Needs work.

JayJay Member
edited November 2012 in On The Table
Although I don't mind short snippets of gaming news, 18 minutes of it with the same musical sting between every story is a bit tedious. There needs to either be some longer stories thrown into the mix or the whole thing needs to be shorter overall. And give those guys access to some new music.
- Jay Adan
- Greenfield Games

Comments

• Daniel_WallaceDaniel_Wallace Member, Moderator
    What @Jay said. :-) It's pretty hard to watch something this fast paced and packed with facts. One or two longer, slower segments between the different topics would make it much more enjoyable.
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

G+: https://plus.google.com/+DanielWallace/
    twitter: @evildanwallace
  • Yeah I agree, I would rather have fewer games reviewed and some of the games reviewed a bit more in depth, its too fast paced for me.
  • OakspoorOakspoor Member, Moderator
    Oh good. I was thinking I was just old and out of touch with the MTV generation. Still enjoyed the content I was able to catch with my slow, old eyes.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Wheaton's Law; "Don't be a dick." It's not THAT hard.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    New to the Forum? Check out our Forum Guidelines
    @Oakspoor: "I was thinking I was just old and out of touch with the MTV generation."
    Well, you are. It's just that we are, too. ;-)
    If you see any spam, @-mention me in the thread and I will come in to kill it with my hammer. The hammer is not my... you know.

I try to attack ideas and not people. If I fail, let me know. You may be wrong but I still love you. ;-)

But, but, but, I feel so hip and with it. Except in the mornings before the ibuprofen and caffiene kick in. Or in the afternoon when my knees remind me of a famous breakfast cereal. or...

ahh crap.
    "but, masters, remember that I am an ass; though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass" W.S.
    Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
    Be grateful for the pain in the morning. If you should "wake up" without it, you probably died in you sleep. ;-)

• You guys crack me up.
    "All your problems today have been solved by Tabz, a computer, and God."
    @Tabz: Great. And now get off our lawn, girly. ;-)

• But.. but.. I lost my ball over here!
    The dogs have probably eaten your ball by now anyway.

• To back to the original topic, I agree that "On the Table" needs a lot of work.  Did not enjoy it at all.  It is the first G&S show that I turned off.  

Looking forward to TabelTop's return in the new year.
    You know Hobbes, somedays even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.
  • I think the music has been fixed quite nicely, toning it down during the news more.
  • The "show" made me actually unsubscribe from G&S. I hate advertising shows and this "show" is in essence nothing but commercials. Mostly for games i don't even have the slightest interest in.

@PhantomPhorce: And being subscribed forces you to watch it?

• Hey guys!

This episode coming out today has taken a lot of your feedback into consideration and it sounds (especially sounds) a lot better! So make sure to check it out (and play the Hobbit quiz that runs through the show). :D
    I liked it a lot better now. There was nothing in it that interested me much personally but it's much more fun to watch now and the "we don't want this to happen again" montage was cool. Nice work.

• @PhantomPhorce wtf? I don't like all shows on G&S, so like a sane person I just don't watch them!
  • melting_potmelting_pot Member
    edited December 2012 PM
    I have another criticism towards the show..
    I'm not into miniature tabletop games. they interest me in a general geek knowledge perspective.
    I'm also not that much into tabletop games that I would rave about them for hours or seek out other tabletop games I don't already know or play  "because they're there".
    lastly, I'm not into smutty/sexloaded fantasy (I don't particularily mind it, but if it ain't there I'm not going to complain and I'm certainly not going to look for it at the expense of the main fantasy theme).

that said, I really like watching tabletop and vaginal fantasy (that show could do with a grumpy old man with a devious sense of humour making inappropriate jokes when opportunity arises, in a "the Todd from Scrubs" kind of way, just to embarass Felicia more than the other 3 girls already do)..  I don't like watching On the Table... and I don't think it's because I'm just that much not into wargaming
    I am considering looking for a few of the games introduced by Wheaton, and might even end up reading a few of the "smutty" books.
    the shows engage me, explain things and seem open towards watchers that are new to the subject, or who don't usually walk down those particular avenues of entertainment.
    "on the table" seems completely geared towards people who already know what it's all about and who simply need someone telling them when the latest issue or the last miniature comes out... which is something that other shows do too, but in a few minutes.
    also, in the show you make statements without really explaining them or backing them up.. which again, leaves non-gamers in the dark and is probably old news for avid gamers, who probably contributed with giving cause to those statements.
    either way, I don't see the point in it.
    "look at this, this is cool" and "oh, have you seen the latest miniature?" and "next week ima go play that game until I fall asleep".. dont' quite inspire me to wanting to try those things out for myself.
    It seems to me they're missing a trick by shutting out potential newcomes to the game and by not dedicating a few minutes of the show to explain a bit more about what tabletop wargaming is about, reviewing individual games and/or development other than just saying they exist... or maybe even tackle related issues such as: how the crap does one paint miniatures if one has 0 artsy skills, what the game mechanics are..either compared to one another or in general... and so on.
    as it is, this show would be a complete enigma to anyone bumping into it and not already aware of what wargaming is or that it exists.

I might still not be interested in actually trying the game or indeed painting the miniatures.. but I'd be much more interested in watching the show.

in short, the show has room for improvement but you guys need to decide what it wants to do when it grows up. it can either focus on being completely geared to telling people who are "in the know" what else there is to know.. which can be done in 5 minutes.. or expand to include more casual gamers or newbies.. with features that go a little bit in depth rather than just stating facts... 

Crawl. Walk. Run. Fly!
  • On The Table is a news show, so there's an element of "here's what's coming up." Unlike TableTop it's for folks who are a bit more invested in tabletop gaming rather than newbies. A lot of complaints we've gotten in the past is TableTop isn't for "real" games (this is from the pen and paper group).

So take it for what it is, an overview news show. I think even someone like me (who doesn't do anything with war gaming) really can get into the news element and go "that looks cool" and find games that I want to find out more about.