felicia, but then finding other people in the things she's done and seeing what else they've done, and then finding another person in those things and seeing what they've done... etc etc :)
  • This is proof the great shows like this can succeed without all the network BS. SYFY? Not really, not anymore more like pro wresting channel.

It's just proof that in today's age we the people don't have to be force feed the networks tell us we should like.
    Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!