Season 6, Episode 10 - Real life trolls as inspiration

Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
edited December 2012 in The Guild
I think we all have guessed it before but in the bonus material for episode 10, Felicia and even more Kim both talk about that a lot of what happens in this season in terms of internet trolls, flames, haters and so on derived from Felicias own experience.

The "black knight" reference cracked me up when I first heard it since I remembered all the shit comments about "white knighting" and everybody being a white knight that just wants to get into Felicias pants.

I really liked how Felicia through Cyd through Codex (meta meta...) gave the speech to all frustrated creators personified by Floyd in the "Cavern of Hate". I think I will make a motivational poster for the topic with a picture of Codex in this scene and an excerpt from her speech.

It cannot end like this between Tink and Donovan! The scene with them on the parking lot was so sweet and then it all blew up in just these few sentences. Aaaaaahhhh! :-D

All in all, this is one of my favorite episodes as this is probably my favorite season. Until now it was a close call between season 2 and season 3 but season 6 is so great in terms of the story, character development and the production value... I am crazy excited for the grand finale to come. I just hope Felicia will not let us hang like she did after season 2.

What do you think?
If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

G+: https://plus.google.com/+DanielWallace/
twitter: @evildanwallace

Comments

• The"et tu brute" of Donovan was interesting, but very Tink like.  Perhaps he really is her match.  He leaked the info, and needed a patsy, and the knights of good fit the bill.

I am enjoying the season

• Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
    edited December 2012 PM
    @Zuffy: Great point. Naturally wavy hair gives confidence +100, I guess. ;-)

One could probably argue further that Codex and Cyd are two sides of Felicia. Sometimes Felicia is a little clumsy, shy and uncertain like Cyd but on other occasions she is very confident, even a little mean, and totally means business like Codex. Or, better said, like Cyd when she is Codex. Or, even better, like herself playing Cyd who is playing Codex who is again played by Felicia. Oh dear, I think my brain just melted.

One other point: What a great in game avatar for Floyd. He could have outfittet himself with armor and weapons and crazy stuff like the mod from the end of season 4 or Donovan but he basically dresses in rags. He is so like-able and such a pathetic jerk at the same time. :-)

I don't know if this was intentional but did anyone else think of John Romero's head on a stick when Floyd had all the haters' heads impaled there? This would probably be a good question to ask @feliciaday herself. - Yes, I just at-mentioned HER and I don't believe she will answer but I always wanted to try. :-)
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

• @Daniel_Wallace sorry to be such a pain, but can you please use the correct spelling of Cyd in future? (@Zuffy has it right). We know this is the correct spelling as Cyd Sherman gives her name that way in the comics.

New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • torontogaltorontogal Member, Moderator
    edited December 2012 PM
    Great thoughts by all of you, as usual! :)

I've been sharing a lot my thoughts out there in the YouTube comments, but I really ought to say more over here within the forums.  As I've said elsewhere, I really love how Felicia has reflected certain aspects of herself within Floyd's character.  As we know, Felicia describes herself as someone who's a bit neurotic, and prone to panic attacks, etc - and she's talked about her struggles with writing the Season 4 Guild script, where she put so much pressure on herself to please her fans that it filled her with a lot of self-doubt and angst whilst trying to write.  A lot of those traits and a lot of those struggles are reflected in Floyd.  Which is a courageous move in my eyes - because on the one hand, Felicia is using Floyd's character to poke fun at herself.  But I also think it adds a layer of emotional honesty when a writer can take vulnerable parts of themselves and put those onscreen.

The other aspect I love is that whilst there's a lot of amazing subtext about how instant criticism can cause creative paralysis, there are also other layers in the subtext.  For example, how a creative person can be their own worst enemy when they focus too much on keeping everyone happy...

The line where Floyd notices a single detractor and says - 'It's semi-valid from his perspective... I've gotta write a personal apology'.  I feel like that's another moment where Felicia is hinting at some of her own foibles - she's described herself as a people-pleaser, and says she sometimes feels like the 'neurotic party host of the internet' who's super-focused on making sure everyone is having a good time.  So I can totally see Felicia noting the dissatisfaction of one or two of her viewers, and feeling as though she needs to say sorry to them.  You can tell Sandeep noticed the same Felicia/Floyd parallel, as he referenced Felicia's loyalty to her audience in the recent Guild hangout :)

Plus in this interview with Nerdist, Felicia points out how there's aspects of her reflected in Floyd.
    I think the most similar thing that’s very personal to me this season are some of the themes about creativity and criticism and being able to deal with Internet feedback. Actually, that’s kind of a big theme this season in the character who is the creator of the game, Floyd, rather than Codex.

I did infuse a lot of my personal experiences last year into this season, but it’s actually in his character versus Codex. Codex is there performing the thing that she does, which is to heal and take care of people. I think that’s really interesting. Obviously, it’s all a comedy, but I’m definitely able to put myself as a writer a little bit into this season.

