Guild costuming

MolokovMolokov Member
edited July 2012 in The Guild
Hi all,

I know there's been some fantastic Guild cosplay done at varying conventions around the world - I've seen some photos!

Felicia is coming to Australia in November for Supanova Brisbane & Adelaide, and my friends decided they were going to go as Codex & Clara & Vork (avatars), and considering my currently Wheaton-like bearded state, I suggested perhaps I could try for the Fawkes avatar (of which we've only seen in the Fawkes comic).

Am I mad? Is the costume a bit too complicated to put together in a few months, especially to someone who can't actually do any clothes sewing? [I will probably have help from my friends, but they have their own costumes to make too]. Has anyone already tried to design out exactly how to put the costume together? I gave it a shot with pencil & paper this morning but have no idea if what I've drawn will be practical at all.

Advice? Is it not worth trying this time around? Should I just go the simple route and wear an Axis of Anarchy t-shirt and a kilt?
New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander

Comments

• I like the idea! And I don't think it's mad. 
    I've seen some very convincing cosplay at Melbourne Comic Con that didn't require a lot of sewing. I'd love to help, but I'm in Melbourne.. 
    I admit, I've only seen the cover of one of the comic books (http://www.geeksofdoom.com/GoD/img/2012/05/2012-05-13-guildfawkes.jpg) and it does look complicated. I'd start buing a long sleeve and black leggings and go from there. 
    In my opinion the most important part for recognising the outfit are the staff (no sewing there) and the skulls. 
    What I'd have most problems with is the collar. That seems difficult. It will definitively need something to support under the fabric. There are more professional ways to do it, but I would go for some plastic.
    Wish you all the luck! 
    And I hope there will be some photos here! :) 
  • Yep, that's the one. And for something I'm not sure I'm going to do, I've done an awful lot of design work on it today. I'll talk things over with my friends this week and see where we go from there :)

There's more illustrations in the comic that give a better indication of how the whole thing fits together, which helped me somewhat. I agree, the high collar is probably going to be the trickiest bit to make... I'm going to have to rely on sewing-capable friends for their advice there!

Still, my friend who's doing Codex has said she'll swap her sewing skills for my staff-making skills so I may make both a Codex & Fawkes staff, and she'll sew the costumes.

New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • That's great! Happy for you. :) 
    Have you thought about putting a making-of online?
    I guess these are costumes more people would be interested in how to make. 
  • I'll try and take as many photos as I can (my friend too) so we can have a 'making of', sure :)

• That sounds like a great idea, don't give it up! And take pictures of all of you guys together in costume!
    Have fun and good luck. :)
  • Ok, we've taken the plunge. Today I ordered some clear plastic ornament balls to do the orbs on Fawkes' and Codex's staffs, and I'm going to try and make a mini-mockup of the Fawkes costume on a doll this weekend, just to see if my designs actually work. (Yes, I will post photos, eventually)

• @molokov  Did you consider making the gorget out of Sentra/ABS plastic? It's relatively easy to work and would give you a nice sturdy platform to mount the cape and shawl elements. 
    Just a thought. Chipboard-reinforced fabric is cool, too. I was just feeling very ARMOR!-like ;)
    "Yeah, I stole your sweet roll. What are you gonna do about it?"
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother-"
    "..."
  • @tacamam I have no idea what a gorget[1] is, nor Sentra/ABS plastic. In any case, I'm not going to worry too much about the clothes elements of my costume, that's what my friend is for :)

I'm going to work on the staffs (Codex & Fawkes) first, and let my friend worry about making the actual clothing.

[1] I'm going on a wild guess and thinking it means the big, outer collar, right? I'm actually surprised that I remembered the world 'pauldron' when I went looking for it in the dark recesses of my brain :)

• This is last night's effort:

Yep, I did up a doll in Fawkes' costume - this is mainly to see whether the designs I've sketched out will work in practicality - and it looks like they will.

The colours aren't right because I was just using some old sheets for the fabric, and the pauldrons/gorget is just an approximation made out of cardboard, because a) it was getting late and b) I couldn't be bothered doing something so fiddly so small. My friend says she knows how to make that work anyway. I think it looks reasonably good, anyway - and it's definitely a good start.

Next, I'll hand the doll and my designs over to my friend so she can work out proper dress-making designs and get the right amount of material, and I'll start work on the Codex & Fawkes staffs.

• Adorable little Fawkes!
    Looks great so far!
    Please keep us posted.. also about your staffs..!
  • Second costume fitting (for me) tonight. Things are looking good, all our bits and pieces are well under way. I've also almost finished the Codex staff and Clara wand, with Fawkes's staff still having a little bit more to do.

The convention is in four weeks. Will we get it done in time? :)

• Jamc888Jamc888 Member, Moderator
    This is awesome, if I had the crafting talent required I would dress up as Codex as well! I'll be going as Chell from Portal instead, any excuse to take out my Portal Gun.

Can't wait to see the finished costume, if you're going to the Brisbane Supanova I want a photo! :D
    Twitter - Jamc93
    Steam - VineShield
  • Adelaide for me, so ours is a week later than Brisbane :)

• So we've got three weeks to go, and costuming is well underway - we've even added a Tink & Vork to our group (giving me another prop or two to make).

Here's a teaser for everyone: The finished Codex staff:

• Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
    @Molokov: Wow. Did you make it like Greg showed in the tutorial or otherwise?
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

G+: https://plus.google.com/+DanielWallace/
    twitter: @evildanwallace
  • I did watch Greg's tutorial and used it as a starting point, and also got inspired from this link, but also did my own variations (and trial and error) along the way. I have taken some photographs of the whole process, and will write up a blog about the various prop constructions after the convention.

I'll try and convince my sewing friends to do the same for the costume making process (although they admit they haven't taken as many photos) so we'll see.

• OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    Great use of PVC pipe! What did you use for the 'wings'?
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • MolokovMolokov Member
    edited October 2012 PM
    Foam core board (as per Greg) It's wonderful stuff, now that I know about it :) Note that the main body of the staff is actually a piece of dowel, the base is a PVC pipe join with a hole drilled in it.

• OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    edited October 2012 PM
    Dowel would be more rigid than pvc without much added weight. Good thinking!

I can't wait to read the write up and see the build pics. Would you consider doing it on instrucables.com?
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • Good idea, @oakspoor. I'll consider it :) I did the wing designs (and other parts for the other props) in Inkscape as SVGs and definitely want to share those files - do you know if instructables allows you to upload/link to files that aren't photos?