S6 Episode 6: Into the Breach

thcutenessthcuteness Member
edited January 2013 in The Guild
Codex gets paged and her beeper is a orb that blinks (3:14), I know this is a silly question but does that really exist? And if so where can i buy it?

Comments

• Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
    They mentioned that this was a restaurant pager. It seems to be a common thing in the US of A. HowStuffWorks.com explained how it works and took one apart here.
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

G+: https://plus.google.com/+DanielWallace/
    twitter: @evildanwallace
  • They're used in some restaurants/cafes (usually at food courts) in Australia too.

e.g. you make an order, but it'll take a while to prepare. So they give you a beeper, you go and sit down with your friends, and when your meal is ready, the beeper will beep and you can go back to the food stall and pick up your meal.

Quite creative to use this for Codex rather than an actual pager (which is pretty much obsolete tech that hardly anyone would recognise nowadays!)
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • That was my thoughts exactly its very clever and cute!
    I think it's mostly odd. :-) If I understood this right, it's a specialized system for which you have to own not only the beepers but also a specialized transmitter station. Why would anybody use something like this? :-D Except you were a pretty strange person... which Floyd obviously is.
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

• OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    I think the joke plays better in the U.S where anyone who has gone to Olive Garden on a Friday evening has had one of these monstrosities. Its not bad if the restaurant is in a strip mall where you can wonder around a bit. But when you would be outside the 100 meter range so you hang out around the door,  its just laziness on the part of the establishment not to actually call a name.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
    I can't even remember that I had to wait for a table in a restaurant more then once... and that was mainly due to the incompetence of the staff. So we drank some beers waiting before we randomly moved on to a place nearby that turned out to be 200 times better. :-D