On The Table Hangout! How to get into the next level of gaming!

TabzTabz Member
edited January 2013 in On The Table
The guys did a great job of explaining miniature gaming especially. You should check it out!
"All your problems today have been solved by Tabz, a computer, and God."

Comments

• The hangout was pretty good - I've got no interest in wargaming or miniatures - but the enthusiasm that the guys on the hangout showed was really great.
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • melting_potmelting_pot Member
    edited January 2013 PM
    I watched the hangout. I must admit, it provides a rather comprehensive reply to my criticism (from the other thread here) where I lamented that the show isn't noob-friendly.
    good job.

btw, someone should make a discworld miniature game. dibs on the Rincewind miniature (because we all know he's going to win.. well.. survive)
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    I want the Luggage miniature!
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
  • MolokovMolokov Member
    edited January 2013 PM
    You guys do know about the Discworld figures from Micro Art Studio, right? Not for any game in particular, but you can still assemble and paint them. [Too fiddly for me, I don't own any - the Nobby Nobbs figurine I won as a prize I've given away as another prize]

You could easily use such pieces as playing pieces in the Guards! Guards! board game :D They probably wouldn't work for Ankh-Morpork though.

I have mini-pewter figurines of Death, Errol and The Librarian (from Clarecraft, which went out of business years ago, so you can't get them any more), and we do use those as playing pieces for some games, e.g. Munchkin. I think there probably was mini-pewter figures of The Luggage or Rincewind but I didn't get them.

New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • @Molokov "the Nobby Nobbs figurine" be honest..did you try to connect the dots?

figurines.. meh.. I'd consider them interesting mementos and nothing more.. I don't get to do much tabletop playing, these days, so they'd just sit there collecting dust.
    but I still call dibs on Rincewind if I ever get to play
  • edited February 2013 PM
    Can't finish watching right now but a game that I did not see them mention, at least not yet, is called Blood Bowl which is a fairly simple classic miniatures game.  From what I understand the actual miniatures sets are really pricy BUT you can play the game on PC (Steam) and XBox.  I had fun playing it with my friends.  Those of you who are not into miniatures (neither am I) might check that out and get some idea of the tactics and play that they are discussing without having to actually invest large amounts of money.

Oh, and I'll take the Librarian or Susan Sto Helit thank you.
  • Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
    @HumphreyBraggart: They do talk about Blood Bowl for a while around 27:30. Boyan told that he had a BB tournament in lunch breaks at work.
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

G+: https://plus.google.com/+DanielWallace/
    twitter: @evildanwallace
  • Yes, I saw that watching a bit more earlier though they did not seem to mention the PC version.  I think that might be a place to start if you are interested in seeing how these types of games work.  I've found myself wishing I had the game proper.  I thought it would be a great game to play with my friends today, it being "Super Bowl Sunday", since we aren't into watching sports.  Unfortunately I just don't have the funds to invest.
    Now that I think about it... I used to have a Blood Bowl game. And an orc team - the "1. BBC St. Whaag". We used to name our teams after existing soccer clubs, like the "1. FC St. Pauli" in my case. The undead team of my friend was called "Cruel Death United". :-D

I think another friend of mine borrowed my game some years ago after I had stopped playing for a while and he never gave it back. And I don't have a number or anything from him anymore, so it seems like I also don't have a Blood Bowl game anymore... why do things like that keep happening to me? Dammit.
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

• I really want to play Blood Bowl now. I do have to get Memoir 44 for my dad... I think he'll dig it.
    "All your problems today have been solved by Tabz, a computer, and God."
  • @Tabz  It's a fun game.  It can be very serious and tactical but it's always at least somewhat silly.  Some teams (like the hobbits) seem to just be there for novelty.

@Daniel_Wallace  I always like to use funny names.  I played a Lizardmen team I named PhishBonez.  All my skinks(small runners) had names like Phishstick and Kippersnack.  My saurus(linemen) were Sharky, Barry Cuda, etc.  Besides being fun I think it tends to incense more serious players.  My friend would get so mad when his power hitter named Cuchulain would get tripped up by a little guy named Anchovie or Sushi.
    @HumphreyBraggar: Oh yes. Depending a little on the set of rules used (there are quite a few old ones around nowadays) Blood Bowl is such a crazy  game, you just have to make it even more crazy with funny names and running gags and stuff like that.

I also loved to do crazy mods for my minis. You don't need that many for the game, so in my mind it's worth putting some more time into that then with a game using a huge army. For example, I often forgot that my troll was stupid (which is a rule, meaning he sometimes just stands around picking his nose, doing nothing). So I made him a red banner that said "I'M WITH STUPID" and an arrow pointing towards himself.