A bit confused

PetitCaesarPetitCaesar Member
edited December 2012 in The Guild
Howdy all!

First, I want to say that I'm a huge fan of The Guild!  It's one of the only shows I go out of my way to keep up with, and I absolutely love the dialogue and character development!  Keep up the great work!

I'm a bit confused, though.  Looking at the story as a whole, it seems like the events we've seen from Season 1 up to where we're at now in Season 6 have occurred in about a year or so in 'The Guild Universe'.  Is that about right?

Granted, it's hard to say how much time had passed between Season 1 and 2 (though it doesn't seem overly long), and the gap between Seasons 4 and 5 is open to debate as well (though it can't have been any longer than approximately 7 or 8 months, since Clara's still pregnant - a fact established at the end of Season 3).  However, each season appears to cover the events transpiring over the course of a couple days, Seasons 2 through 4 seem to happen in a matter of weeks, and Season 6 seems to start a day or a week after Season 5 ends.

Is that correct?  If so, I don't understand why the company behind The Game is rushing to release its underwater expansion less than 9 months after the release of their last expansion (Spires of Dragonor).  I guess I'm assuming the new expansion is content a player would have to pay for, and not a free addition to The Game, and I'm further assuming that The Game's price scheme is similar to WoW, since WoW is the real-world analogue that The Game seems based (mostly) upon.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• I think it's just best to recite the MST3K Mantra to yourself a few times.
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander
  • Ah, MST3K; good stuff.  That would be great advice, if I weren't already relaxed.  I just happened to watch some of the older episodes again and noticed what I posted above.  This is merely an observation I was wondering if others noticed or had an opinion about.
  • torontogaltorontogal Member, Moderator
    @PetitCaesar - welcome to the forums!  You definitely make a great point in your posting, with regards to the Guild timelines.  As you said, in theory, the events of the Guild are supposed to have taken place during short time-spans and rather close together.  And that raises a few challenges with continuity.  For example, in theory, our Guildies should still be stuck back in 2007 - because that's when the show started, and within the show's continuity it's only been a few months for the characters.  But in this season, Codex references Justin Bieber, who doesn't become famous until around 2011 ;-)

But I think ultimately those sort of continuity points are just a fun part of the Guild experience - as you said, there's stuff like the game expansion timelines, and also the fact that Bladezz and Tink and Deena become much more mature looking even though in the show's continuity they're only a few months older - and the fact that Clara's kids also get older (or one of them disappears!)

It's kind of like how in The Simpsons, the kids are perpetually the same age - the way the continuity works almost becomes a bit of a meta-joke by itself :D
  • Well put, TorontoGal!  I definitely don't mind the breach in continuity.  Honestly, I never even would have noticed had I not watched some older episodes again.  Still a great web series with great characters!
  • Famous shows such as Star Trek have people devoted to establishing canonic time lines and other aspects of the shows' universes, using the shows' actual contents, and doing their best so that books and movies done later respect them.

Reading this thread the following thought came to my mind : those noble enterprises may have been started by someone saying at some point: "I'm a bit confused" ;-).

Who knows what's to become of Guildology at this point ?
  • Perhaps we can come up with a Fringe like concept of alternative universes interfering with each other to explain the gaps in continuity
  • I'd never been to tvtropes website before, Molotov. I now have 15 tabs open. You will rue this day.
  • New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines | Introduce yourself here! | Join the G&S Community Online Game Night!

You know, I thought about curing Cancer, but there would still be eleven other horoscopes to plague us, so why even bother? - Farlander