The Guild Alt World

alanalmeriaalanalmeria Member, Moderator
edited April 2013 in The Guild

Just imagine a different world, were the collection of idiots that run network television, recognize the burgeoning brilliance of a geeky redhead and commission a full television series of the guild.

Obviously they remain far to stupid to utilize the original and perfectly made casting decisions, but instead decide to recast the show with the "best" and "brightest" of supposed tinseltown talent.  How would that casting end up? Lets find out as we dig into my Alt World Guild.

Bladezz - Jason Mewes - An almost perfect combination of feathery hair and ridiculous douchiness

Tink - Devon Aoki - Ok so she's not the most emotive actress every, but Sin City was awesome.

Zaboo - Kunal Nayyar - So this may be a little obvious, but Indian and Geeky, would be interesting to see him in a role where he gets to speak to ridiculously gorgeous girls, rather than mime.

Clara - Katy Segal - Going back a little here to the Married with Children Days, but she has great comedic timing and all that experience of being a less than perfect TV mum. Shame Futurama has been cancelled again.

Vork - Colin Mochrie - Bald and ridiculously funny, hey its just like Vork 2.0,oh and yay for new whose line episodes, given Aisha Tyler is hosting maybe we can get Felicia/Jeff or Sandeep on the show

Codex - Felicia Day - Please people, utterly irreplaceable, whilst its really hard to imagine anyone playing any of the other guildies, its impossible to replace Codex.

So there you go, my stab at an network TV guild, feel free to post your own or maybe you have a alt-axis or a alt-game workers to post.

Game On!

Love The Guild and/or Choose Your Own Adventure Novels? Then make sure to check out The Trials of Codex.

Comments

• I don't know that I could presume to replace any of the Guild cast even in an alt universe but I would love to see some more guest star cameos (or short-term characters) in possible future episodes. I'd love to see Janeane Garofalo on the show.
  • torontogaltorontogal Member, Moderator
    edited May 2013 PM
    @Alanalmeria - welcome to the forums!  Glad you came out of lurking, as you've posted some great topics/thoughts :D

This topic is a good thought exercise, as doing a rebuild of the The Guild is hard to envision as each character was embodied so perfectly.  That said, I liked your suggestions!  If I were to put myself into the shoes of a network executive, I may head down the following path...

Bladezz - I'm thinking a younger version of Joseph Gordon-Levitt? Like back when he had longer hair in his 3rd Rock days.  He's got good acting chops, so I think he could pull off the sardonic traits necessary to inhabit Bladezz.

Tink - this is a tricky one.  I may go with Felicia's real-life friend, Maurissa Tancharoen.  Her stint as one of the steam-punkers shows she has a knack for comedic timing.  I think she may be able to pull off Tink.

Zaboo - Hmm.  Maybe the actor who plays Abed on Community (Danny Pudi)?  He's able to play a rather socially awkward character on that show.  Though the Abed character is awkward in a way that's rather different than Zaboo.  But hey - Sandeep Parikh had a brief cameo on Community as an alternate-Abed.  So it makes sense for Danny to return the favor and play alternate-Zaboo :)

Clara - looking for someone who can straddle the fence of being bubbly, enthusiastic, and kinda child-like adorable whilst also being able to get raunchy and inappropriate if need be.  I'm thinking Melissa McCarthy?

Vork - okay, so funny eccentric bald-guy who wears a suit?  *taps chin* - Jeffrey Tambor of Arrested Development fame...

Codex - gotta agree with @Alanalmeria that replacing Codex with anyone other than Felicia Day is tantamount to sacrilege, as I'm such a fan of her portrayal.  But if you were to put a gun to my head, Mary Kate Wiles is doing an great job of playing a different style of geeky, well-meaning red-headed outcast over on the web-series Squaresville.  So if you twist my arm, I'd maybe pick her...

Thank goodness I'm not an actual network exec - because this imaginary casting was hard!
  • alanalmeriaalanalmeria Member, Moderator

Ooh people, real live people, I was afraid there was nothing here but tumbleweed.

Thanks for the kind words @torontogal the topics seem to have gone down really well ;)

It was really interesting seeing your picks and pictures as well flashy. I can't believe I forgot about Maurissa as a possible Tink, makes me wonder if it would be possible to have an entire Whedon-Verse alt cast. Maybe something for a rainy day, although for some reason I could just image Nathan Fillion playing in-game Vork.

I suspect @oakspoor may come to regret his decision to unearth the lurkers, now that I'm here you'll have to stuff me back in the bottle.

Like that Genie that you release only to find he doesn't actually give you any wishes, just hangs around criticizing all your decisions. You know the one I mean right?   right?     guys?   anyone?

Love The Guild and/or Choose Your Own Adventure Novels? Then make sure to check out The Trials of Codex.

edited May 2013 PM
    @Alanalmeria - I always worry that making a wish from a genie will have one of those ironic twists where you don't quite get what you wished for or it has horrible consequences.  As long as you're not not that type of genie, I think we're good! (in all seriousness, thanks for de-lurking!)

So Whedonverse alt-Guild cast?  *rubs hands in glee* I'm kinda a huge fan of the Whedonverse, so I can't help be tempted by that suggestion... here's a rough stab at it...

Bladezz - young version of Vincent Kartheiser (Connor from Angel)

Tink - Maurissa Tancharoen (Whedonverse writer, and groupie from Dr Horrible)

Zaboo - was there really never an Indian male in the Whedonverse?  Not one that I can think of, which makes me kinda sad.  So I'll go with Fran Kranz, who seems adept at playing a character that's a mix of dorkiness and boyish enthusiasm (as evidenced by the Topher character from Dollhouse - who also had darker undertones, but it's the best I could think of).

Clara - needs someone who can be charmingly befuddled and ditzy.  I'm thinking Mercedes McNab (Harmony from Buffy the Vampire Slayer).

Vork - a tricky one.  I'm thinking maybe Armin Shimerman (Principal Snyder from Buffy).

Codex - remains rather irreplaceable.  But the younger incarnation of Alyson Hannigan put her own twist on playing a shy, introverted, red-headed character (Willow).  So I'd go with her.

And done! *keyboard drop*
    edited May 2013 PM
    No wait! - I know an even better choice of Whedonverse actress to play Codex!  I can't quite remember her name - but there was this talented young actress who played the Potential Vampire Slayer, Vi.  She'd be perfect!  If only I remembered that actresses' name...

*exaggerated wink*

• alanalmeriaalanalmeria Member, Moderator
    edited May 2013 PM

I think she was called Kathryn if I remember correctly?

As for an Indian male, the nearest I can find is Gil Birmingham who played the Peruvian man who was pursuing the gorgeous Ara Celi in Inca Mommy girl (Buffy S2.4) and has since gone on to Twilight.

He's Comanche so that's kind of an Indian male, Although he's really not the Zaboo type at all.

EDIT: And of course there was that entire thanksgiving episode, kind of based around native American culture that would require someone to have a memory greater longer 30 seconds to remember.... DOY.