As noted above, and as noted out in the YT comments, I just really love the subtext of this season.  The idea that Felicia could take such an ugly incident in her life (the online lynch squads that targeted her) and channel it into a thoughtful and ultimately poignant statement on criticism and creative perseverance?  That to me is an amazing accomplishment.  And I adored this episode - I kinda love it when the Guild gets a little bit heart-breaking, and that last scene gave me the sniffles.

@Molokov: Thanks for the heads-up. Utilizing the edit-function I can even have been using it already. ;-)

• What I am about to write is what I see, and is perhaps not what is real.  I don't know Felicia at all.  Purely hypothetical.

Writing the guild must be very cathartic for Felicia, voicing some of her inner most fears and personality traits into her characters, and allowing them to play out, and not only having the characters adored, but loved. 

Codex and Floyd are her insecurities, but they also have a trait I can only I assume she loves about herself, and that is her ability to overcome these obstacles and ultimately defeat them. 

Tink is who at times she wants to be.  No nonsense, shoot from the hip, F you and the horse you rode in on.  I am sure she has modeled the other traits off of other people she knew, but I think she draws from herself on this one as well.  We all have hero traits we draw on from time to time to get us out of certain situations, and I think Tink is her hero.

Vork is her perfectionist (forgive me) anal side that is into organization and structure.  Most perfectionist I know not only desire this, but pretty much need it to function properly.  But through this vehicle comes comedy, and the fact that she is able to realize this I think is a huge strength.

Bladezz is that immature side we all have within us, that does it's best  to come out and play, but is often regressed, because it is embarrassing.  I think we have seen Felicia has the ability to cut loose and have fun, and I think she may have sprinkled in a bit of douche for comedic reasons.

Zaboo and Clara however I believe are just 2 archetypes that lead to great comic relief that are like people I have met via online gaming as well.  The well intentioned super awesome player who just doesn't get how social interactions work, and the absent minded mother, whose gaming addiction kinda overrules her maternal instincts.  Perhaps these speak to Felicia feeling social awkwardness due to her unique schooling experience, and perhaps even to a lack of a maternal instinct, but I am not going to stretch too much on this one, and hypothesize this is just her funny bone coming out, because above all else, she wants to make people laugh and be entertained.

They say write from what you know.  And the acceptance of all that you are must feel amazing :)
    @Blairbeveridge: I think it's very natural to add a little bit of yourself to every characters you write, so you are certainly not entirely wrong. There surely is a bit of Felicia in each of the main characters but I wouldn't go as far as you did, especially since Clara and Zaboo don't seem to fit in as you pointed out.

• torontogaltorontogal Member, Moderator
    edited December 2012 PM
    @BlairBeveridge and @Daniel_Wallace - cool topic!  I recall a video with Felicia where she noted how as a writer there do indeed end up being traces of herself within the main Guild characters - either things that are true about herself, or traits she wishes she could have.  I recall her then going into a little bit of detail on that topic - and being the neurotic person that I am, it's going to bug me that I don't recall exactly where it's from.  *taps desk* I'm thinking it's a bonus feature on the DVDs somewhere?... *furrows brow*

Hehe - the funny thing is on the Clara topic, there may be more parallels between Clara and Felicia than we realize - not necessarily in terms of being irresponsible or being a neglectful parent etc, but on my end I feel that Clara has this ability to tap into this deep pool of joyous childlike enthusiasm, and I see that ability within Felicia as well :)

But the reason I touch upon the Felicia/Clara topic is because at a Dragon*Con, when Felicia, Amy, and Robin were asked who their favorite character is, Felicia noted that Clara's her favorite - she said she never has to rewrite any of Clara's lines and says Clara is like her 'inner me' - you can watch the full set of answers to that question within this link.  The ladies of The Guild are hilarious when they interact :)
  • Good characters need to have something in which we can identify.  So it would be more surprising if the Guild characters had nothing in common to some aspect, fear, or ideal she may have.

I do think, however, we as viewers can read way too much into this.

• I agree with the idea that characters often have a little something of their creators in them.. but I do believe that Felicia has mostly been representing "types" of players that are actually out there.
    I've met enough people whose life is completely wrapped around the game to the point that they see life through it (vork), obsessed to the point of neglecting their children (clara, I actually have a strong adversion towards that character on account of it reminding me a few too many women who did just the same)... etc etc.. I still know a fair few people who wouldn't stand out in a lineup with the guild members... so yeah, there's most likely something of Felicia in them, but mostly it probably was a case of "write what you know" as she repeats often.. or rather.. "write what you've seen over and over again".
  • In general people tend to associate with others who have qualities we rather covet or relate to in some way.  Perhaps all show writers do this I and am I just blissfully unaware.  I figured anyone in the corporate machine has focus groups and other such mediums to really drive the direction of their shows...maybe there is more creative freedom than I presume.

• I can see how Felicia and Clara are alike. Felicia's very open and honest with how she feels and says what's on her mind. It's refreshing! Felicia is, however, I think -- more responsible! ;)
    "All your problems today have been solved by Tabz, a computer, and God."
  • also, totally embarassed by anything remotely saucy, (I have watched her "playing with herself" video a few times just for the hilarity of her embarassment) which is funny considering how often she actually says things that everybody else in the room immediately interprets the saucy way ..